PDA

View Full Version : new Dell laptop...comments..suggestions...

anitastreet
10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
hi all.. I'm about to get a new Dell laptop.. I want a workhorse....and I'm wondering what you all have...

I know I only want Dell..I've had very good luck with them...my current laptop is a Dell Inspirion 8600, I've had it about 3 1/2 years..it's going to my daughter.

I know I want the fastest processor and I'm going to go with a dual processer..and a big harddrive..and as much memory as we can afford...

I've narrowed it down to the Dell Lattitude and a Dell xps... I am leaning toward the Lattitude because I can use Windows XP with it and don't have to switch to Vista.....the xps laptop needed Vista.....

the Lattitude would be a 15" screen...anyone have WUXGA(1920 x 1200 pixels), I know for gaming it's recommended..but I'm leaning toward the WSXGA(1680 x 1050 pixels).....mostly because of the resolution setting (I know on my current laptop I can't really resize my screen dimensions like I could on my desktop..it's has an optimal setting and anything else pretty much stinks)...

ABitDaffy
10-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Anita, I have the XPS and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! I have an older XPS desktop (with XP) and the laptop with Vista. I honestly have had no trouble with Vista, even writing Visual Basic code on it. PSP runs beautifully on it - I know that you're switching to Photoshop so someone might need to weigh in on it and Vista, but PSP had no trouble with the switch. I got the mid-grade XPS system with 2 GB of RAM, a nice size hard drive and the 2.16 Intel Duo Core processor. I'm very happy with the speed! I hooked it up to a wireless network at the house (it came with a wireless card) and I've so enjoyed being able to work anywhere. I know that the monitor is smaller than the Latitude, but I don't mind it, particularly since it makes the whole laptop a bit smaller and lighter. When I need more screen space, I just hook it up to my Dell flat screen (or use them both for a split screen) and I'm good to go. I'm a Dell girl, too - I'm on my third one!

anitastreet
10-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Daffy..thanks for the input...I may stick with PSP.. I really like it a lot ...and use PSE only for the few things I can't do in PSP (yet.. but who knows with a PSP upgrade that may be a moot point)....so Vista is okay then? I have such trouble with change sometimes! you've given me something to think about..and yes, this will be my 3rd Dell...they've been awesome....they've just become outdated and slow with new software...as is normal with computers....thanks again...I have to order it fairly soon...we get reimbursed for 60% of it if it's purchased in the next 2 weeks (perfect timing as my birthday is Nov 8!)

Antje
10-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Hmmm - I don't know much about the topic, but I asked my husband who knows quite a lot about hardware and he said, that Lattitude is considered a pure business notebook. He would not use it privately, as the grafik card is not even mentioned in the description at dell.com and not recommended for good grafic display and gaming.

Plus, he would no longer buy a 15'' screen. And even though Dell only offers XP for the Lattitude notebook, if you have XP you can search for the drivers for all the hardware and install XP with the drivers on any other notebook.

He also said that the XPS is a great notebook and he would buy it instantly, but a high end product and pretty expensive.

Depending on what you would like to do with it, he would recommend a Dell Vostro 1700, it has a 17'' screen, you can put up to 4GB memory in there and up to 320GB harddrive. And the grafic card is very good and even there, you have the choice to go for a better one.
And you get the dual core processor (dual processor you would not get in a notebook, but dual core - there is a difference, but please don't ask me...) if you want to.

Hope that helps...

anitastreet
10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Antje.thanks for the input as well...I think the reason that I have to go with VISTA with the XPS is because of the video card..or was it the sound card? I forget.. but if I go that route I'd go ahead and bite the bullet so to speak and switch to Vista....hmm, my husband has a Lattitude and the graphics are amazing....

I'll have to go back and look at the Vostra.. I think it was something to do with disk speek on the hard drive that turned me away from it...but I don't recall without looking it over again...

and thanks..yes, dual core is different then dual processor...I knew that .. but don't ask me either what the difference is :) my hubby is a computer expert..but not for graphic stuff..so I thought I'd ask those that know ..like the great folks here..for input! thanks so much...

Antje
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I just checked the Vostra again and at least in Germany you can choose between 5400RPM and 7200RPM for hard drive speed. For me, the last one would be enough.
And if you don't do gaming or grafic developments on your notebook, the grafic card on the Lattitude might be enough. Anyway, if you do videos and stuff, why not go for the far better one? I think I would.

I am so glad that I do not have to buy a new notebook at the moment. My acer is not one of the best or fastest, but it works pretty reliable. And next year, I have to buy a new one but leave that all to my DH to choose... LOL