PDA

View Full Version : GIVE THANKS for the little things

ScrappinBikerChick
11-21-2007, 03:52 AM
it is so easy in this life to get caught up in the moment…to get wrapped up in what is happening RIGHT NOW…to forget about the big picture…to ignore the little things that happen in our every day life that prove that we are loved, special, amazing creatures in a world that, more times than not, moves too quickly.

hug someone today. someone who might not expect it. thank them for being in your life. remember to be thankful for the little things. a hot beverage on a cold day. an ice cream cone on a hot day. a good friend to talk to. a stranger that smiles at you while in the grocery store. a kind word. a beautiful sunset. baby’s giggles. laughing until your sides hurt. all of it. small things that make every day precious.

there has been a lot happening in my life lately…some of you know, and many don’t. i am not going to get into that right now…but with all that has been happening, it has been easy for me to forget. easy to think that life is just too hard right now to be happy. easy to be sad and forget that i have an amazing family and wonderful friends who love me and are there for me no matter what happens. to each of you who has said a kind word, given me a hug, laughed with me, or just lent an ear…..THANK YOU. THANK YOU for being special! THANK YOU for making me feel special. THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!!

i know there are many parts of the world (most of it in fact) that don’t celebrate Thanksgiving as we in the US do. but even if you don’t celebrate it….please remember to GIVE THANKS for the little things :)

so....what are you thankful for?

gigichet
11-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Oh gosh where do I start and if I listed everything that I am thankful for we could be here all day. I thank God for my family, my friends, my health, my husband having a job, our new doggie Annie (even though she drives me crazy at times she is a welcome addition to our home and family), the hugs and kisses that I plan on getting from my grandson today and the love that I have in my life. And those are just a few of the things that I am thankful for at this moment...

CJsMom
11-21-2007, 04:29 AM
I am thankful for a husband that loves me unconditionally, a beautiful son who thinks the world of me, a Husky that jumps up and down every time he sees me, parents that love me, siblings that love me, and for my friends who are always there no matter what, a nice, warm home and good food to eat....and that is just the beginning of what I am thankful for.

Debra
11-21-2007, 04:32 AM
It sure is easy to lose track of all those wonderful "little things" as I get caught up in all the stress and craziness in life. You're right - there's so much to be thankful for!

Thanks Jess for the reminder...

anitastreet
11-21-2007, 06:06 AM
first ((HUGS)) to you Jess....hope whatever is going on will be resolved soon and life will be back to normal.

I know about letting stress taking over and forgetting about the little things. I'm thankful for so much that I seem to take for granted at times.

I'm thankful for my family even if we are all spread out...we are always talking on the phone and we're always there for each other. And we'll all be at my Mom's for Christmas.....including my 94 year old grandmother!

I'm thankful for my little home and all the comforts in it .. so many don't have anything. I should remember this the next time I complain it's just too small for all our stuff! how lucky to have all that stuff in the first place!

I'm thankful for my online friends..living in the middle of nowhere it's been a saving grace at times..and after years many are now more then just online friends. The internet has helped me connect with so many....even family that I probably wouldn't be in touch with as often.

I'm thankful for my husband who loves me just the way I am...even though I'm not the shapely blonde he married years ago...heck, I'm barely blonde anymore..and my shape is now..well, lumpy :)

I'm thankful for my pups..who aren't really pups anymore..they'll be 10 next year! They are my little bundles of fur and always there for snuggle when I need one!

and I'm most thankful for my daughters...the lights of my life. I can't begin to imagine my life without them. A hug in the morning and kiss at night makes my life complete! Watching them grow and learn...loving the little people they are becoming!

yes, we need to remember the good things in life and not dwell on the negative. Thanks for the reminder.

KattyZak
11-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Like Anita said, Jess, I hope those things get resolved quickly.
It is hard to lose sight of all that is good in these trying times of an economy slow down. Nontheless I am thankful for my family, my kids and hubby, our home, our health, friends and our Savior.

emst
11-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Wow Jessica this is a good one. I hope things get resolved for you, things always end up working out.

I thank God every day for my family.

I have a fantastic husband which I've been married to for 37 years and counting.

Two wonderful daughters who even though live so far away call me almost every day
to just say hi and I love you and to let me know how their days have gone.

My son-in-law who has brought even more happiness to our family who is so warm and loving.
Heck he even calls me at least three times a week to just talk.

And for our special little girl Madeline who is the light of my life and makes me love being a grandmother
(Mimi she named me when she started talking, now it's Meems lately).

For the unconditional love we all share together

For my new home and my new friends that we've made since moving here.

For our friends back in NY that are a constant in our lives still.

For the friends that I've made here at GDS another wonderful addition to my life.

For all of these and more I give Thanks.

Maisie
11-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks Jess for reminding me of all the things I have to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my husband, who has gone through a lot with me the last couple of years. My health was very bad and he took such good care of me.

I am so thankful for my children, and their little families. I love them all so much. My youngest is home for the holiday, and I missed him so bad.

I also thankful I finally found a job. the hours suck, but it's a good paying job.

I love my fat cat, with the most horrible meows ever! It's fingernails on a blackboard. lol

I am thankful for everything in my life.

