PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Woman Cooks

KattyZak
11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Did anyone see this entry on her blog about brining the turkey? I had showed it to my DH and he really wants to try it. He tried one grocery store for brine yesterday but no go [and yea, he went to the grocery store while I stayed behind at the wrestling match for parents' meeting...but then again, I bailed on that because I was there last year]
Anyways as I went to her blog to get the link I see where she got the brine...Williams Sonoma. Yikes. A 30-40 minute trek.

anitastreet
11-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm sure you could make your own brine solution...salt and seasonings....I was thinking of doing this and with making it myself can add the seasonings and herbs that I like.

I'm sure you could google for brine recipes...I may try that now!

edited..okay..I found lots of recipes with a quick search:

http://www.ingoodtastestore.com/Recipes/Brine_Turkey.asp

http://www.recipezaar.com/101391

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17081,00.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html

for more try googling: turkey brine recipe

KattyZak
11-20-2007, 07:52 AM
After I posted this, I got to looking through her comments on her blog and there are some suggestions there as far as recipes. I'll have to see what the DH wants to do as he is the official turkey man around here. He got a big one, too, a whopping 25 lbs.

Maisie
11-20-2007, 08:01 AM
My husband and I used the second foodnetwork brine recipe, and personally, I didn't like it. It made the bird taste weird to me. But it was very juicy and moist.
My mom used to soak the turkey in our kitchen sink, with just salt water.
I'm sure you could just add spices to the salt water, and have a juicy, moist turkey.
I bought a huge 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot and used that. I am thinking of soaking our turkey over night this year. It's frozen, so it should be cold enough. If not just add some ice to the water.

emst
11-20-2007, 09:38 AM
I'll have to try the brine too, I heard that it makes the turkey extra moist.

Mary, love your photo and the selective coloring on your glasses.

gigichet
11-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I saw this on Martha Stewart this week...sounds kind of interesting.

babyofmine
11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I didn't like the brined turkey I had. Maybe it was just a bad recipe, but it didn't make me want to try it again. I use a maple syrup-based recipe I found on allrecipes. It is sooooo yummy! :)

Maisie
11-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks!! :laugh:

I'll have to try the brine too, I heard that it makes the turkey extra moist.

Mary, love your photo and the selective coloring on your glasses.

KattyZak
11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I know I hate to mess with the turkey on the big day. DH cooked a turkey couple weeks ago...probably a better time to experiment then when you have a house full of guests.
Thanks for all the ideas and recipes.

mosser77
11-21-2007, 05:24 AM
I bit the bullet and bought the Williams-Sonoma brine yesterday. I just finished boiling it and now it is cooling down so we can give the turkey his bath. It smells sooooo good. I'll letcha know how it tastes tomorrow :)

KattyZak
11-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Yea Erin! We are going with the traditional way of doing things, but I look forward to hearing how it turns out. We'll experiment on another day.

anitastreet
11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
well, my turkey breast is still thawing so I doubt I'll brine.

Katie is going to help cook so I'll stick with my normal method....I clean the bird well and put fresh herbs under the skin and in the cavity (along with onions and shallots in the cavity)....baste with butter for a golden brown skin...I have fresh sage, rosemary, thyme...and what the heck I'll stick a couple cloves of garlic in the cavity too....makes the drippings yummy for gravy..my favorite part of the meal :)

making a pork sausage/cornbread dressing... soft rolls,fresh steamed broccoli, fresh corn on the cob and some yummy fresh asparagus....and small dish of mashed potatoes for Lizzie..she's the only one that really likes them!.... and we have a pumpkin pie for me and Lizzie ..and a Lemon Pie for Katie and Daddy (she loves to make this pie)

KattyZak
11-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Erin, do tell, how did your turkey turn out?

mosser77
11-24-2007, 09:08 PM
It was actually pretty good! Roasted it in one of those turkey bags, so it only took about 2 1/2 hours. I was a little nervous b/c my mom told me (on T-day) she saw online where you weren't supposed to brine a Butterball turkey b/c it gets too salty....but I think it turned out fine. The flavor was really good, and it was moist. My BIL said it was one of the best turkeys he's had (in all his 24 years, LOL!) so I guess it was a winner. I thought the Williams-Sonoma brine was worth the $$ and will probably do it again.