PDA

View Full Version : Am Crying - for real!

twirlyjoy
12-27-2007, 06:32 AM
My external hard drive has just told me that my 'My Pictures' folder on it is corrupt I have most of my photos, up until a couple of months ago backed up on CD, but hadn't got round to doing all my kits.

Photo-wise, I have lost the ones of Alice in her school play and Lucie when she played Mary in the school nativity play.

The Christmas ones are, fortunately, still on my camera.

But, I have lost every single digital scrapbooking kit that I have ever bought/downloaded. - That's 3 whole years worth of kits

I have spoken to the computer tech people to see if they can do anything about it. The guy I spoke to didn't hold out much hope (especially when I told him the make of it!) and even if they do manage it, its gonna cost me at least 40 (about $80) which I can sooooo not afford right now.

So, I really am sitting here crying

Please everyone, go and back up everything - NOW!!!!

:sad44::sad44::sad44::sad44::sad44::sad44::sad44:: sad44:

Jody2
12-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Please don't give up. There are applications that can recover files from so-called bad hard drives or corrupted files. I hope you can get your hands on one of them and give it a try. I use a Mac, and fine Data Rescue II can rescue just about anything.

Good luck, I know you are feeling down and upset (I know I would be crying too) so really hope you find a solution.

ABitDaffy
12-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Joy, I'm so sorry! I just used PC Inpsector File Recovery on my PC to rescue a corrupt group of files on my picture card (which really when you think about it is nothing other than a very small external hard drive). It worked great, so that might be something you might want to try. Also, if you're using a PC, since it's just one directory and not the whole drive, maybe, just maybe this would work. Try accessing the files using the Command Prompt. It's possible that it's just a Windows pointer problem and the files are still there. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I would so be crying, too!

HollyS
12-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Oh Joy, I hope the ideas given thus far will work out for you! Good luck!

Andrea
12-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Oh Joy, what bad luck for the holiday! Don't give up though. Try a program called R-Studio (http://www.r-studio.com/). That's what my husband (a computer guy) uses to get my info back after a crash and that's what he uses at work too. It's worth a try. I think they have a demo version that will show you what files it can recover. Don't take it to one of those computer places that will charge you hundreds of dollars because they will just use software like this to find the files. Good luck! :wink:

eb2177
12-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Joy I'm so sorry! Try out some of the software, I personally haven't used any but my Dad has had good results with a product called Recover Data (He's pretty sure that was the name, he wasn't home when I talked to him) on His jump drive that was corrupted. He told me that the company also makes other software for different types of drives. I think that they also had a demo online to see what files it could recover.
This is a good reminder for me to finish backing up my photos and uploading the favorites to my smugmug account in case something happens to the house. I'm getting out the DVD's right now.

alybel
12-30-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm so sorry to read of this, it must be really frustrating... I remember once I accidentally formatted the memory card in my camera just as I was about to download everything to my computer! It had all the photos from the first week of my youngest child's life! I was so upset, but luckly we managed to get them all back. And, now I regularly back up..

Mom_of_5
12-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Oh Joy! I'm so sorry to hear this, but as all the others before me have said -- don't give up hope. I recently had to recover some corrupt pic files and was able to do so by using a program my dad had given me, but I don't remember the name. He's a VP in the IT/MIS dept for Philips Electronics and it's something that they use & trust. Whenever I get out of this stupid hospital I'll get you the name.

Good Luck!

ScrapShana
12-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice....and given us all a great reminder! I need to back up my pictures asap! Hope you get them back!!