PDA

View Full Version : A Question About PS CS3

Jazzys Mom
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

I have just downloaded the trial of CS3 and am really lost as I have been using Digital Image Pro to scrap my pages with. I used to use PS7 to edit photos with but that is all since that was way before my change to digital scrapping. I will eventually take the classes if I buy CS3 but right now I am just trying to learn a little about it through the trial version

Here is my question.......

Can I open CS3 and ACDSee at the same time and drag and drop elements into PS3 from ACDSee? Thats what I do with DIP and I love working that way instead of having to open a fil all the time. I would like to be able to drag all my elements and photos into CS3 before I begin working on the page. Now, if I can drag and drop them do they each come in as a layer?

Thanks
Jazzys Mom

Andrea
03-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, you sure can!! I use ACDsee photo manager to open and organize my digi stuff. Just minimize acd see so the window is small enough that you can see photoshop open behind it. Then click on the file you want and drag it on to the photoshop canvas. The item will open as a new image file. Then, you can drag it onto your layout after that. Or...

You can also click once on your item in acdsee and go to Edit->Copy image (Not Edit->Copy). Then you can go to Photoshop and go Edit->Paste (or CTRL-V) and it will past as a new layer. :)

Hope that helps!

eb2177
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Andrea - do you happen to know if that works in Elements 5 too?

Andrea
03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I do not know, but Erin D. just taught me how to use the Tools->Open in Editor feature. You can go into there and browse to the .exe for Photoshop or Photoshop elements and set that program as default. Then, all you have to do is click on the image and type CTRL-E and it will automatically open it in your program. I give all of the credit to Erin on this one. I would assume that if the CTRL-E thing works in both programs that you can also drag and drop in PSE too.

Andrea - do you happen to know if that works in Elements 5 too?

eb2177
03-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Thank you! I don't have the ACDsee program yet, I currentlly use the Elements organizer for both photos and scrapstuff, in seperate catalogs. So it can take a long time to go back and forth. I've been looking at some of the other organizers out there so I can look at photos and scrapstuff at the same time. Thanks for the info, I will look into this more.

Jazzys Mom
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Thank you soooooo much for answering my question! I am so relieved that I can drag and drop in CS3. I had also forgotten about the Tools - Open In Editor feature in ACDSee. Have to try that too!

I had asked this same question on an Adobe forum and was told to do Elements as CS3 is overkill. Do any of you find its overkill or are there things in CS3 that you can't do in Elements?

Thanks
Jazzys Mom

Jazzys Mom
03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Ok, I just opened CS3 and ACDSee. Pulled a background paper into CS3 and it came in fine and opened onto the new 12 X 12 file I had made. Then I tried to pull another paper in and it REPLACED the first paper! Can you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong? I feel soooo stupid!

Jazzys Mom

Andrea
03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
There are things like text paths that you can't do in Elements. I don't know that it's overkill, but CS3 does cost a lot for scrapbooking only.

Are you sure it replaced the paper? Go to the window menu and see if both papers are still open. I tried it and it appears that it replaces it, but if you go to the window menu, you will see that both files are still open. It will open everything that you drag as a separate image. The only way to get them on additional layers is to copy and paste from ACD.

Ok, I just opened CS3 and ACDSee. Pulled a background paper into CS3 and it came in fine and opened onto the new 12 X 12 file I had made. Then I tried to pull another paper in and it REPLACED the first paper! Can you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong? I feel soooo stupid!

Jazzys Mom

Jazzys Mom
03-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Yep, you are right - they are all there in the window menu. So, now I would like to maybe put the frame over the paper or maybe another paper over the first paper. It won't allow that? I have to copy and paste from ACDSee?

Jazzys Mom

Andrea
04-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Yes, if you use the copy and past then it will paste as layers rather than a new image. :)

Yep, you are right - they are all there in the window menu. So, now I would like to maybe put the frame over the paper or maybe another paper over the first paper. It won't allow that? I have to copy and paste from ACDSee?

Jazzys Mom