PDA

View Full Version : I need camera recommendations ASAP!

schock77
02-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, I went to Kansas Thursday for a funeral. In addition to being shocked by snow (we just don't do cold down in Texas) I had a few casualties.

My camera was in my carry-on safely under my seat (I thought), but the guy sitting behind me kept kicking his feet under my seat and when we arrived at the hotel, I find my camera lens stuck. So my camera is basically broken. Then my EHD cable was lost when we switched planes coming home.

The good news? I get to buy a second EHD AND a new camera!!! And my HUSBAND suggested this! :eek1 So before he realizes how much money he'll be out, I need recommendations for a good camera. I have used Kodak in the past and had similar lens problems (without the help of someone kicking the camera) but this last one was a Canon point-and-shoot type.
I would LOVE to hear which camera you use and any pros/cons about it. Thanks in advance!:wink:

pSyren
02-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I use SLR's, don't know if you want to get into that but I have heard that the Canon G9 point and shoot is very good. Fujifilm have a great range of SLR look point and shoots. I've used Fuji in the past.
For SLR's I love my Canon 40D and 20D.
and I don't recommend Olympus point and shoots. I have one that is so bad I have only used it twice.

ScrapShana
02-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey Stephanie. Sorry to hear about your camera. Hope you got to salvage any pics you had on there.

I use a Canon Xti, which I LOVE. Takes great shots, easy to use (don't be intimidated if you've never had an SLR, they're more simple than they look), and works well with hard to shoot scenes, like night, candlelight and motion shots.

Cons, the lenses are expensive. It doens't have a long zoom range if you get the kit with the lens included. A good additional lens will set you back anywhere from $250-$2,000.

If you have the money to invest in an SLR, I would highly recommend this camera though. ;)

twirlyjoy
02-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a kodak z740 which I absolutely love! I lovew the fact that it shoots perfectly in auto mode, but if I want access to the camera's manual settings, I can do that too! It also has a great zoom on it which I use an awful lot - and you can also buy extra lenses if you want to!

Not a dSLR, but a bit more than a point and shoot - I love it!

Am not sure that they actually make that model anymore, but they do something very similar.

tweederbug
02-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XTi and I love it. I am so happy with it!

schock77
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
So many options out there. I'm waiting on the EHD afterall (WD sells a replacement power cord for $10 so I can't justify buying another one...yet...)
So I will probably have money to spend, but I don't know about 500-600 bucks! I kind of want to jump into the dslr thing, but not sure I'd even know what to do with one either.