PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Holiday Simple Pleasure?

Debra
12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
With all the stress of the holidays :head_hurts_kr:.. I thought it might be nice to take a minute to ponder the parts of the holidays that really bring about a little happiness...

For me it's the fun baking cookies and riding around seeing all the Christmas lights and the anticipation of having my kids all home under one roof, if for only a few hours on Christmas Eve and if I can convince them to all meet me for the Christmas Eve Service... well, that will more than make my Christmas happy! :D

So... what's your simple pleasure of the holidays? :biggrin:

KattyZak
12-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I have lots but one of them is receiving Christmas cards...and even better if it has a photo, a handwritten note and/or even a computer letter. Love that.

I am sure I will be adding more later.

HollyS
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I'd have to say it's making the ginger bread house with the boys and baking with the as well. This year I bought the cutest little rolling pins for them :) One red for Sean, one green for Theo and one blue for Jack....LOL!

And of course it's wonderful to just take a breath and sit back and watch the wonder in their eyes on christmas morning....!

anitastreet
12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Christmas Eve...it's always been a festive family time...if we are home I invite some dear friends over, let the kids open their gift to each other (always something to keep them entertained) and any gifts our friend brings (she has no grandchildren and is a surrogate grandmother to them...but this year it's going to be even better...we will be at my Mom's in Florida, with my 94 year old grandmother, my sister and her family and the 4 of us ... and our two poodles.... growing up we always opened gifts on Christmas Eve...so after dinner (always something easy..used to be pizza but lately we've opted for Sonny's BBQ ...takeout...no fuss, no muss and it's yummy..... then I play Santa and start handing out the gifts...my kids get all their gifts (except Santa stuff..that they get in the morning)....my sister's kids get all their gifts from Grandma and from us and to each other...she opted to save the gifts from Mom and Dad for Christmas morning but that's fine..it's crazy enough! we have tons of food...homemade cookies...candies....munchies...and plenty of leftovers from the bbq takeout! we eat and drink..and NO one has to drive..my sis just lives around the corner from my Mom...some of the neighbors come over too...it's such a wonderful neighborhood and I have many good friends there....I know more of the Florida neighbors then I do my own Virginia neighbors (but I'm rural...country living has some drawbacks)....if we're lucky we can see the fireworks from Disney...things have built up more so I'm not sure if that will happen..but we can hear the distant booms..the dogs always jump and bark! haha...yup Christmas Eve is one of the best parts of the holidays..by then the rushing is over and it's time to relax with friends and family....

I can't wait...going HOME for Christmas...taking the kids to the beach...Christmas break always meant a beach trip...not always in the water but at least walking along the water's edge...seeing the lights and sights at Disney....palm trees with twinkle lights and that wonderful tropical air, maybe we'll need a sweatshirt but that's it.......yup, I'll take that over a White Christmas any day of the year!

KattyZak
12-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Anita, your trip to Florida sounds delightful. Didn't realize you were so close to Disney. I would take a walk on the water front any day over a white Christmas.

I like the evenings when the lights are down and our Christmas lights and candles are on. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

ScrapShana
12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I have to agree with Kathy on that last one....
My favorite thing is sitting in the living room with Christmas music playing softly, a hot cup of french vanilla coffee and the soft glow of Christmas lights and candles flickering. Oh, and the smell of cinnamon apple candles drifting through the air. Love it, love it, love it!!!

anitastreet
12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Anita, your trip to Florida sounds delightful. Didn't realize you were so close to Disney. I would take a walk on the water front any day over a white Christmas.

I like the evenings when the lights are down and our Christmas lights and candles are on. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

oh, I too love to sit and watch the lights on the tree with no other lights..I remember when I was single and had my own place..I would put up an enormous tree...throw a duraflame log in the fireplace (hey it was Florida, it was for show only)..and pull open the sleeper sofa and sleep in the living room...a fire and Christmas lights...

and yes, the house Hubby and I bought with my Mom is 10 miles from Disney :) It's Mom's house as long as she wants to live there...one day we hope to retire to it...and if it were to be empty for any reason (I can't think of that though) it would make a good weekly rental) It's our little nest egg.. I won't tell you what we paid for it but it was nothing compared to real estate hear in VA....the mortgage payment is like an extra car payment..(actually I think the payment on my Town and Country may be more!LOL)....

back to Christmas pleasures....yup, lights, that's part of what I love about going to Disney at Christmas..the Osborne Family lights...millions upon millions of Christmas lights on their backlot...so cool! and the cool light bridge at Epcot...it keeps time to the Christmas music...the twinkle outlining all the buildings.....I just love Christmas...hard to pick one simple pleasure! :)

Andrea
12-20-2007, 10:31 PM
I think it's just seeing how excited the kids get over everything!!

inge
12-20-2007, 11:43 PM
I guess it is the cooking. Choosing the menu usually takes me weeks, I enjoy that even more then the cooking itself. Then all those great ingrediŽnts turning into special meals. The table beautifully decorated. O yeah, it is definetly the food-part I enjoy the most. The only problem : this year it isn't going to be a fancy dinner cause I have to work both the 24 and 26.

twirlyjoy
12-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Definitely watching the girls get excited and spending time with my family - we will be at my dad's with both of my brothers and I really love Christmas for that very reason!

I also love the baking and craft things I get to do with the girls now that they are home for holidays - after we visit Santa on the steam train today!!!

KattyZak
12-21-2007, 06:16 AM
oh, I too love to sit and watch the lights on the tree with no other lights..I remember when I was single and had my own place..I would put up an enormous tree...throw a duraflame log in the fireplace (hey it was Florida, it was for show only)..and pull open the sleeper sofa and sleep in the living room...a fire and Christmas lights...

and yes, the house Hubby and I bought with my Mom is 10 miles from Disney :) It's Mom's house as long as she wants to live there...one day we hope to retire to it...and if it were to be empty for any reason (I can't think of that though) it would make a good weekly rental) It's our little nest egg.. I won't tell you what we paid for it but it was nothing compared to real estate hear in VA....the mortgage payment is like an extra car payment..(actually I think the payment on my Town and Country may be more!LOL)....

back to Christmas pleasures....yup, lights, that's part of what I love about going to Disney at Christmas..the Osborne Family lights...millions upon millions of Christmas lights on their backlot...so cool! and the cool light bridge at Epcot...it keeps time to the Christmas music...the twinkle outlining all the buildings.....I just love Christmas...hard to pick one simple pleasure! :)

Is this as in Ozzy Osborne