PDA

View Full Version : It's me -- in the hospital!

Mom_of_5
12-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I got a new laptop for xmas and convinced Mike to bring it to me at the hospital AND the hospital has FREE wifi. How COOL is that!!??!!!!

:no: but I don't have any of my scrapping supplies or photos...and they put this stupid IV in my mouse arm

guess I can't have everything...

Please pray that I am discharged on Saturday cuz it is Mateo's birthday!

Anyway, a persons platelet count should be around 200 and mine is 2 so I have now received 2 platelet transfusions (which was quite a feat cuz there is a national shortage of platelets). You have to be on the 'critial' list to get any. Apparently I have had warning signs for the last 2 weeks but I attributed them to other things -- lack of sleep, holiday stress, my kids, my dh...typical mom response, right? The hematologist feels it was probably caused by a virus that one of the kids carried home. My body is producing antibodies that are eating the platelets that my bone marrow is producing. In addition to the platelet transfusion I have to have high dosages of oral steroids for 4 days. Once my platelet count is acceptable they can monitor me from home and hope that it does not reoccur. Fun, huh? The way it has been explained to us is that if I was to get a cut at this point I WOULD bleed to death -- not maybe -- but WOULD. What I don't get is how I could be so sick and not know. We did know this morning though because I woke up with 'spots' that are actually my body 'bleeding' inside. Physician sent us straight to the ER.

For now I'll just have to be satisfied with commenting on other layouts and such!

ScrapShana
12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh wow, Mel. I can't imagine. You sound so upbeat and perky! I will pray everything goes well and you get to go home HEALTHY very very soon. I know the kids (and your DH) miss you tremendously. Get well, and keep us posted!

Love ya!! ((HUGS))

KattyZak
12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
OMG. Melanie. Sounds really scary and lets thank the Good Lord for getting you to the ER. It sounds like goobly gook what you wrote but I see that you will be released soon and that is good enough for me. Take care. Hugs!

Love4Scrap
12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
WE here shall do more than pray for the speedy recovery and that things do not re accur!~ God bless You and We will look to see you back here soon!~ Thank you for Telling Us that you were there... ,even though that thats not the BEST NEWS TO SOME , IT IS TO ME , CAUSE that tells me that God is Taking Care Of You!!!!!!!,that makes me feel better and I'm just a Stranger~

Tell We Talk Again,
Love4Scrap

Helen
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
OH NO! WOW - sounds like you're getting great care at hospital and from your DH - he's a sweetie to bring your laptop to you! Just don't overdo it and get well! HUGS!!!!!!!!! and my prayers and wishes to you for a SPEEDY recovery!

inge
12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
A verry gentle HUG from here ! Will have a little prayer for you !
The new year can only start better for you...

Andrea
12-27-2007, 11:37 PM
You've got to take it easy! I'm telling myself the same thing as I'm contemplating how to sneak my laptop into the hospital when I have my baby! I sure hope you feel better soon!

I got a new laptop for xmas and convinced Mike to bring it to me at the hospital AND the hospital has FREE wifi. How COOL is that!!??!!!!

:no: but I don't have any of my scrapping supplies or photos...and they put this stupid IV in my mouse arm

guess I can't have everything...

Please pray that I am discharged on Saturday cuz it is Mateo's birthday!

Anyway, a persons platelet count should be around 200 and mine is 2 so I have now received 2 platelet transfusions (which was quite a feat cuz there is a national shortage of platelets). You have to be on the 'critial' list to get any. Apparently I have had warning signs for the last 2 weeks but I attributed them to other things -- lack of sleep, holiday stress, my kids, my dh...typical mom response, right? The hematologist feels it was probably caused by a virus that one of the kids carried home. My body is producing antibodies that are eating the platelets that my bone marrow is producing. In addition to the platelet transfusion I have to have high dosages of oral steroids for 4 days. Once my platelet count is acceptable they can monitor me from home and hope that it does not reoccur. Fun, huh? The way it has been explained to us is that if I was to get a cut at this point I WOULD bleed to death -- not maybe -- but WOULD. What I don't get is how I could be so sick and not know. We did know this morning though because I woke up with 'spots' that are actually my body 'bleeding' inside. Physician sent us straight to the ER.

For now I'll just have to be satisfied with commenting on other layouts and such!

twirlyjoy
12-28-2007, 01:33 AM
oh my goodness - that's really scary! Take it easy and get better quick - am praying for you.

amysum1
12-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Oh my gosh, Mel I have been worried sick about you!!!!! I am so glad to see you upbeat and am praying my heart out that you are home by Saturday and that you REST and take it easy.

Big, big, BIG hugs and kisses!
Amy

gigichet
12-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Oh I am so glad that you are okay and on the way to recovery...and I will pray that all continues to go well with you and that you are on your feet soon. Please take care of yourself and {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you.

