PDA

View Full Version : Will you or won't you???

HollyS
11-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, last year, I did the crazy thing of heading up to Best Buy at midnight after thanksgiving and standing in a cold and rainy line that was already wrapped around the back when I got there just to get to the great deals with the doors opened. I swore that I wouldn't do that again but I haven't yet seen the sales that might entice me to bite the bullet and do it again....?!?!:twitcy:

So, are you all planning to brave the world of shopping out there on Friday? Or maybe us internet savvy folks that we all are might just do a bit of online shopping from the nice comforts of our home with our full bellies!!! Yeah....that sounds like a much better idea to me!!! :wink:

What about you??

gigichet
11-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Well I think that I am gonna be a "chicken" and just let my fingers do the shopping this year. So I am gonna be wise and stay in, enjoy my leftovers and avoid the crowds. "Black Fridays" are crazy...

Antje
11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I've been out shopping today and if that indicates any of what is still to come - nooo way. I'm doing online-shopping!
Especially with a 3-year-old and 9-month-old boy to keep me company...

tborntreger
11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Hmm.. I haven't decided. Last year we got up EARLY and of course I felt the need to shower and leave the house with a wet head.....probably silly b/c i swear i was the only fool to take a bath that morning. LOL but I headed out to Best Buy then over to Target b/c I just had to have this blanket and boy I certainly don't regret it every night when I cuddle up in it's soft soft soft did I mention soft shell and wrap it around me. I'm just not sure if I'll do it again this year. I'll be home at my mom's so if I do I'll have a sitter built in so that's a plus and the only day of the year that I will be able to take advantage of having a sitter. Moral of the story is... i will probably brave it. Hey what else do I have to do anyway.. Considering i have only gotten the boys one thing...and it's something they can't really use till it gets warm out! (baseball things)... i'm rambling... lol

Sexy__Eyes
11-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I did the black Friday thing ONCE!Never again. I do most of my shopping on line. It saves time and $ in the long run ( no gas no looking for parking spots etc.) plus my kids have ALWAYS asked for things that the stores were out of and werent getting back in stock until Christmas Eve. Usually they have them instock online.

mapsgirl
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm thinking that Americans shop on Black Fridays like we Canadians shop on Boxing Day (day after Christmas)

Our Thanksgiving always falls on a Monday so there isn't an extra day off for crazy shopping.

For all of you who do decide to brave the crowd, good luck!

(So what's the hot ticket item that people will be after this year? Or are you just going out for good deals in general?)

anitastreet
11-17-2007, 06:33 PM
yup, I will.. and I have every year for the past 30 years..now it's just the nostalgia of it I think...I can't stop now :)

The WORST year was when we were visiting the inlaws in Ohio one year at Thanksgiving...I stood outside in 20degree temps to wait for Staples to open...but I got a nice flatbed scanner for $19 when they were selling for $99.....and my Peg Perego Avia stroller for only $49 instead of $149....

The key is to go early, have a game plan and be quick...then be home early..by 10am it's sheer craziness...and stores like Best Buy seem the craziest.

In all honesty I am done shopping except a couple small gifts.....my Mom, grandmother and mother inlaw....we'll be in Florida with my Mom and my 94 year old grandmother....so I want gifts instead of gift cards....and my MIL..well, I usually find some jewelry on sale for her.....we live in a small town ..and this year we have a Target ...and Kohl's opened last year just before Christmas..so I'll be there and that's probably it..unless I find something great in the papers and I have to head to Fredericksburg (an hour drive..but I've done it in previous years....really have to get up early for that)...

as for online shopping....usually at 12:01am you can start finding online deals for the Friday after Thanksgiving...

have fun :) I know I will!!

KattyZak
11-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Last year was my 1st year really doing the sales. [We had done them with the inlaws many years ago but at a more realistic time frame and being out of the metro that was cool.] But last year my DD, and her then BF, left here at 3:00 to be at the Best Buy line at 3:30. We didn't really have a game plan but got one together quickly with her, dd, in the camera line and me in the Ipod line. We were out of there by 6:00 which wasn't quick enough to snag the snowboard deals at Sport Authority or anything at Target. I was probably home by 8:00.
Do it again? Absolutely...was way fun~! And now we will have a better plan.

twirlyjoy
11-18-2007, 12:58 AM
No Black Friday here for us - a bit difficult to have Black friday when we don't have Thanksgiving!!!

Like the Canadians, our crazy shopping day is Boxing Day, but I won't be shopping - just way too crazy"!

Debra
11-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Joy, that boxing day sounds even more ominous!

I won't be out there for black friday either! Never have, probably never will. Anymore, I don't care to shop even in normal shopping conditions, much less with the craziness of that particular time!

Heck, just the craziness at the grocery store today was more than enough for me!

Good luck to all brave ones who do decide to go for it!!

khalgren77
11-18-2007, 07:36 AM
I have done it the last cpl of yrs but so far have not seen any sales that have the WOW factor for me...I check up on the black friday ads on line and so far no good sales....plus it makes this ALOT more challenging and frustrating to shop when your wheelchair bound and people feel the need to stop OVER you when you're going thru the door then get mad when you roll over their toes...HELLO! Don't be a dumb a$$ and walk over me then...LOL...online shopping for me too!

heylady
11-18-2007, 08:03 AM
My daughters & I will probably go out. Crazy deals just in time for Chrsitmas. Should be at our Fred Meyer store for hot cocoa and doughnuts by 9 am.. Home by 10 am.

Mom_of_5
11-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I've only done it once (so far) and that was several years ago with my dad when they lived here in Ohio also. WOW! What a crazy thing! I never dreamed I'd be waiting in line at Best Buy in the freezing cold & snow to SHOP!

Now, with that said, since we are going to New Hampshire to visit with my parents for Thanksgiving then there is a good chance I could do it again. My dad & I are real suckers for great deals on camera & electronic gadgets!

amyleigh1204
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Absolutely not!!! I will be doing the internet thing--I like that better anyway! I did the early mornign thing a few times, and hated it every time! I went with my mom and sisters, but this year we won't be staying overnight. The only reason I went was just to go with them. I never even bought anything! We would go out to breakfast afterward so that was the draw for me!