PDA

View Full Version : Reminder Regarding Piracy

emst
02-18-2008, 08:18 PM
In light of all the recent pirating happening in the digital scrapping community as a whole, everyone Please Honor the TOU's of the Designers and Please No Pirating. The designers work hard on their kits. That means no sharing with friends, neighbors and yes not even with other family members.

When you purchase a kit take a minute to read their Terms of Use

Debra
02-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks so much for bringing this up Elaine... and thanks so much to our community for respecting our Designers and eachother and honoring the rules.

tweederbug
02-23-2008, 05:02 AM
No sharing here...I am the only one who does this in my family and friend circle. I am trying to get my sister into digital scrapboooking. I have done some pages for her and she likes them but wants to see them printed out.
I do agree that the Designers,rather here or from other sites work hard and need to have the respect of their TOU.

Debra
02-23-2008, 05:27 AM
No sharing here...I am the only one who does this in my family and friend circle. I am trying to get my sister into digital scrapboooking. I have done some pages for her and she likes them but wants to see them printed out.
I do agree that the Designers,rather here or from other sites work hard and need to have the respect of their TOU.

Good luck with your Sister Sheila... It took us having GDS up and running for over 6 months before Holly ever scrapped a page!! :twitcy:

alfenner
02-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Thank you Elaine!

Everyone's TOUs are slightly different.

Also, please remember that not every designer allows scrap for hire use of their kits. If it doesn't say so in their TOU, or if you're ever in doubt of the use of anything (this includes freebies, templates, etc) it's better to ask than to violate their TOU. Not only is it disrespectful, it's also against the law!

ozchicki
02-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Help the newbie(ish) out. What does scrap for hire entail?

Also, please remember that not every designer allows scrap for hire use of their kits. If it doesn't say so in their TOU, or if you're ever in doubt of the use of anything (this includes freebies, templates, etc) it's better to ask than to violate their TOU. Not only is it disrespectful, it's also against the law!

alfenner
02-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Help the newbie(ish) out. What does scrap for hire entail?

Scrap for hire (aka S4H) is where someone pays you to scrap their photos for them. Not to be confused with scrapping a brag book, say, and giving it as a gift to your mom -- that's perfectly fine. Technically S4H is commercial use, so those that only allow personal use (unless otherwise marked specifically for S4H) should not be used for S4H.

Hope that helps!

ozchicki
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Ah, that makes sense. So making a page as a gift, is not hiring as you are not being paid to do it?

alfenner
02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
You got it! :wink:

Amberpony
04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Best they go direct to the designer & pay for it too! That includes download time & thank yous

GardenGirl05
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I know this is a slightly different subject, but I am wondering if anyone knows what the law is regarding photographs of objects to use in layouts. Personally, I prefer to have photo-realistic elements. For example, instead of creating "fake" buttons in PS, I want to use real photos of buttons. I also love to take photos of silk or other flowers. I want real photos of ribbon, string, yarn, and beads. These seem like pretty general craft items that would be difficult to claim a "copyright" on, but what about appliques or charms that are a specific design? I would like to sell kits with realistic items in them, but I have no idea what the law would be about this. It seems like fair use law doesn't totally apply here. Does anyone know? TIA

nana13
05-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Great question, Larisa. Although I don't make kits, I'm interested in seeing that answer also.

Digi is all new to me, and this thread has helped answer a lot of questions. Although I did know about piracy. In fact, you will laugh at this----when I first started digi, my friend, who makes and sell kits sat me down and told me all the 'NO's" about digi scrapping, mostly the piracy.

So, one day, another friend, who thought she as doing me a favor, send me a CD with some kits on it. When I opened it and realized what it was---I froze!!! I was waiting for the sirens to go off, and the police to come charging into my home and drag me away!!!!
I then broke the CD in half and threw it in the garbage!! HONEST!!!! I did!!!! Like I said, being new to digi, I figured that was best. Sadly, when I told her, she just laughed and said "nobody cares". How sad!!!

I know, from my friend who designs and sells kits, the hard work that goes into them. So, I will agree with what has already been said----DON'T SHARE!! Good grief---they arn't THAT expensive----buy your own!!!!!

And speaking of buying your own-----one more note. PLEASE give designers their credit due when you upload. This is how I have found and purchased many of my kits. In fact, I was browsing the gallery here, this morning, and saw something on a layout that I LOVED. She had listed the designer here at GDS, and I am definitely buying that kit!!!!

OK, I am jumping off my soap-box-----THUD!!!!!!!:twitcy:

zakirahzakaria
05-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the reminder!

zakirahzakaria
05-12-2008, 05:25 AM
So, one day, another friend, who thought she as doing me a favor, send me a CD with some kits on it. When I opened it and realized what it was---I froze!!! I was waiting for the sirens to go off, and the police to come charging into my home and drag me away!!!!
I then broke the CD in half and threw it in the garbage!!

ROFL!!! I understand how it feels!!