HollyS
12-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Oh sweetie, please take it easy! I will be praying that all goes well and you can get home to your family quick!

emst
12-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Wow Mel, you take care of yourself and let the doctors do whatever needs to be done so you can go home. My prayers are with you for a speedy recover.
Hugs to you,
Elaine

ScrappinBikerChick
12-28-2007, 04:11 AM
stay safe! that is a crazy low platelet count. reminds me that we all show go and donate if we can. {{hugs}} get better soon!

Mom_of_5
12-28-2007, 04:26 AM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts, prayers, and well wishes.

They already checked my platelet count his morning. It is only up to a 3!!!!
So, one of two things has happened -- best choice, my body just hasn't had a chance to adjust to the transfusions; worst choice, my antibodies already destroyed the platelets from the transfusion. Short of it is, they will check again in the morning because the hematologist doesn't want me stuck again today, and I probably won't be discharged tomorrow. :cry:

Debra
12-28-2007, 05:07 AM
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this Mel! What a scary thought that you could bleed to death - it's a good thing you are in the hospital so they can take good care of you! Get those platelet counts back up and if you're not out by Sat... Have a big Hospital Party for Mateo :)

Big hugs and you're in my prayers :)

Thank Hubby for us for bringing you your new laptop!

tborntreger
12-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Oh my goodness Mel. I'm so glad you gave us the update. That is so scary but I'm so happy you went the dr. when you did. I am praying that you make a very speedy recovery... Well wishes and positive thoughts your way.

Hugs.

lillypug34
12-28-2007, 05:57 AM
So happy you're being taken care of! My thoughts and prayers are with you and I'm sure you'll be home in your own bed very soon - GET WELL SOON!

charliesnana
12-28-2007, 06:06 AM
I hate hearing that this is going on with you. Keep that great positive attitude. If our thoughts and prayers can help make that count go up, it should be soaring in no time.
Take care and get well as soon as you can.

wildstorm
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Sending you heaps of positive thoughts and best wishes. State of mine has a lot to do with how we cope with illness and yours sounds just wonderful. :) Thinking of you. Feel better quickly.

charliesnana
12-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that your count is UP UP UP this morning.
Hugs

ABitDaffy
12-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Mel, I hope your count is way up this morning! I'm keeping you in my prayers!

Debra
12-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Ditto here.... hope your count is rising and will continue to pray. Your in my thoughts and prayers Mel and I'm very sorry you couldn't be home today for the birthday.

Hope you are resting comfortably and making lots of platelets!

KattyZak
12-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Hoping today brings better news and 'they' are increasing.

Mom_of_5
12-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Yep, I'm still here. My hematologist won't let me go home. My count did increase from a 3 yesterday to a 15 this morning (still realizing that 200 is normal). He is hoping that I am on an upward trend, but needs another day to feel comfortable that I am -- so here I sit. So, if my count is 30 or close enough to it in the morning then he will let me go home, knowing that I will be in his office monday am to have my counts checked again. he commented that he has NEVER had a patient with a count of less than 10 that was not receiving chemo. What I've done is very rare. I am just making the best of it. It just scares me that I could be so dangerously ill and did not know. I honestly don't feel sick at all, and all the extra bleeding from literally every little hole in my body has finally stopped.

So I wait...

Thank you for all the nice comments, prayers, and well-wishes.

Debra
12-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the update Mel! So happy to hear your count is rising!! Keep resting and we'll keep praying!

ScrapShana
12-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Wow, that is so low! We all knew you were a rare one already though. ;) I'll continue praying the count rises steadily for you. Take it easy and get well very very soon!

gigichet
12-29-2007, 11:38 AM
wow Mel...glad to hear that your blood count is getting better and I will continue to pray that it rises back to normal for you soon. Please get some rest and take care of yourself. {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you!

Mom_of_5
12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I got home yesterday evening just in time for us to go ahead and have Mateo's cake so my parents could get on the road. All across NY was having terrible snow where they would be driving. They got home in NH to 1' snow down their major driveway to digout as it is still snowing.

I have an official diagnosis of ITP and have already been for my first of daily appointments at the Ireland Cancer Center. Now it is a 'wait & see' game. They have no clue if my condition is acute or chronic. We will have to wait and see what my platelet counts do.

My count was up enough today that I get to skip the needle tomorrow for the holiday. LOL! He said I am no longer in immediate danger of keeling over from bleeding to death for no reason so he'll LET me have a holiday too. What a goof!

This could have been a one time thing or something that we will adjust to permanently...only time will tell. Most likely it will take 6 months of daily monitoring before I am released, BUT at least I'm still here!

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Mel
Mom_of_5

Debra
12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Yaaay!!! So glad you are doing better...hope you're taking it very easy young lady!

Read your blog. Thanks for sharing more about the condition. I'm so glad you're doing so well!

Big hugs!

Charlie'sMomma
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm so glad you are doing better, and made it back home for Mateo. Now you can share birthday cake, and get lots of rest. Take it easy, and know that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

emst
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
So glad Mel to hear that you are doing better, you are in my thoughts and prayers.