PDA

View Full Version : How on earth do you keep everything organized?

nikkiana
02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
This is probably just a silly n00b question, but the one thing that I'm really finding overwhelming about digiscrapping is keeping all my files organized... I have a Mac so I'm sort of using iPhoto to keep them organized, I have an album specifically for my digiscrap stuff, but I'm frustrated with that because when I go to look at my photos, I have all these digiscrap images mixed in with my normal photos. (I use iScrapbook and since it integrates with iPhoto, that's the easiest way it seems.... but its annoying).

I also seem to mix and match from sets a lot, and while I'd like to be giving the creators of the elements and papers I'm using credit, I can't seem to remember where I got half of this stuff from because I go on mass downloading binges. Anyone else have this issue? Is it faux pas not to credit or should I not worry?

twirlyjoy
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't know anything at all about Macs, so am no help at all there I'm afraid!

However, it is very important to give credit to the designer whose work you have used. The vast majority of designers have it in their terms of use that if you are uploading LOs with items they have created, then you MUST credit them. Besides that, it is correct etiquette to do so.

I don't tend to mix and match between kits very much, but what I do is to keep a piece of paper by the side of my computer and just jot down whose stuff I am using- a bit old-fashioned maybe, but it works for me!

As for when you go on your mass downloading binges, the majority of kits you download will have a terms of use in with them with the name of the creator of the kit, and most designers now label their items with their names too.

inge
02-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Not specific for Mac but a while ago their was a tread about it...See if I can bump it for you.

I rename all the stuff I download (site_designer_kit_name). Then I use CS2 and "insert" all the items I use with the command 'place' (under file) this way the element is inserted as a layer named identical as it was in your folder instead of layer 1, layer 2 and so on. You have all the information you need for credits in your layers.

You could use the notetool as well, I did that when I scrapped with 7.0.

inge
02-11-2008, 05:13 AM
http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65095#post65095

WenRob
02-11-2008, 07:16 AM
I've learned to unzip one kit at a time. I make a new folder with the designer's name and the name of the kit. I put a preview of the kit (which has her name and the name the kit as well) and TOU. Then I take the element folders(if there are more than one of each I combine them) and paper folders and drop those into this one and get rid of all the extra folders. This way I can quickly see who and what the kit is without having to open everything up.
Even being a newbie myself I've found that I get annoyed when I see people toss up LO's w/no info. One, the designer's deserve credit and two, there are those of us who may like it and want to use but can't because we have no idea who did it.
Like Joy, I make myself a little list as I go or because of the way I know set up, opening my digiscrapping file, I just have to hover over a folder and it will give me the info. I am looking into an organizing program though, already my collection is getting way to big!:laugh:

Victoria32
02-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I use Windows. so don't know if this will work on a mac as well, but I have a seperate folder in the "My Pictures" labelled as Go Digital, and inside of the this folder, I have seperate folders for each of the GDS designers whose products I have with their names as the file title. I place each kit or item by the designer into their own folder. After unzipping, the combine the pieces in the folder into one file (if there is more than 1 file for the kit download, and get rid of the extra folders), but keep each item intact within the folder for that kit. I coose my folder view as "thumbnails" so I can see what each folder contains. I keep my collabe kits intact with the name of the kit and the month.
I believe that it is required to give proper credits for all items used. If I'm using items from more than one kit, or designer as in the Collabe kit challenge, I open a notepad on my desktop and keep track of the items I use as I go along, and save this with the name of my file. When I go to post my LO, I just copy and paste from the notepad and my credits are done.

nikkiana
02-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Hrm... Well the dileiscrapmma I guess I have is my workflow... Most of the time, I use a program for the Mac called iScrapbook. The nifty feature of iScrapbook is the fact that it integrates with iPhoto. There's a sidebar that displays all the photos and elements I have imported to iPhoto and all I have to do is drag and drop.

There are two problems with this method, by importing to iPhoto and then deleting all the original downloads, I managed to lose all the .txt readmes that might have come with them. In most cases it doesn't matter because usually there's a "cover sheet" with the creators name and set name on it... but there are a few where I can't account for where I got them.

Two, since I'm dragging and dropping from the iPhoto structure, which has all my digiscrap stuff in one album mixed together, I usually miss who made what because I'm not looking at the underlying file structure to get my files, which if I was using something like CS2 I would be....

I'm guessing what I'll probably have to do is create albums for each set, which isn't really thrillign because I liked just being able to scroll through and see everything I had in one place. :-/

cmcariann
02-11-2008, 07:45 AM
I use Creative Memories StoryBook Creator Plus and have all my kits organized by location (then when I save them I try and chage the name to include the designer and the kit name.) I also have saved in a folder the preview pages for most of the kits I have... I tend to stay within a location (GDS, atomic cupcake, GottaPixel, etc..) when I scrap... that helps when I am uploading stuff I know that most of the pieces on the page came from the site I am uploading too...

zakirahzakaria
02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Have you tried ACD See? You can tag your scrapping items (i.e. ribbons, brads, papers, etc), rate them (1-5 stars) and even put them in the image basket.

Tagging can be tedious in the first place, but you'll find it extremely useful afterwards. After tagging all your scrapping stuff, whenever you need a certain thing like a ribbon, just type in "ribbon" in the Search box and voila, you'll see all your ribbons (even the ones you forgot that you have!).

Image basket is another useful tool I love in ACD See. When choosing the stuff I want to use for a page in ACD See, I'll drag and drop the stuff that I want to the image basket, and when I've got everything I want, I simply select all of the stuff in the image basket and drag & drop them to PS3. I'll save the stuff in my image basket to my Favorites folder (within ACD See too) and I can close ACD See without losing the things I've picked for the page. When I'm ready to write the credits, I'll open ACD See again and open my Favorites folder, and there they are, ready to be listed in the credits!

Another method I use is to have a special "Scrapbooking" folder in my hard drive. The subfolders in my Scrapping folders are: Digital Freebies, CTs (stuff that I got from my CTs), Layouts, Scraplift (special folder where I saved the LOs I find inspirational and potential to be scraplifted :D).

I don't have problems with other folders, but for the Freebies folder, there's too many things so I created another subfolders:

A-F
G-L
M-Q
R-Z
QPs
Collab, No TOU, etc.

Screenshot 1:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/zakirahzakaria/screen1-1.jpg

And within those subfolders, I saved all freebies according to the designer names:

Screenshot 2 (from my R-Z folder):

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/zakirahzakaria/screen2.jpg

Also, I created a Notepad file where I listed the names of all designers that I have their freebies (see screenshot 1). I keep this file updated whenever I download freebies from 'new' designers.

Phew, that's it. Took me a while to post this. I hope that helps. Anyone had better ways to organize scrapping stuff? Coz I still have problems with this method, lol!

nikkiana
02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
ACD See wouldn't work for me because I have a Mac, but I do think I have come up with a solution for my situation.... which I'll share when I'm finished setting up because it might be a helpful solution for Mac users.

cmcariann
02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
can't wait to hear , I have a friend who is a MAC user and wants to start digi... I will tell her about iscrapbook and make sure she is set that way..