PDA

View Full Version : Drop Shadows

lillypug34
01-23-2008, 06:46 AM
For most items, the black color is just fine. But sometimes, it is more realistic to make your shadow the same hue of your background paper but darker.

After you see the difference, you will have a better understanding.

-Open a background paper of your choosing.

-Open the element you would like to drop shadow, and place it on top of your background. Add a standard "low" drop shadow. Name it Element 1.

-Drag another copy of the same element onto the paper next to the first element. Name it Element 2.

-Duplicate Element 2 and name it Shadow. Place the shadow layer below the Element 2 layer.

-Right-click on the shadow thumbnail and choose "Select Layer Transparency" or "Select Pixels". This will put "marching ants" around your element. What we want to do is "fill" this layer with a color that is the same shade of our background but darker.

-Edit>Fill Selection. A new dialog box will appear. Here, you want to select "Use Color" from the drop down menu, and using the mouse, move the cursor over the background until the Eyedropper Tool appears. Select the background color. Then go to the Color Picker and directly below the circle selector on the Color Picker, select a darker blue than the background color. Choose a color that would make a realistic shadow color.

-Click OK and Select>Deselect to get rid of the marching ants

-Look at your layers menu and you will see that shadow layer is now filled with the color you just selected. This is your new shadow!

-Next, we want to put the shadow in a realistic place. Select the shadow layer. Move this layer down two spaces (or pixels) and to the right two spaces (or pixels), using the arrow keys on your keyboard. This is your most natural size and placement of a shadow, but again, this is all personal preference.

-The shadow is in place, now all we need to do is soften it. First, let's put a little less Opacity in it. Making sure the shadow layer is active, go up to the Opacity slide bar and slide it left, to about 70%.

-Finally, we want to "blur" it up just a bit, so the shadow isn't so harsh. With the layer still active, go to Filter> Blur> Gaussian Blur. Choose a radius of about 7.8 to 8.8 pixels. Select "OK."

-You now have the new and improved drop shadow!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x266/tilley32/Example.jpg

Special thanks to Theresa Kavouras

HollyS
01-23-2008, 06:57 AM
wonderful, thanks Beckie!

charliesnana
01-23-2008, 07:19 AM
I have unpacked my supplies. They are on standby for the chat this evenng, Beckie.

gigichet
01-23-2008, 07:38 AM
downloading my supplies as we speak...I can't wait to learn new things tonight

Rae's World
01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
oh, I have wanted to learn to do this. Awesome. I eed to go put this in my alarm so I can remember. Thanks!

emst
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Will be there, you have awesome chats Beckie

Mom_of_5
01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Downloading my stuff now...hopefully I won't fall asleep before the chat :)

PSharp
01-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Thank you very much!

couponclipper
01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I have downloaded TY

Charlie'sMomma
01-23-2008, 04:50 PM
OK.. I downloaded the stuff. Thanks. See you in the chat.

schock77
01-23-2008, 04:50 PM
This will be my first chat and I can't wait to learn more about shadows.

lillypug34
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Bumping - the first post in this thread now contains the Drop Shadow tutorial from last night's chat!

MamaB
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Thank you for a wonderful tip & tutorial!!!! :biggrin:

Debra
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Beckie this is wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing with everyone!

Helen
01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Beckie - thank you for sharing this with us - I know I can get better at shadowing myself - will try this out later - thanks!

Darlene Currie
07-02-2013, 07:04 PM
For those of you who are fairly new to digital scrapbooking, adding shadows to your page gives it a really nice realistic effect.

The first post in this thread is a little outdated, so I thought perhaps some of you might want something that is a little more current.

If you check out this blog http://sahlinstudio.com/tutorial-how-to-create-realistic-shadows/ it gives you a nice tutorial on creating shadows in Photoshop.

Also - I found a great Pinterest page that gives you ideas for many other tutorials. Check this out http://pinterest.com/heartofwisdom/digital-scrapbook-tutorials/

vicki23
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Great tips Darlene, shadows make a layout!

britnkaysmemaw2
07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I love tutorials. And shadow tutorials are always a wonderful help!
thanks so much for sharing!

Glimma
07-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Ah right - I was wondering about putting shadows on elements

I'll certainly have a look at those