PDA

View Full Version : Organization Tips Please

BobbieB
12-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Is there a program that helps you areorganize that's free?
cause with Christmas coming up there's no was I can get ACD or whatnot
I've literally got a mess over here

KattyZak
12-09-2007, 08:20 PM
There is picasa which is free and some have liked it a lot. You might search this site to find old threads on it.

QueenPamedalah
12-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Organization...or·gan·i·za·tion (ôrg-n-zshn) KEY
NOUN:
1) The act or process of organizing.
2) The state or manner of being organized: a high degree of organization.
Something that has been organized or made into an ordered whole.

Part of me wants to say - you must not have kids if you think you can be organized! But, hey, it's not a household, it's your computer, right?

I'm not familiar with the other programs out there (I'm new to this whole thing myself). But I tackled my digi goodies like I do my "paper" supplies. In "MY DOCUMENTS" I have a Folder called Digital. Within it I have more folders - Papers and then folders by colors, stripes, dots, florals. I'm very pattern oriented and I tend to like things in kits, so I have a Kits folder, too. I have folders for - alphas, embellies, brads, stars, swirls, flowers, overlays. When I get a freebie paper or embellie, it goes into the "generic" folders. When I buy a Kit from GDS, it usually stays together as a kit by the name under my Kits folder.

I'm curious as to what other folks do, too. This has worked for me, but you have to be diligent. Everytime you buy and unzip a kit, you have to "file" it. I subscribe to several freebie sites, so right now I have a big "to be filed" folder!!!

HTH!
Anyone else want to chime in on your personal org style?

petitflocondeneige
12-10-2007, 09:34 AM
When I started scrapping, I tried to make a folder for each kind of elements. Then I realized I had to much stuff. Plus I couldn't find all the parts of one kit...
So I tried to work with Picasa.
I had a folder by website. Inside : eventually, a folder by designer. Inside, a folder by kit. Inside, the preview, and other folders for papers, brads, frames, flowers... This was great, because picasa allows you to see your folders by alphabetic order. So I could see all my papers in one glance, and now who they where from (the names of the folder were like "Papers - Making Music - Andrea Gold - GDS").
BUT... That was a lot of work, and picasa doesn't let you drag and drop to gimp, and when I was in my page kit folder, I couldn't see everything...

So now, I don't use any software. I just have folders by website/designer/kit. Anyway, most of the time, I don't mix different page kits...

Maisie
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I have folders by Kits, Mega Kits, Elements, papers, etc...
Then inside of those they are broken down by artist, or stores, (mega Kits and collab kits). I've tried to organize by ACDSee and Digital Playroom, but I have way too much to even start! LOL
If I am looking for something, I do a search in IE by color, or artist, etc...
You'd be amazed how many orange things are in your folder, if your doing a search for orange.
Example:
Full Kits> Theresa Borntreger>folder for Automaplay, a folder for Autumn Air, etc...
Layered Sketch Templates> folder for Andrea Gold> all Andrea's templates.
Mega Kits> GDS> folder for November Kit, folder for December Kit.
Mini Kits> Debra Anderson> folder for A Christmas Gift, a folder for Have a Flower, etc...

HTH

BobbieB
12-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Nope no kids.. Just a Dog. 2 Stepsons that are only here every other weekend.

Right now mine are tentaively Set up

D:?Scrapbooking/Store/

the
Templates
Kits
Collab Kits
Brushes
Actions etc etc

then by Desiginer.
I don't unzip nothing till I need it. So I have all the previews for each in a folder titled to match the kid.

TENTAIVELY
lmao

anitastreet
12-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Nope no kids.. Just a Dog. 2 Stepsons that are only here every other weekend.

Right now mine are tentaively Set up

D:?Scrapbooking/Store/

the
Templates
Kits
Collab Kits
Brushes
Actions etc etc

then by Desiginer.
I don't unzip nothing till I need it. So I have all the previews for each in a folder titled to match the kid.

TENTAIVELY
lmao

you know I used to wait to unzip files, now I do it immediately in case the file was corrupted during the download process..or in case there is another problem with it...I found out the hard way..missing pieces to a kit that wasn't available, go to use a kit and it's corrupt...etc..

as for organizing..I organize by store..so I have a gds folder...after I download a kit I put everything in one folder with the designersname and then the kit name...quicker to browse.. that way..

for example under gds folder I have folders like:

gds_sleighbellsring
jalger_indiansummer
jalger_indiansummerbonus
tborntreger_dazzlingbonus

my gds folder is my biggest folder in my scrapbook download folder... I move zips to my external hard drive and back them up to DVD. that way I don't worry about losing anything or if I end up saving over something in error I can still retrieve an original.

