PDA

View Full Version : Question... What's Been Your Best Strategy

Debra
02-23-2008, 09:15 AM
To turn your friends and family on to digiscrapping?

I have so many I'd love to share this hobby with but I sure find it difficult to even introduce it to them. Heck, I can't even get my Mom to try it, and I have an Aunt who's so creative and artistic but truly won't even begin to look into digiscrapping.

I'm jealous of Elaine's DD... She's gotta a Digiscrapping Grandma and boy.. an amazing one at that!

So, how do you do it? Have you ever been able to show someone digiscrapping and really turn them on to it?

rachnmaddie
02-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Well, my sister is definitely interested, especially when she sees my hosue with no 'scrap-mess'. She is still somewhat resisting the digital - she is a paper scrapper and doesn't know if she will be TOTALLY FULFILLED with the digi.

My online friends get totally into it when they visit my blog, or it could be that I talk about it constantly and they just finally give in :)

TSavoie11
02-23-2008, 09:41 AM
My friend, Lori, is wanting to start trying it out! First, I got her into paper scrapping, but she just never did it! Then, after I found Picaboo (it's kind of like making a Shutterfly book-just drag and drop) I told her about it and she loved it. Now, she wants a program so she can do more by herself. She loves how my pages look and wants hers to look more like that. So, I'd say for my friends...it's baby steps! LOL!

ABitDaffy
02-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Showing off my layouts I got printed here! :laugh: And my printed Shutterfly books. I think seeing layouts in a physical form helps a lot more than seeing them in digital format. Several of my friends have asked about it and some people from my Mom's group. You know I wish there was a way to have like a Digiscrapping workshop where people could come for a few hours and sit down at a laptop and bring their pictures and see how much fun it is and easy, too...you know, kind of like those old Creative Memories parties (which I guess they still have :laugh:) but in a digital format....

alfenner
02-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Recently I've turned a lot of people to digiscrapping (or at least to investigating it) by showing off my Memory Purse -- I've got a few gals that ask me every couple weeks if I have new inserts, and many many who I've at least explained digiscrapping to! I do find that it's difficult to explain to someone that's never paper scrapped before, as they don't understand the whole concept (and sometimes even if they have it's difficult!). My mom even talks to people about it (she doesn't scrap, period) when she shows them her brag book pages! hehe

WenRob
02-23-2008, 11:42 AM
My cousin (bethb)and cousin in law (lotokids) started posting pages on our family website and hooked me right away. I made siggys for friends on another site and this seemed like a higher (much higher!) level. I had no idea such a great artistic outlet was out there waiting to be had. I've tried in vain to get my SIL interested but she's a hardcore paper scrapper and totally resists. I've just ordered some prints from here so maybe that will inerest her. My sister is a lost cause when it comes to crafty but I'm hoping to start teaching Tiana, maybe on Spring Break.

tweederbug
02-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I did some pages for my sister and printed them out. She hasn't seen them yet but I know that when she sees them tomorrow she will like them. She has already said that she likes my pages that I do of my kids so I think once she sees these of her kids,she will like.
I honestly think that doing them is one thing but when they are printed out and you can actually see the quality of the printed finished product it is a different story. She still wants me to show her how to do everything on the computer so we may have a new digital scrapbooker on our hands :wink:!

HollyS
02-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree that it's showing off printed pages that do the trick! I just hosted a bridal shower and my Mother In Law showed off her brag book, calendar and grand canyon album to everyone and we got lots of oohs and aaahs. Then the bride to be opened her gift which was a framed print of her and her fiance. That had a great reception. So I got the names and email addresses of those that showed interest and told them I'd be emailing them with some very special ....... ???? Oh wait, Deb says I have to hush so you all will have to keep an eye out for what we are planning!

Sexy__Eyes
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I agree that it's showing off printed pages that do the trick! I just hosted a bridal shower and my Mother In Law showed off her brag book, calendar and grand canyon album to everyone and we got lots of oohs and aaahs. Then the bride to be opened her gift which was a framed print of her and her fiance. That had a great reception. So I got the names and email addresses of those that showed interest and told them I'd be emailing them with some very special ....... ???? Oh wait, Deb says I have to hush so you all will have to keep an eye out for what we are planning!

TEASE

WenRob
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM

MEGA TEASE!!!!!!!

ScrapShana
02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
I have been thinking how nice it would be to have a party just like the one you described. There are a ton of paper scrappers in my area, and they constantly complain about the mess, the mess, the mess! I have talked about my new obsession with digital but their reaction is like mine was to begin with (not sure if it will be as fulfilling as getting your hands on paper). I KNOW if I could get them in front of a laptop and walk them through a layout, they would be hooked. If I only had a few thousand dollars to buy those laptops!

Anyone know of how to get funding for such a thing?

Showing off my layouts I got printed here! :laugh: And my printed Shutterfly books. I think seeing layouts in a physical form helps a lot more than seeing them in digital format. Several of my friends have asked about it and some people from my Mom's group. You know I wish there was a way to have like a Digiscrapping workshop where people could come for a few hours and sit down at a laptop and bring their pictures and see how much fun it is and easy, too...you know, kind of like those old Creative Memories parties (which I guess they still have :laugh:) but in a digital format....

Debra
02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
I agree that the printing part must really be helpful... but it sure hasn't had that big of an impression on this stubborn Mom or Aunt of ours!

hummie
02-25-2008, 06:11 AM
I've not found anything that works---I'm a loner around here---no one else is interested.

Sexy__Eyes
02-25-2008, 07:20 AM
I printed out a book for my mom and dads anniversary as a gift to them. They cant stop talking about it. Yesterday I called my sister and asked for some of her photos ( her birthday is in May, thought she might like a book also :wink:).
Ive NEVER seen my sister copy photos to discs for me AND bring them by my house so fast. I think she might have a suspition lol. I know my mom and sister wont try, they come up with every excuse, but all they do is talk about it to thier friends.

Andrea
02-25-2008, 09:08 AM
I gave my sister in law a copy of PSE and also a list of places to download freebies and that didn't work, so I don't know! :laugh:

Debra
03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
LOL... seems we aren't very successful at this!

Maisie
03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I've been trying to turn friends and family to the dark side. lol!!!
No luck so far.