PDA

View Full Version : HP printer poops out, any suggestions on a new one?

cheeseliz
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I hope I can gather a few suggestions here from the digi scrapping community. I started digiscrapping about nine months ago, and I'm hooked. I especially enjoy printing out my 8.5 x 11 LOs at home - (the instant gratification thing). My problem, however, is my printer. When I started digi scrapping, I researched printers and bought the HP Photosmart D7160 for about $120.00. Reviews were good, hubby likes HP, and in fact it was the only one of three I was considering that the two different stores I visited could get working! So, I bought my HP printer and LOVED printing out borderless 8.5 x 11 LOs at home.

Problems arose, however, when I started printing more. I was making a Disney album for several family members and was beginning to print about 6 LOs a day (1 two pager, three times). Then my printer started printing with a red cast to everything. I called HP to troubleshoot, and after about two hours of test copies and wasted supplies, they concluded it was a hardware problem, and sent me a new printer. Great! .... But that one developed the same problem. So, I called, they troubleshooted, and ultimately sent me a second new printer. So, this is actually my third HP Photosmart D7160 I've used, which ... surprise, surprise ... is now printing with a red cast again!

Needless to say, I'm pulling my hair out, and for Christmas I'm asking Santa to save my sanity and give me a new - different brand- printer. Santa (aka hubby) is willing to oblige, as he no longer wants to be my frustration sounding board. I've concluded that the HP can't handle printing more than 5 8.5 x 11 bordeless papers in a 24 hour perod, it overheats ... shorts out, which results with everyting printing with a red cast. That's my theory - not HPs (they can't figure out why this keeps happening??).

So, after this long rant of mine - does anyone have any suggestions? I don't need an all in one, I don't need a large format printer, but apparently I do need a printer that will print borderless 8.5 x 11 without giving everyone a sunburn!

twirlyjoy
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I used ti have an HP printer and had no end of problems with it.

So, I now have an epson stylus photo r320 which I LOVE!!! It prints perfectly - I printed over 20 8x8 LOs on it yesterday and they are all perfect quality.

Am not sure if they still make that one or not, but there is a r360 which my Dad has which is just as fantastic!!!!

Andrea
12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I hate HP inkjets for the same reasons! However, I have an HP color laserjet and it's fantastic! It doesn't print borderless, but the quality is more than enough compensation and the toner lasts forever!!

Debra
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
probably not much help here.. i have a wide format epson stylus 1280.. love it and well worth the investment! lol... although now I use our GDS service as it's even more easier!!

Karen M in FL
12-20-2007, 05:05 AM
I love my Kodak 5300 this one has the place to put memory cards in. There is also one without that and I think a fancier one that is more. I hit for the middle. Has scanner also. Prints either 4x6 or up to 8x11.5. The 4x6 paper pack comes with ink and paper and the prints are about 10 cents each. The ink is reasonable its own as well. Since I still do paper scraping as well as digital I buy the 4x6 packs and still have ink left over for printing out other sizes.

One problem when I was busy learning and playing digital I didn't use for about 2 months. When I went to use it again the print heads were messed up. Call Kodak and they sent me a brand new print head with replacement ink for free. I sent it back prepaid and they sent me another set of color,black inks. Plus a sample pack of 4x6 paper. Since the problem was sort of self inflicted I was really pleased with the service. Now I make sure I use at least once a week even if its just the test page and have had no problems.