PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Dad

amysum1
11-24-2007, 02:13 AM
We've has some bad news. It turns out my Dad's main heart valve is 80% closed and they need to replace it. The cardiologist told us that he is very sick and that his heart failure has caused many other problems, with his kidneys, lungs, etc. we are waiting to see if if the surgery team deems him well enough to survive the open heart surgery. For now they have a balloon in his valve to help so his heart doesnt have to work as hard. Will know more by Monday, I hope. Please keep those prayers coming...
xoxoxo
Amy

ABitDaffy
11-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Amy, I'm so sorry! I'll keep on praying! I hope that the doctors will find him strong enough for surgery and that the surgery will be a complete and total success and that once that part is over, the doctors will be able to do something to repair the damage that has been done to his other organs. I'll pray, too, for peace and strength for you and your family as you help your dad through this difficult time.

twirlyjoy
11-24-2007, 02:55 AM
oh no Amy, I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to watch a parent struggle through ill-health and it is very hard. I will pray for your dad's health and for the rest of you and your family.

KattyZak
11-24-2007, 03:33 AM
So sorry to hear this Amy. I pray that things hry better and you stay strong.

gigichet
11-24-2007, 03:41 AM
I am sorry to hear this news Amy...but just think with todays advancements in medicine I am sure that he will be fine. I will be keeping him and the family in my prayers that he will be strong enough for the surgery and that he will come thru it with flying colors. And that you all are given strength during this trying time. {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you.

charliesnana
11-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Amy, I am so sorry to hear that. I will be keeping your Dad and you and your family in my prayers as the doctors try to help him. I hope our thoughts help give you strength.

inge
11-24-2007, 04:58 AM
I know this news isn't what you wanted to hear but at least now they know where the problems are coming from. I know it is hard to face such operation, my husband is facing one in the future, but you have to keep believing he's in the best hands and they will take good care of him ! My prayers are with you and your family...

amysum1
11-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Thank you so much everyone... and my Mom is so grateful that we have so many praying for him! Your words help a lot, I am so grateful I have all of you to "talk" to and I have this home away from home to escape to when I need that too.

Sexy__Eyes
11-24-2007, 05:11 AM
I'll keep praying Amy.

emst
11-24-2007, 05:15 AM
When I read this I said Oh no. Amy I'm praying extra hard for your dad, I hope that they deem it that he can have the operation. My prayers are with all of you besides the extra ones for your dad. Thanks for giving us the update.

Helen
11-24-2007, 07:04 AM
oh amy - my HUGS and prayers are with you and your father and your entire family. my brother had a triple bypass at the age of 52 and it is so hard just waiting for the test results and what's to come. hang in there - and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

HollyS
11-24-2007, 08:23 AM
I know it's a scary time for you, your dad and your family Amy but please know that we are all sending positive vibes to you all in hopes that he will pull through this!

Coolscrapbook
11-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Keep you head up girly, I continue to keep you and your dad in my prayers. I also heard that my mom's prayers go straight up to heaven, so I have her praying for you all too.

Addie

amysum1
11-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow, you guys are the best!!!! I am so lucky to know you all and here is some good news...he is having the valve replacement surgery on Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes, but I am feeling much better about things now this afternoon and all of your well wishes and prayers are working! Thank you!!!!

mosser77
11-24-2007, 10:58 AM
(((HUGS))) Amy!!!! My 84 year old grandma had a triple bypass a couple of weeks ago, and she pulled thru like a champ! We'll keep the doctors and your dad in our prayers!

emst
11-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Oh Amy what great news, glad to hear that he can have the surgery, thank you for your updates, extra prayers for everyone.

twirlyjoy
11-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear the prayers are working - will continue to pray for you all.

Mom_of_5
11-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Keep your chin up & a positive outlook, Amy! You know I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. My FIL had his open heart surgery about 6 weeks ago and his health is SO improved since it was done! Hopefully it will work wonders for your father too.

bananna
11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Oh no Amy! My prayers are with you and your dad!

emst
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Amy I've been thinking of you and your family all day. Hope your dad is doing better.

amysum1
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Amy I've been thinking of you and your family all day. Hope your dad is doing better.

Thank you Elaine. We had a set back today. They were going to replace his valve tomorrow, but have determined that his health is such that he would most likely not survive such a surgery. So, the only other option is on Wed. they are going to TRY to put a balloon in his closed arotic valve which could last 1 to 6 months and give him time to get stronger for the surgery. If that doesn't work, , which it may not because the valve is so closedthen there are no more options. His heart is only working at 10 to 15 % and his lungs and other organs are in bad shape too. All we can do now is pray and that's what we are doing.

Thank you again to everyone for your prayers.

Maisie
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Amy,
I am so sorry to hear this!
I will say prayers for him and you and your family.

gigichet
11-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Thank you Elaine. We had a set back today. They were going to replace his valve tomorrow, but have determined that his health is such that he would most likely not survive such a surgery. So, the only other option is on Wed. they are going to TRY to put a balloon in his closed arotic valve which could last 1 to 6 months and give him time to get stronger for the surgery. If that doesn't work, , which it may not because the valve is so closedthen there are no more options. His heart is only working at 10 to 15 % and his lungs and other organs are in bad shape too. All we can do now is pray and that's what we are doing.

Thank you again to everyone for your prayers.

Amy I am so sorry to hear this news and will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you honey.

inge
11-29-2007, 02:17 AM
My prayers are with you and your family to ! Keep up the positive thinking even if that is hard to do with such news...

amysum1
11-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Thank you Gwen and everyone. He had the balloon proceedure yesterday which was our longest day yet and he pulled through. They are monitering him closely for the next 48 hours. His valve is now more leaky than it was, but that is the trade off. We hope that this opening of the valve lasts long enough that he can have the replacement surgery if he gets well enough to do so. It's just a temporary fix. The good news is they took the balloon out that they had around his heart and now he will be able to sit up. he had been flat on his back for 7 days and that is tourture for him. Hopefully they will get him sitting up today and maybe even standing up tomorrow. He is very sick but his mind is 100% sharp, he could beat anyone of us in scrabble or trivia pursuit, trust me! he is a fighter and not ready to give in so I think that will be the difference in all of this. Anyhow, I will post again when I know more.
Thank you to all of you for your continued prayers, I truly believe they help a lot!

emst
11-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Amy I'm so glad to hear that the procedure went well. My prayers continue to be with your dad and each day brings him stronger. My prayers also continue for all of your family. Thank you for the update.

KattyZak
11-29-2007, 04:59 AM
Glad to hear that this step went well, Amy. I hope he continues to get healthy so he can have the add'l surgery.
And what an ordeal for you. Hope you are hanging in there. Hugs~!

griest
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I pray God gives you peace through this rough time and the strength to endure. Take care. Kim