PDA

View Full Version : Great Kit Folder Organizing Tip!!

Debra
09-10-2006, 05:12 AM
I found this thread on another board and thought I'd share it with you...

Did you know that you can customize the preview photo for the folder in which you keep your kits?

For example :

I have my "Jen Wilson" folder, and inside that I have all my kits in seperate folders, and when I view by Thumbnail, it shows the little manilla folder icon, and the folder has a bunch of little preview pics showing what's inside...

To change it, open the folder and right click to pull up the menu...click on "Customize this folder"- the second option should be "change preview picture"...click that, it will open up the images in that folder for you to select which picture you would like to show for that folder.

So for all my kits, I am changing the picture to show the preview image, instead of the little individual files...

Jae
09-10-2006, 07:19 AM
This is a great tip, I have done this for a while and love it!!!

IlaMarie
09-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I use it too, but I have a quirk in my XP (SP 2) that causes the previews to come undone quite frequently, which is very annoying when I'm wanting to have a look at stuff. Also, some folders will automatically take on the preview for something added months before from some other designer. Sheesh, it's weird. I've exhausted all of the help files to figure out how to fix the glitch, but so far have found nothing that will help. I suppose resetting to default is my only recourse now, but I just didn't want to have to do 200GB of folders all over again. lol - call me lazeeee!

strawbry_wine
09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
didn't think to do the customizing but I've always renamed my previews to something that will show up first out of all the files in the folder and placed it in the main folder. It helps to have the folder closed after enabling thumbnails view...

XP is like everything else MS...has its own personality.

ronda
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
What a great idea, I have tons of folders and can't find anything, shoulda thought of that myself, LOL

Thanks for sharing
Ronda

twirlyjoy
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
If the kit includes a preview, I just rename the preview 'folder' and it will show up as the icon on the front of the folder icon

ckbymommy
06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I was going to mention that too, Joy! I've noticed that some designers do this in the creation of the kit (me included) This only works with jpgs, though.

Also, if a kit doesn't come with a preview, I go back to the store and right click, save picture as on the store preview. Then I save as a jpg with the name folder directly into the kits main folder

TraciJ
06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Well DUH on me!!! I always wondered why all those silly previews were named "folder"

NOW it makes sense!! Would any of you believe that I am NOT a blonde???? :laugh:

saraschlick
06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Where has this hint been all my life?! *runs to change all of her folders*

bdjeepers
06-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I also do something else to some folders. For the main folder for my kits and elements, for instance, I changed its color! I also change the icons to mark my favorites since I have 14 gigs worth of stuff in that big folder! There's a neat little program called Rainbow Folders that let's you custom color any folder. The previews won't show up on those, but I do use the previews on the sub-folders. You can get the freebie program here: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Explorer_Add-ons/Rainbow_Folders.html

I've used it for years, and it helps me find things in a hurry. I also use it in My Documents and use M & M icons for my kids things that I save!

shellshok
06-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Oh great tip thanks!

nnylfs
07-11-2007, 06:19 AM
~ thanks for the tip, Debra ~ i have to tell you, i was changing all the previews this past weekend, and my dh comes by the puter and asks, "What's the matter? Forget what was in those folders?" ~ :laugh: ~ he's funny, but he loves the digital pages i do & sets them to videos for me ~

~ sharon

lacyrenfro
07-11-2007, 07:22 AM
I love the tip! Ive never messed with my folders before but this was so easy and helpful! You should summit it to one of those magizines that pay you for tips!

yin
07-11-2007, 08:10 AM
wow, what a great tip!! I'm just organising all my files, opening the zips with Helen's "unzip it all", and this is just going to make it all so clear!! Thanks Debra!!!