BobbieB
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh I unzip them first for that reason.
I work Tech Support for a Job online and get lots of emails about files comng up corrupt. Usually its not the the zip itself but something in the download.
so general deleting cookies, cache and tempfiles and rebooting and trying again works.

Anyways. I'm slowly getting there I think. I can't have tha\em all upzipped all the time becase all my Scrabpbooking stuff is on a wee little 40 gig HD. soo
I'd fill it up QUICK.

working on my fiance to get me a EHD but he want's a new guitar first

babyofmine
12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
My old computer had a 20gig hard-drive! :shock: That filled up in the first month, I think. :laugh: Then I took to burning CDs. I must have burned 400 CDs (I'm still finding them in other places, after the move), and DH realized how much this was costing, so he bought me an EHD last Thanksgiving. Now I use that for all scrapbooking. I do it like this:
Freebies
Stores
Subscriptions

and then in each of those, I do it by site. I like the way Windows allows a large preview, so usually it's easy to find what I want by kit. (of course, I have ACDSee now) I would say, try to find a program that allows you to put tags on PNG's (windows doesn't allow that), and you're set. hth!

ps. I also have a folder for LOs that I want to scraplift, or that I just love. then there's the fonts...and CT's I've been on, and special contests (like the Amazing Race), tutorials, and of course completed pages.

inge
12-12-2007, 01:35 AM
I have on the external harddrive a big folder scrapbook. Inside I have subfolders (in English, which according to my DH is a sign of my addiction to this site, LOL) :
Actions
Alpha
Fonts
Embellishments with subfolders :

Borders and Overlays
Buttons
Christmas and Snow
Designs Shapes Cute Stuff
Doodles
Envelopes Folders
Fasteners Eyelets Brads and More
Flowers
Frames
Halloween
Hearts
Notebook Paper Journaling Things
Picture Corners
Ribbons Bows Tassels and Beads
Stars
Stitches
Tabs Bookplate Paper Holders
Tags
Word ArtPapers with the subfolders :
Yellow and Gold
White
Peach Orange
Black Grey
Green
Blue
Brown Tan
Red
Pink
Purple
Multi

Previews
Templates
Quickpages
Zip

Each item I rename after unzipping site_designer_kit_itemname (as you can see in my credits). So I dont keep them as kits. It helps getting you out of the box. But that is my humble opinion. It was a lot of work renaming my pile of stuff but in the end I think it was worth it. It is a lot easier now filling in the credits.

Melody
12-12-2007, 02:16 AM
I have on the external harddrive a big folder scrapbook. Inside I have subfolders (in English, which according to my DH is a sign of my addiction to this site, LOL)

OMG! That's hilarious Inge.

I downloaded the free 30 day trial from ACDSee and used that for a while. Then it expired and I still hadn't bought the program. It's on my list of wants, but until then I do things the way most everyone else does - just with the folders. I have seperate folders for a couple of sites (like GDS) and my CT's that are specific. Everything else is in my general file though. I make sure when I download something I have the folder listed by designer's name first and then the kit name so it's a little eaiser to find something specific. Also, when I first get a kit or freebie I stick it in a general folder. Then after I've been able to try it I file it with all my other kits. I've also meant to burn it to CD (for backup purposes) before I move it, but I've yet to get that accomplished.

I've love to get everything organzied not only by kit, but style of paper, element, store, etc. but I don't know that I can do that with my folders without duplicating everything.

Once I finally purchase ACDSee I swear it'll take me a week just to file everything!:twitcy:

inge
02-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Bumping this tread !

amyleigh1204
02-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I used Picasa for a while. It is free and you can see everything in your folders. It can get a bit unruly at times if you don't keep everything nice and tidy, but it is a really good program. Now I use Adobe Bridge that comes with CS3 and it is REALLY great.

Rae's World
02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I am an EHD. I have a Digi Scrapbooking Folder. Then it is in folders like others. Store/Designer/Kit

Some designers have more than one folder. They will have a kit folder and a template folder. But I keep everything in kits but cause that is how I like to work. I very rarely mix things up. SOmetimes I might pull in one of two things but most of the time I work with what the kit has.

kaylaugh
02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, I tried everything I could find. I was avoiding ACDSee like crazy...had a program for photos but it didn't do png's or psd's. Same with the Memory Manager software I bought from a CM consultant. I ended up trying the trial for acdsee but told myself I wouldn't buy it...I'd only keep it if I won it at a chat...and I did! Then I got seriously addicted...lol! Anyway, long story short, I'm on a team now and we're lining up more chats for this spring...I'll be sure and pop in here to announce them as they get scheduled.

Kristi