PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration vs. Intimidation?

DiamondDesign
01-11-2008, 08:50 AM
How do you avoid being intimidated by some of the amazing pages in our galleries?

I am seeing all of these great pages, and it really hit me with the ST IV contest, when we all used the same kit at once. The amazing and innovative things people did! I just want to scraplift them all. But, then I don't feel it is MY page. Others that I love seemed so specific to the picture that I couldn't scraplift it anyway.

I want my pages to be creative and beautiful. But I am not an artsy or creative person. I don't think my page is creative if I'm just copying someone else. :head_hurts_kr:

How do you do it?

KattyZak
01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Good question that I really don't have an answer to. I think its a lot about experimenting and taking away little things about the layouts that you like versus scraplifting the entire layout if you are not the scraplifting type.
Curious as to what others will say.

ScrappinBikerChick
01-11-2008, 09:29 AM
i think it is hard initially to find your style. try things...all sorts of things. scraplift pages you love (noting who you are scraplifting of course)...ask yourself why you are drawn to the page. it is the photo placement? use of white space? use of elements? strength in the journaling? etc. try things you wouldn't have tried before. use colors you wouldn't normally use. all those things will help make you stronger. plus...it is just a simple fact of life...there is will always be someone who you feel is a bit better than you. just human nature. the flip side of that is...there is always someone looking up to you. wanting to scraplift your pages. loving your colors, or journaling, or whatever.

not sure if that helps you...but i hope so :D

Debra
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I do it by making pages that I love... I think it's easy sometimes to forget what our scrapping really is about.. which for me is about leaving a keepsake for my family.

As long as I'm capturing those memories of who, what, where and when.... and really doing a lot of journaling, I'm satisfied with my pages...

I'm like you..lol.. not so artsy... but I try and that's all I can really ask of myself :)

I love all the beautiful pages too, don't get me wrong... but in the end, it's what my family has when I'm gone that really matters to me... :)

inge
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I personally don't see any harm in scraplifting a page...You always put something of yourself in it. You make pages with your heart not with your head !

I truly believe there is a lot you can learn from scraplifting something you really admire. Ones you made a similar idea it sticks better in your head and you will use it more often in the future and a scraplift evolves in something of your own. That is what I believe anyway !

scrappinnana
01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I believe if YOU like your page that is what matters.

Scraplifting is just a way to get your creative juices flowing especially if you are not a creative or artsy type person. Most who scraplift do not make their layout EXACTLY like the layout they saw, they add their own little additions.

No one should every feel intimidated by what they see in the gallerys but hopefully they can feel inspired to see things to help them become more creative.

DiamondDesign
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your responses so far. Good point on stretching myself with different challenges. By using my comments, I am trying to find out what I like about each. Good idea to use the ideas I like, not just scraplifting the pages I like.

I did want to say, I am not unhappy with my pages. I love them, but I have to work very hard on them. I do not make them in just a day, which is why the lunch crunch is so fascinating and difficult :wink:. That causes a lot of down time because I don't always have the time for all of the work one page takes me.

TSavoie11
01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Who says a layout needs to be done in 1 day? I say, take as much time as you need! You are the one who needs to love it, not anyone else! It feels good when other people say they like your layouts, but ultimately you are the one who needs to impress yourself! I have a feeling you aren't giving yourself enough credit-you already started scrapping and that alone means you have a creative outlet! Embrace it and make yourself happy!!!:D

babyofmine
01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm infamous (in my own house, anyway) for working on a page for days at a time, tweaking and re-tweaking, starting over, then going back to what I had...it drives DH crazy! LOL But I don't save it until I'm satisfied. QP's are intended for one use -- QUICK pages. It may not be exactly what you would do, but it gets a page done fast. I think scraplifting is kinda like that. It gives you a good start.
As for intimidation, I know what you mean! I know I'm not a spotlight scrapper, but I still enjoy it. I browse galleries looking for ideas, I have a ton of LOs in my faves so I can look at them again and again. If it intimidates you, ask the same question you would about one that you want to "lift": what about it do you like? What do you need to learn so you can try it?
It's all about the journey. :D

KattyZak
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I do it by making pages that I love... I think it's easy sometimes to forget what our scrapping really is about.. which for me is about leaving a keepsake for my family.

As long as I'm capturing those memories of who, what, where and when.... and really doing a lot of journaling, I'm satisfied with my pages...

I'm like you..lol.. not so artsy... but I try and that's all I can really ask of myself :)

I love all the beautiful pages too, don't get me wrong... but in the end, it's what my family has when I'm gone that really matters to me... :)

Well said, Debra. I also do my pages so my kids and myself can look at them now.
When I was paper scrapping it was the mojo I needed to keep myself scrappin'.

DiamondDesign
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM

This is very true. I know a few times I have commented to my husband that some people seem to scrap for the page. They make gorgeous pages that I love and dream I could do. But, I don't think I would ever do them because they wouldn't emphasize the pictures that I have. Maybe I need to say that a little bit more often to myself.

So far my daughter and her grandmothers LOVE her books. Even my first attempts that weren't very nice scrap-wise do share the story. This was before I thought to add journaling - or even dates. I do learn.

Debra
01-11-2008, 11:55 AM
yep.. that's the thing for me... I realized it when my Dad and my Mom both gave me tons of old heritage photographs... love them..but sometimes I have no clue who the people in the photos are.. with digiscrapping I'm hoping to fill in the blanks for my kids and grandkids and beyond :)

cmcariann
01-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I love to look over what others have done with the papers and such.. It inspires me to try new things... I think some times we get into a rut doing the same style over and over again...
I like the idea of trying something new...