Sexy__Eyes
05-12-2008, 05:49 AM
I know this is a slightly different subject, but I am wondering if anyone knows what the law is regarding photographs of objects to use in layouts. Personally, I prefer to have photo-realistic elements. For example, instead of creating "fake" buttons in PS, I want to use real photos of buttons. I also love to take photos of silk or other flowers. I want real photos of ribbon, string, yarn, and beads. These seem like pretty general craft items that would be difficult to claim a "copyright" on, but what about appliques or charms that are a specific design? I would like to sell kits with realistic items in them, but I have no idea what the law would be about this. It seems like fair use law doesn't totally apply here. Does anyone know? TIA

Oh wow where do you sell from? I am looking for realistic elements.

Waffled
05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
No sharing here either

GardenGirl05
05-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh wow where do you sell from? I am looking for realistic elements.
I don't sell from anywhere ... yet. But I am working on it. ;)

precious
09-19-2008, 09:45 PM
so it is OK to photogaph soemhting like a botton, make it a photoshop layer and sell it?

Muma
09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Hypothetical situation -

DH or DD becomes interested in scrapbooking. Would they be able to use the kits on my PC to create their LOs? DH has his own PC but DD does not. Would DH have to purchase his own kits or could he sit at my PC and the kits there? BTW I'm the only one that scraps in this house but I do know DH wants to learn so he can make me LOs for my Birthdays etc ....

I can understand not sharing between family members that live in another house but am totally unsure what the TOU would be if that family member lives in the same house. What if there is only one PC in the house? How would that work? I'm sure others would like to know to.

Thanks Sue xx

Muma
09-19-2008, 11:48 PM

I would imagine if you owned said Item and took the photo yourself .... your photo is copyrighted to you and you can do whatever you wish with it. Just my opinion though .... you can always send an email to the copyright office and find out. They are pretty good like that, a friend once wrote off to find out about fonts and if they are copyrightable .... scalable fonts are copyrighted as she found out but we obviously use them under the fair use law.

I also know that some of the realistic items in kits and designer tools are scanned in and not photographed.

winddomino
08-04-2009, 09:19 PM

donakat
08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm glad this thread got bumped as it's good to keep people aware of what Terms of Use are. Another similar issue has been cropping up in the gallery with respect to crediting designers and photographers. Some layouts use photos from photosharing sites without crediting the individual photographer--that's not nice! They deserve to be credited just as designers of kits do.

And, when you use pieces of a collab kit from another site, credit the individual designers whose work you used. You are no doubt aware that you're not supposed to mention or link to websites or blogs in your gallery descriptions--the credits line is meant for those designers' and photographers' names.

Christie
10-07-2009, 11:26 AM
No sharing here, i am the only person in my family/friends that does it digital

landofoz
10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
No sharing here, i am the only person in my family/friends that does it digital

I agree, only Dh and Gracie here. I asked them would they like to learn digi scrapping.
well !Dh said no!:no: and Gracie said :no: Woof! woof ,she's my wee Maltese dog.:biggrin:

daisydilly
10-08-2009, 07:50 AM
even before i started into digital scrapbooking i learned about copyrights and likes from my woodworking business then later about the no sharing from pc crafters hugbugs. i make a written list of all my kits (free or bought) and highlight the S4H ones in yellow. That way I know which are safe to use for that line of business. I have noticed that most designers do allow you to post layouts made with their kits as long as you give them credit.

Surfs Up
10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Its a good thing most of us were brought up to respect on honor each other, but I was just talking to my mother today about the kids around my community who have no respect nor honor for anything or anyone is seems. They don't follow rules or do what they are told with respect and are so rude. But I have discovered the main reason for this is the parents in large part........they just don't spend the time with their children that they use to. But also the parents of some of these kids teach by example and are not willing to follow rules they don't like and don't think their children should have too either. I worry for all our futures and can only hope things will get better.

Scrappinsass
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I tried to get my g/f in Canada interested in Digi~scrapping and explained the entire concept to her. She then said she thought it was too expensive for her. I told her if she's willing to put in the time, she can find everything she needs by looking for the freebies.

That may even be an idea for a GDS challenge.. a page made from only the DD... hehe..

Anyway - I think all the credits should go to the designers who do all the work and I strive to use only material where I know who's done it so the credit goes to them. All my photos I take myself (or hubbies/kids) - because why would I want to scrap photos from the internet? shee.. These are my memories - not some strangers. Anyway... I think common sense rules and most people will do the right thing. :biggrin:

Fairy
01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
thank you for the information, it's true we have to know which are the use conditions before .:vb_chirolp_iei:

Surfs Up
01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
If you look around on the net, there are truely a lot of freebies out there!!! Just make sure the site or blog you are getting them from is legitimate and has not taken them from someone else without permission. I have a box full of disks with images I have downloaded for free on the net over the last 8 years. Some are in public domain, some are not......but all were given for personal use and free!!! You just have to look for them! :biggrin:

Surfs Up
04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
In light of all the stealing going on, yes I would say all of you should be very careful. Go check out Shadowhouse Creations blogspot...the artist that resides there is not very happy today and I don't blame her!
:no: