PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Spider!

HollyS
02-26-2008, 01:29 PM
That's what my boys and I came in yelling to my manly hubby last night!

We came home from baseball and it was dark. I normally park further up on the driveway closest to the garage door and my hubby parks further down so we don't ding each other's doors. Well last night, we reversed it because he got home before me. I'll tell you why this is relavant to the story a little later on....

So, anyway, hubby comes out and gets big eyes! I kid you not! This thing was as big as a half dollar...and no it wasn't a tarantula. So he goes in the house and comes out with a can of spray. Realizing that it's hanging high up from a tree, he goes back in to get a little foot ladder and starts a spraying and spraying and spraying and....this thing would not budge except to crawl back up it's thread into the tree limb where we couldn't see it. Now...if we stood just at the right angle.....we got a glimpse of the spider web this thing was calling as it's home. UM...............can anyone say HUGE! At least two feet wide I tell you! :eek1

So, hubby keeps spraying and I go in the house to grab my camera thinking I can get a pic of the spider and web. DUH, a little hard but nontheless, I try. So we manage to spray the thing enough that it falls to the ground and goes limp...or so we thought. All the while I'm steady repositioning myself to get a good pic of the web and i end up leaning against him. Well, one my son yells out that "IT'S MOVING!" and my hubby just about runs me over to get away from the thing all the while screaming at me "TO GET OFF HIM"! I nearly pee'd my pants right there laughing so hard! Here's my manly and nature loving hubby scared of a little (ok well big) spider! It's was hilarious! :twitcy:

Ok, well turns out the thing went limp again...cuz hubby sprayed some more. Hubby turned his attention to the web and started breaking it up with a broom handle. What do you think was still attached to the web?????????? You guessed it! The spider...........so once again, one of my son's yelled "IT'S MOVING" and hubby went running again. I announced that I was no longer going to be parking under that dang tree and instead would be parking on our front lawn! HAH! I so wish I got this on video!

Now all the while this is going on, my oldest son who is in 4th grade announced that he thinks his teacher will know what kind of spider it is. So this morning hubby remembered that and decided on his own to go out and pick the dang thing up with kitchen tongs (sp?) and put it in a baggie. He hands it to Sean and walks away doing the heeebie jeebie or willies dance! Yes, Sean took it to school. Can't wait to hear how that went...can you imagine???????

The day before all this happened, hubby brings up that he saw two snakes while mowing the grass. And I'm like icky! And he said that that's no biggie but that if they were spiders it would be a different story. What a coincidence that was!

Finally, the reason I brought up where we park on the driveway is I got to thinkin about the fact that had I parked where I normally do, I would have opened my door to the web and where do you think the spider would have ended up...either on me or in my car! ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! :no: :head_hurts_kr:

Melody
02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm laughing so hard right now Holly! That's hilarious. I wish you had got it on video too. You'll have to tell us if your son's teacher knows what it is too. TFS!

ScrappinBikerChick
02-26-2008, 02:04 PM
oh Holly! remind me not to park under any trees....EVER!

Helen
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL - that is soooooooooooo funny! I needed that today!
thanks for sharing this funny story! I hate spiders - though I will kill them now - have to - we live in the country and I'm home by myself and we get them a lot now.

my brothers used to tease me with spiders growing up.

You know what I ended up giving my stepdaughters and I have one too - it's a really nifty bug vacuum I found in a store - I think sharper image. It works like a charm. the girls love it and use it all the time - my granddaughters even know how to use it now too - and they are only 4 and 6. lol

before that I used to use my vacuum cleaner and I'd empty the bag into a trash bag and then take that outside. we have one of those vacs now that is built in to the walls and it sucks stuff downstairs to a big container. thank goodness that is sealed.

next time - use a vac -works like a charm.

ROFL

ScrapShana
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
That sound like something that would happen at our house! Even my son won't kill a big spider! LOL The only "man" around here that will is my cat, Buttons. LMBO
Just the thought of that spider getting on you as you got out of your car gives me the heebie jeebies! Ewwwww! Cold chills! LOL
What a great story, thanks for sharing the laugh Holly!!!

Andrea
02-26-2008, 07:18 PM
How funny! I think my husband would have done the same thing!! :laugh:

emst
02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
OMG Holly, it's after 10:00, I just got home and the DH is asleep behind me in bed and I am laughing so hard I can't stop, this is just too funny. I can't wait to read this to him in the morning. Your description was so great I could actually see this, thanks for the best laugh I've had all day.

Maisie
02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
OH MY God!!
I am so scared of spiders!!!
If I saw one that big, I would literally have a heart attack!
My BIL was afraid of spiders too! It's too funny to watch these big ol' manly men, running and screaming!!!

Mom_of_5
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
LMBO!

You did such a great job of telling this story! I HATE spiders! We have so many of them here -- everyone tells me it's cuz of the lake -- something to do with the moisture. Lucky for me, dh is not afraid of them in any way!

HollyS
02-28-2008, 04:59 AM
Hi ladies...figured I'd give an update. Well the update isn't as exciting as the story but here it goes...

Sean did take it into classes and all the kids oooh'd and ahhhhhh'd. The teacher ended up not knowing what kind of spider it was. I was talking with their care provider before school let out and shared the story with her and warned her that he might be bringing that thing back home from school. She was like.........no!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, she's talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk because she did allow him to bring to her house and they even went as far as looking it up on the internet and found it was some kind of Palm Spider (um, makes sense here!) and that it's not poisonous. Ok, but it can still bite! LOL

lillypug34
02-28-2008, 05:10 AM
LOL I hadn't seen this post before today ... I can just picture all of you running around shrieking! At least you have a manly husband to save the day. My husband is deathly afraid of spiders so I have take care of the creepy crawlies! YUCK.

twirlyjoy
03-01-2008, 10:40 AM
lol! Am so glad we don;t have big or biting spiders over here!!!