PDA

View Full Version : Autism Resources?

HollyS
03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi all! My (Deb's too) brother and his wife have just learned that their daughter who is 3 years old has Autism. They are rolling up their sleeves and diving into research to find as many resources as they can get their hands on for programs, therapies, centers and financial aid mechanisms in the Orlando area specifically. If you know of web sites that are both national and local, please share those as well. Thanks in advance for any help or stories you can share.

mosser77
03-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Oh, gosh. Some of the greatest kids I know are autistic, but I know it's still heart breaking. ((HUGS)) to your family.

Autism Speaks is the best resource I can think of - they have a great website and it would probably be a great starting point for them:
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

schock77
03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
My partner in ADSR and Supreme Team member Melody sent me the link to this thread knowing how much I love my job. :biggrin:

I teach 3 to 5 year olds with autism in public school. LOTS of free services available in addition to all the private stuff, but tell them to beware, there are lots of "snake oil salesmen" some of which are doctors who will tell families anything to get their $ (it's criminal really!)

I've got TONS of stuff bookmarked on my computer at school... I'll see if I can get into my stuff (remote access is always iffy) and get you some links today.
Also, they can e-mail me if they every need ANYTHING- it's quite overwhelming at first so tons of questions pop up and its sometimes hard to know who to even ask. My email is my username@yahoo.

HollyS
03-12-2008, 06:26 AM
My partner in ADSR and Supreme Team member Melody sent me the link to this thread knowing how much I love my job. :biggrin:

I teach 3 to 5 year olds with autism in public school. LOTS of free services available in addition to all the private stuff, but tell them to beware, there are lots of "snake oil salesmen" some of which are doctors who will tell families anything to get their $ (it's criminal really!)

I've got TONS of stuff bookmarked on my computer at school... I'll see if I can get into my stuff (remote access is always iffy) and get you some links today.
Also, they can e-mail me if they every need ANYTHING- it's quite overwhelming at first so tons of questions pop up and its sometimes hard to know who to even ask. My email is my username@yahoo.

Wow that's so wonderful of you to offer these things...I will pass this on for sure :)

tweederbug
03-12-2008, 06:57 AM
We are going through the samething with my soon to be 3 year old. He is still getting test done but they are saying that he is borderline Aspergers. Here are a few links for you:
http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/?...CFQhqIgod5CP0-g

http://www.autism.com/index.htm

http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

http://www.aspergers.com/

schock77
03-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Tweederbug- I've got stuff for you too then. :) I went to a fantastic lecture by Dr.Temple Grandin- an adult with Aspergers- it was fascinating and her book "Thinking in Pictures" gives great insight too.

Many people with Aspergers are very happy and successful-especially when given appropriate training in social skills and pragmatic speech (conversation, sarcasm, idioms, etc.) and many are undiagnosed (Bill Gates -???)

tweederbug
03-12-2008, 07:13 AM
I would love to have some more info. Just PM if you like with links. I did research and from what I come up with..President John F Kenendy was undiagnosed with Aspergers! From what I read there is actually a Kennedy research lab/hospital that does research on Aspergers.

HollyS
03-31-2008, 07:54 AM

Hi Stephanie, I'm gonna have my sister-in-law email you. Her name is Cathy. Thanks a bunch!

ThoughtfilledMe
03-31-2008, 08:01 AM
My son is 8 years old and has been diagnosed as High Functioning Autism for four years. I was going to give you links, but it looks like everyone else has that well in hand. I would suggest they find their local Autism group who would have a much better idea of the local opportunities available. I just want to say that although their world has changed a lot with this diagnosis, it's not neccessarily in a completely bad way. My son has taught me so much and the way he views the world has made me realize you have to appreciate the small things like flowers growing wild or the clouds making up different shapes.

:goodluck:

tweederbug
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
How long can we get this kit for Autism? My husband doesn't get paid until friday and I really want this kit to help Autism research. We are still battling if our son will be diagnosed for good with Aspergers and I know first hand the struggles that we are up against.

HollyS
03-31-2008, 08:12 AM
My son is 8 years old and has been diagnosed as High Functioning Autism for four years. I was going to give you links, but it looks like everyone else has that well in hand. I would suggest they find their local Autism group who would have a much better idea of the local opportunities available. I just want to say that although their world has changed a lot with this diagnosis, it's not neccessarily in a completely bad way. My son has taught me so much and the way he views the world has made me realize you have to appreciate the small things like flowers growing wild or the clouds making up different shapes.

:goodluck:

Thank you for sharing your insight!

Debra
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
How long can we get this kit for Autism? My husband doesn't get paid until friday and I really want this kit to help Autism research. We are still battling if our son will be diagnosed for good with Aspergers and I know first hand the struggles that we are up against.

Hi Sheila, I just sent out an inquiry to find out how long the kit will be available... I'll holler back to you as soon as I hear something. Deagan's in my prayers.

Debra
03-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Was just informed that the promotion will run through the month of April, 2008.

HollyS
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
bumping...

schock77
04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Just got the kit and it took SO long to DL- it is HUGE!!! It is definitely worth the $ and goes to a great cause. Autism Speaks is an organization that uses most of its donations toward the cause itself and not overhead.

Did anyone catch "Night of Too Many Stars"- an autism fundraiser on comedy central?