And I love finding GDS, and all the wonderful friends I have made here!

griest
11-21-2007, 11:25 AM
We just buried my dear brother in law yesterday. He was 49 and lost a brave and valiant struggle with cancer. He was home when he died, surrounded by all of us who love him. I am thankful for a wonderful supuportive family who was there every step of the way through this difficult time. The holidays will be somber for us, but this has put the focus back onto what is important. It doesn't matter about the material things, the shopping, the perfect turkey, matching plates, and unstained linen tablecloths. Who cares if the pumpkin pie sinks, or the potatoes are lumpy. Please hug each other tighter, say a few more "I love you's", a few more "thank you so much". Take time to pass on a little kindness, no matter how trivial it might seem, to the recipient it just might be the lifeline they need to make it through another day. This is the 2nd husband my sister has buried. The first one died suddenly in his sleep 7 years ago from undetected heart problems. 2 years ago she remarried to a wonderful guy and they loved each other more than words can say. 1 year ago came the cancer diagnosis and today he is not with us. So much sadnees for 1 mom and 1 child. Pleease keep them in your prayers over this holiday season. it will mean so much. Thank you. Kim

emst
11-21-2007, 01:55 PM
We just buried my dear brother in law yesterday. He was 49 and lost a brave and valiant struggle with cancer. He was home when he died, surrounded by all of us who love him. I am thankful for a wonderful supuportive family who was there every step of the way through this difficult time. The holidays will be somber for us, but this has put the focus back onto what is important. It doesn't matter about the material things, the shopping, the perfect turkey, matching plates, and unstained linen tablecloths. Who cares if the pumpkin pie sinks, or the potatoes are lumpy. Please hug each other tighter, say a few more "I love you's", a few more "thank you so much". Take time to pass on a little kindness, no matter how trivial it might seem, to the recipient it just might be the lifeline they need to make it through another day. This is the 2nd husband my sister has buried. The first one died suddenly in his sleep 7 years ago from undetected heart problems. 2 years ago she remarried to a wonderful guy and they loved each other more than words can say. 1 year ago came the cancer diagnosis and today he is not with us. So much sadnees for 1 mom and 1 child. Pleease keep them in your prayers over this holiday season. it will mean so much. Thank you. Kim

Kim
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to your family for the passing of a loved one. You will all be in my prayers this holiday season.
Elaine

ScrapShana
11-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you so much, Jessica, for the reminder to not only be thankful for the wonderful gifts God gives us like our families, homes, jobs and health, but also for the small things we overlook. Small things like a warm cuddle with my kitty, an unexpected smile from my children, catching my favorite song on the radio--just when I need to hear it most, hitting all the green lights on a day I'm running late, having a friend bring me a hot french vanilla cappacino early on a Monday morning, listening to one of my students read and seeing the pride in their face....

It's often the small things that make the big things so worthy of having. What good would it be to have a job if you were unhappy in it? What is having a family without having them close? What if you were healthy, but alone and sad?

The small things do indeed need remembering.

My prayers go out to those who are having trouble during these holidays. The Lord will carry us through the tough times. Keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel. Hard times are only around for a while. Good times are always just right around the corner.

Thank you everybody for making GDS such a great place to be. God has brought us all here for a purpose, and I am so thankful that he led me here.

God bless you all during this holiday season.

Love and hugs....

Helen
11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Hugs to you, Jessica and Kim - and Kim - my heartfelt condolences for your sister and your family - so much to bear in a short time. Such a burden for your sister to bear.

I am thankful that I am still alive and able to enjoy my family and friends.
I am most thankful for my family, my dear husband, my stepdaughters and their families, and especially for my grandchildren who bring joy to all around them.

I am thankful that God gave me some talents to enable me to be creative and give of myself through my crafts to my family and friends.

I want to wish everyone a healthy, safe, and happy holiday season.

ABitDaffy
11-22-2007, 02:31 AM
Kim, my heart aches for your sister! How difficult this time must be for her and for the rest of your family,too. Please know that I'm thinking of you and sending you my prayers....

I am thankful for so many things. As I sat down and scrapped today (for the first time in weeks because I've been so crazily busy), I looked at the picture of my oldest niece and my youngest baby and the words "Blessed Beyond Words" popped into my head. And I realize that I am blessed and I am thankful for those blessings:

I am thankful for my friends, both those I see everyday and the ones I've only met through the computer; for my family, even though we're spread out all over the country today, they are near in my heart; my sister, who understands all of my oddities exactly; for my baby girls, who can turn my most difficult day into a trip to the park, both literally and figuratively; for the men and women who are serving in places far, far away, so that I can sit in my house and enjoy a warm meal, safe from the thought of anyone trying to prevent me from celebrating the way I want; for my husband, who works so very hard so I can stay home and be with our girls, who loves me unconditionally, and who is my biggest champion and my greatest cheerleader. Most of all, on this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my faith and my believe that no matter what the trials of this life, there is a better, more beautiful place, just around the bend, where there is no pain and no heartache. And I am thankful that I live in a country where I am allowed to express that faith, along with a multitude of other who may or may not believe as I do. Yes, I am blessed beyond words.....Thank you all for being part of what I'm thankful for today...

gigichet
11-22-2007, 06:44 AM

Oh Kim,
I am so sorry to hear of your sisters loss...and so thankful that she has a wonderful and supportive family to help her through this tough time. {{{{{hugs}}}}} and prayers to you and your family.