PDA

View Full Version : reminder to all..save often save early!

anitastreet
01-24-2008, 12:21 AM
argh!!! I should know better..I've been up for hours working on what was turning into a wonderful layout for the font challenge...really cute Christmas Tree decorating pics of the girls...using Jessica's Yule Tide..I had every element open and my email and my browser..and my Window's Explorer..and you guessed it..PSP locked up and closed..and I lost 3 hours worth of work... I know it won't take that long to recreate..as I had tried out every paper and several photos .. so I think I can remember what worked and what didn't..but man..I'm SO bummed to have lost that layout..and I'm too tired to start over tonight!

I know you all know to save..but I just needed to vent.. I need to save much more often then I do....most times it's not till I'm finished..but maybe tonight will teach me! (nah.. it won't..it should..but it won't...oh yes, for a few days it will but will I continue to save often...I don't know!

thanks for letting me rant! :)

twirlyjoy
01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
oh no how awful!

I know this won't help for this time, but for the future, PSP does actually have an autosave feature which you can set to save your work as often as you want - it has rescued me numerous times!

pSyren
01-24-2008, 01:22 AM
I just lost the most detailed layout I've every done!
Photoshop crashed.
Sob.
I was distracted by jnr trying to climb in my lap and clicked on something without looking, don't know what but it killed everything.
I've checked for temp files and there's nothing I can restore.
I don't think I can bring myself to start that layout again.

inge
01-24-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm not a "saving" girl myself so you won't hear me say anything ! I too know I should save more often but in reality, neehh.

Does the auto save really does things automaticly ? Doesn't it slow your program a lot ?

mosser77
01-24-2008, 01:29 AM
OH! Tears for Anita and Rebecca!!

It takes forever for my computer to save, so I don't do it as often as I should....but thanks for the reminder!!

Sexy__Eyes
01-24-2008, 02:43 AM
That has happened to me several times. Its a pain. I did finally set my PSP on auto save but it will slow down your computer. At first I had it save every 10 minutes but readjusted it to save every 20 minutes. If it does crash at least the bulk of it is saved. Good luck.

twirlyjoy
01-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Does the auto save really does things automaticly ? Doesn't it slow your program a lot ?

Yes, it really does save them - as temp files. I have mine set to save every 20 minutes (I think!!) and it doesn't seem to slow my computer down - not that I notice anyway. And if it does slow it down a little bit every 20 minutes, then thats much better, as far as I as I'm concerned at any rate, than taking the time to have to re-do a whole lost LO!!

anitastreet
01-24-2008, 04:38 AM
thanks.. I had forgotten about auto save.. I typically don't use any autosave features because so many times I start with a paper..and don't want to save my file as a change to my paper...guess I need to do an initial 'save as' when I start so I don't end up overwriting something.

thanks...sorry to hear I'm not the only one who had this happen! it is SO frustrating...reminds me, I better back up my photos again..it's been a while and my card it my camera is getting full.. I had to delete anyting till I have a backup of my photos to DVD as well as my HD.

tborntreger
01-24-2008, 04:46 AM
oh no ladies. I know exactly how you are feeling. I don't know how many times this has happened to me too. I feel so sick when PS crashes on me b4 i have saved. Once i was working on a kit and (stupidly) hadn't saved hardly anything and it crashed. I was really sick then! Won't do that again.

emst
01-24-2008, 04:50 AM
I know how you feel too Anita, I've done that and the thing is in Andrea's beginner class she said about hitting the button so that it saves your layout to that point and I always forget to do that, I should remember to do it but I don't.

petitflocondeneige
01-24-2008, 05:49 AM
I have almost no crash now that I use linux-ubuntu instead of windows, but I have experienced the same issues with electrical problems. I live in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes everything is shut down. It lasts less than 1 sec, but that's enough to restart the computer!

KattyZak
01-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Oh, I feel your pain because I've been there too many times - most recently when I was 95% or more done with the 2nd ST round...so now I am much better about saving but I am sure I am already falling into my old ways.

WenRob
01-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm so sorry that has happened to you!
Even before I started digi scrapping I realized PSP is a fickle little wench. Some days I can leave her on and work all day with no problems and others it can be just an hour and she gets tired and says "screw this!" (yes I know, I have too much of an attachment) I have gotten in the habit of saving after every major change, it's a pain in the butt, but boy has it saved me! I didn't know PSP had an autosave feature. I know about auto preserve which has saved my butt more then a few times. I'll have to check it out.