PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal?

amyleigh1204
11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
For me, being the southern girl that I am, it is definitely the dressing. We don't have stuffing, we have dressing and I absolutely love my mother's recipe! I actually had to call her and fuss at her a little because she is letting my brother make it this year!!!! I was heart broken, but she told me that she was really afraid that he may not make enough, so she was going to go ahead and make a pan. I will eat some of his, of course, to be nice---and it may be really great, but, I still get to have my mom's!!!! YAY!!!!

emst
11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Being Italian, besides having Turkey and all the trimmings my mom always made Homemade Pasta (and I mean rolling it and cutting by hand, no machine), sauce and meatballs. With that on top of the usual Thanksgiving Dinner we had way too much to eat, had to wear a dress or pants with elastic waistband in order to get it all in. When my girls are with us I do the homemade pasta just like my mom did but when we are alone my poor husband doesn't get the added pasta. She also made a great dressing, she would bake it in a 9x13 pans, we called it walk away dressing because we could cut it in squares.

charliesnana
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Definitely the dressing. I make cornbread dressing. We have been married 47 years and I still have the piece of paper I wrote the recipe on from when I called my Mother that first year we were married. My husband was stationed in Connecticut and our parents were in Texas where we were raised. I still make it the exact same way. Yummy!

Hmmm ... I think I should scrap that recipe.

gigichet
11-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I am a true southerner too and my daughter even requested that I make my cornbread dressing this year and my hubby makes the best candied yams from scratch...yummo. Between the food and the family what more could a person ask for.

Antje
11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Hearing all this makes my mouth water - can I come? Too bad we are not celebrating Thanksgiving...

babyofmine
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Mine has to be the sweet potatoes topped with browned marshmallows. ... actually, maybe it's just the browned marshmallows. :laugh: I also really look forward to pumpkin pie, maple turkey, and twice-baked mashed potatoes.

Antje, you could make some food and have your own Giving Thanks Dinner! :D

inge
11-21-2007, 02:59 AM
I find it very interesting to read since we don't know thanksgiving either... but I don't mind with Christmas and Newyear on the doorstep it is bussy enough.

What is a traditional menu for thanksgiving ? Is it local or pretty much the same in the whole US ?

It seems very special all those family recipes from mother to daughter... Sadly I'm the cook in the family, not my mother! LOL

Melody
11-21-2007, 04:52 AM
I think the menu is mostly traditional, but varies according to which side of the country you (or your parents) were raised in. I think the standard though is turkey, stuffing/dressing, potatoes, yams/sweet potatoes, dinner rolls, green beans and pie for dessert. Although I'm sure other people see the standards a little differently from me. Lol! My BF's mom is Athabascan so a traditional holiday food for them is piroc (pronouced pe-roc). It's a salmon and rice pie that is super thick and super yummy. I'd have to say the piroc and my Mom's pies are my favorite part of Thanksgiving. She's making 5 kinds this year too! All from scratch too with my Grandmother's pie crust recipe. Mmmmm, Thursday can't come soon enough.

amyleigh1204
11-21-2007, 06:51 AM
I know I will be cooking today....we go to my parents for the day on Thanksgiving, but since I have 5 brothers and sisters, we all pitch in. We all bring different parts of the meal (assigned by my mother to who she thinks will make the best of that particular dish). I am making corn casserole, a broccoli and bacon salad, a dessert, and whatever else I want to bring. I think I may not eat today, so I will be extra hungry tomorrow!!!!

KattyZak
11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Is wine a choice? JK. There are things I don't do; dressing/stuffing & cranberries.
I'm not sure I have a favorite but think its all good.

anitastreet
11-21-2007, 08:05 AM
has to be the gravy :) I use only drippings from the turkey roasting pan..and a bit of homemade broth....yum! I thicken it with cornstarch so it's not lumpy ...and I pour it on everything! I know...not healthy but I don't worry about it on T'giving!

Maisie
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Let's see...
My faves are, my husband cranberry sauce, made from scratch. He's been doing that for the last 10 years or so. Since he found out how easy it is to make.
We visited Williamsburg, VA, one year, so now we make peanut soup. Super yummy and so rich.
But my fave has to be, corn pudding. My Mom used to make it every year.
My family absolutely hates it, so I haven't had it in 30 years.
I'll miss talking to my sister this Thanksgiving. We call each other and trade what recipes we are making this year.