PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share.....

amyleigh1204
01-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I know that there are a few of you who have read this on my blog, but I wanted to share with the community about some things that we are going through with our 7 year old son. He is having an EEG today to determine if he is having seizures. We believe that he is having petit mal (absence) seizures. This is the type of seizure where it appears that the person has basically gone to sleep on thier feet. His body goes limp, and his eyes glaze over, and there is no way to snap him out of it until it is over. They generally only last about 5-10 seconds, but he does realize that he has "missed something" when it is over. Anyway, he may have to be medicated, but it should not affect him adversely.

Just really wanted to share, and ask you to keep us in your prayers as we are on this journey.....

Thanks so much for being such a friendly, supportive, and comforting group!

Sexy__Eyes
01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Prayers and hugs comming your way Amy.

Helen
01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Oh wow - no, didn't know that - haven't been visiting anyone's blogs lately - not even ikea's - sorry to hear about your son - that must be really scary I have a friend whose young child had that - and the meds fixed them right up.

HUGS - and yes, my prayers go out to you and your son and family - hang in there - and please keep us posted.

gigichet
01-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh Amy I am so sorry that you and your son are going through this right now...{{{{{hugs}}}}} and prayers headed your way...please keep us posted on what is happenning.

anitastreet
01-10-2008, 08:53 AM
(((HUGS))) Wishing you all a fast and easy diagnosis..and something simple to treat...I can only imagine the stress you are under..it is so hard when one of our little ones isn't well. all the best and thanks for letting us know.

lillypug34
01-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Amy, my thoughts are with you and your family!! You're all in my prayers.

eb2177
01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Amy, My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. My Brother had a seizures too and I know how scary it can be when you can't do anything for them. He also had some meds that really helped, it took a while to find the right balance, but once we did, they worked like a charm.

charliesnana
01-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Amy, Hugs and my prayers are pouring out for you and your family.

amyleigh1204
01-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Ok--so the test is done and so far it does look like a mild form of epilepsy. Of course, the neurologist has not read the results yet, but, the indicators are all there. They were able to induce quite a few seizures, with more severity actually, due to the sleep deprivation, and a test to induce hyperventilation causing brief oxygen deprivation. Will keep you posted on any further developments. Thank you so much for all of your well wishes and prayers......

ABitDaffy
01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Amy, I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. I can't even imagine how stressful this must be for you. Keep us posted!

KattyZak
01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Amy, hugs and prayers that you get the right resources to help your family.
I don't know a lot about these kind of things.

HollyS
01-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh Amy, I'm sorry to hear that and am sending positive love in your direction....ibet it's a scary time for you and your family but hang in there....! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

emst
01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Amy so sorry to hear this news, your son and all of your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. This has to be a frightening time for all of you, please keep us posted on his tests and how he is doing.

ScrapShana
01-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh Amy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I"ll pray that things come out good. Thanks for letting us all know!

Debra
01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Amy, I'm so sorry your Son and your family is going through this! I'm sure it's awfully difficult and you and yours will be in my prayers too...

wildstorm
01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
You are all in my thoughts. My daughter had these when she was the same age. But test didn't show why. Sending prayers and good wishes to you and your family.

Melody
01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Wow Amy! I can't even imagine. I hope you guys find a good balance of med or something that will help your son. My thoughts are with your family.

Leslie Emery
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Amy, you, your son and your entire family are in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you...

Hugs

Leslie

ozchicki
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
((hugs)) Amy. We are about to go through similar tests with my son next week. As he has Cerebral Palsy, one of the conditions is the absent seizures. I won't to rule it out too- we are hoping he is just daydreaming.

Lots of positive thoughts your way :)

inge
01-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Sending you lots of love, hugs and prayers !
Hope everything turns out well !

Jody2
01-11-2008, 04:11 AM
I know these are difficult times for you right now - please know my prayers are with your son and you and your family. God will give you the strength to see this through.

amyleigh1204
01-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Thank you all so much for your wonderful kindness! I think that we are relieved, in a way, to know that the EEG showed us what we needed to know. So we aren't facing more tests and the unknown. I will keep you posted on what happens next.

emst
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm glad Amy that the tests showed what you and the doctor wanted to know, please do keep us posted, you are all still in my prayers.

amyleigh1204
01-12-2008, 05:37 AM
We did hear from the doctor and as we suspected, Christian will be placed on medication. We are starting with a very mild medication to see if that works for him. He will be on the medication for at least 2 years, then he will be weaned off to see if the seizures are still present. Since he developed the epilepsy prior to the age of 10, there is a very good chance that he will outgrow the seizures before age 18. The only real concern now, is the effects that the medication may have. He will probably be very fatiqued and irritable for a while, until his body adjusts.

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes and prayers. Please continue to keep us lifted up as we go continue to learn and grow through this process....

Helen
01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks Amy for the update! All of our thoughts and prayers and hugs go out to you! Hang in there!

emst
01-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks Amy for the update, hope that he doesn't have a problem with the meds, poor little guy. Thankfully you got an early diagnosis so you can get the treaments started right away. You all will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

KattyZak
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for update and sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Good luck with transistioning with the meds.

eb2177
01-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Thank you Amy for the update, I will also continue to pray for your sin and family.

Mom_of_5
01-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't know how I missed this one. My thoughts are with you, Amy. Having a child with a medical condition can be so trying on the whole family. My best friend is a pediatrician in the San Antonio area and her youngest dd has Dravet Syndrome, a rare form of epilepsy. Here is a link to her site where you can get to info on Dravet Syndrome and the Epilepsy foundation.

Dravet Syndrome & Epilepsy (http://www.adreamforsarah.com/dravet_syndrome.php).

I'll keep your family on my prayer list.

PamWhit
01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Amy, I'm so sorry you and your family have to go through this -- thoughts and prayers are with you.

Andrea
01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
My good friend's son gets those type of seizures. She has to rush him to a cool bath and give him gatorade when it happens. He is usually worse during warm weather. Very scary. I hope the best for you and your family through this time.

I know that there are a few of you who have read this on my blog, but I wanted to share with the community about some things that we are going through with our 7 year old son. He is having an EEG today to determine if he is having seizures. We believe that he is having petit mal (absence) seizures. This is the type of seizure where it appears that the person has basically gone to sleep on thier feet. His body goes limp, and his eyes glaze over, and there is no way to snap him out of it until it is over. They generally only last about 5-10 seconds, but he does realize that he has "missed something" when it is over. Anyway, he may have to be medicated, but it should not affect him adversely.

Just really wanted to share, and ask you to keep us in your prayers as we are on this journey.....

Thanks so much for being such a friendly, supportive, and comforting group!

amyleigh1204
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, things have been a little topsy turvy around here since we found out about Christian's seizures. He started his medication today and we are just waiting to see what sort of effects it has on him. Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we work to find what is best for him.

anitastreet
01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I imagine it will take a bit of time for his body to adjust to the meds. Hopefully it will be an easy adjustment for him without too many side effects. I know as a parent how hard it is when a child isn't well. Will continue to keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

eb2177
01-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Thank you Amy for the update, I will also continue to pray for your sin and family.

SON, I meant to type son and family. I'm glad that I scrolled up just a little to see my own post. So sorry amout the type-o. I guess I need to reread my posts a little better!

And you guys are still in my prayers.