PDA

View Full Version : Help ... Answer this one Please....

Debra
10-28-2007, 11:07 AM
We've seen threads about what you want in a kit, etc... But I was thinking this morning.. (dangerous, I know.. hehe)

What is it that will make you pass up a kit for purchase or even a free one?

Ugly colors will do it for me...

I think I speak for all of our Designers here in thanking you with your help in answering this question :twitcy:

Edited to add... would love your brutal honesty here :)

emst
10-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Okay here is my honesty, colors are a definite for when I choose a kit and using it, also the elements, I want elements in a kit that I know I will use even if I mix and match kits.

mosser77
10-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I would have to agree that colors make it or break it.

I don't like kits that have the same element in 47 different colors...give me 2 or 3 different buttons, and I can recolor if I need to. I'd have to say I make a choice based more on the elements than papers, and like kits with unique/creative elements.

gigichet
10-28-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree the colors really mean a lot and the elements. But I also look at the quality of the kit. I have even downloaded some and then deleted them because I didn't like the way that the paper and elements looked after I got the kit open.

Debra
10-28-2007, 12:46 PM
ok.. what do you mean "the way it looked?" too much texture? Too much bevel? Jaggies? ...Elements to big or too small? Anything else?

griest
10-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I will pass up a kit that looks too "cartoonish" if thats a word? Kinda like the early paper scrap stuff--lots of stickers, clip art, etc. KWIM?

KattyZak
10-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I will pass up a kit that looks too "cartoonish" if thats a word? Kinda like the early paper scrap stuff--lots of stickers, clip art, etc. KWIM?
I have to agree with that, too. I am not into what was hot in scrapping 10 years ago or that which looks like clip art.
I also don't like papers that look great small but when you look at them full screen or the like they are just way off..and I can't even explain that...they look unrealistic.
Color is important to me, too. Plus I like when a kit complements itself. Like if the greens will all go together or reds. If there is a lot of printed paper, its nice to have a few solids that complement that as well.
Does any of this make sense? Hope so.:confused1:

Antje
10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
For me, of course the color does it. But I also look more for the elements. I like a variety of creative elements. Only buttons and ribbons are not enough... there has to be more to a kit. And alphas - most of the time I don't need them at all. They are too troublesome to work with, I don't like it much.

And I have to agree with Gwen, the quality of a kit does it. I also deleted some kits after downloading them...
With quality I mean the texture of the papers and the "look and feel" of the elements. Papers should have a texture or a somehow "real" feeling to them, even if they are plain. And sometimes the patterned papers just don't feel right, more like gift wrapping paper than anything else.
And some elements don't look real, they somehow look "flat" (I don't quite know how to explain, I don't know all the words in english that could describe what I mean - you know, I'm not so perfect in english... LOL).

Okay, you wanted brutal honesty... LOL

I know that designing is hard work and creativity is a gift and I also know that I could not do what even those designers create that I would not buy from. And I appreciate very much that there are people like you there who create all that beauty that we can use.
And of course I know that it is all a matter of personal taste - but this is just my opinion.

Sexy__Eyes
10-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I look for color and versitility (sp). Elements are also important but I can also recolor. A couple of buttons, few ribbongs, doodles. I do mix and match my kits so I look for what I can use most for my money.

lillypug34
10-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I pass up things that have been done over and over. I am a big fan of new, interesting, fun to look at designs. Even if I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, if there is a really unique element in there, I'll buy it for sure:wink:

gigichet
10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
ok.. what do you mean "the way it looked?" too much texture? Too much bevel? Jaggies? ...Elements to big or too small? Anything else?

I look at the texture of the paper and elements. I want stuff that has a realistic look to it.

I know that designers have to do a lot of guessing as to what will and what won't sell. And all of you here at GDS are doing a wonderful job--that is why I never have any money...haha

myahsmommy
10-28-2007, 04:34 PM
I agree with most of you... I hate being repetative. Color of course. I do have to repeat what you all are saying about elements. I LOVE elements!! The more versatile, the better. But, for me to buy a kit, it does have to have a wide variety. Buttons and ribbons alone won't work for me either! The thing that everyone is mentioning about texture.... I won't buy a kit that doesn't look real. I hate flat kits!! The more realistic the elements the faster I'll buy it no matter what color the kit is.

Antje
10-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree with most of you... I hate being repetative. Color of course. I do have to repeat what you all are saying about elements. I LOVE elements!! The more versatile, the better. But, for me to buy a kit, it does have to have a wide variety. Buttons and ribbons alone won't work for me either! The thing that everyone is mentioning about texture.... I won't buy a kit that doesn't look real. I hate flat kits!! The more realistic the elements the faster I'll buy it no matter what color the kit is.

Yes, flat is one of the words that did not come to mind when I wrote my post. Flat does not work for me either. I need the realistic look.

anitastreet
10-28-2007, 07:42 PM
color is a biggie here too.. love rich colors and textures...papers or elements that look flat I won't buy it..or even download for free.

I LOVE elements...the more the better...and I agree with others.. I'd rather have a just a couple buttons, bows, etc to go with the kit then 10 of them in every color....I LOVE kits that coordinate with other kits...if I can use your kits together I am more likely to buy it...love realistic elements and papers...the lack of good elements turns me away from a lot of stuff...

I love ribbons..when they look like real ribbons...ribbons that just look like cropped papers without the depth or feel of a real ribbon turn me off too.

I also love frames/photo mats too and prefer them plain..let me embellish them or not...

oh, and I love contrasting/complementary colors in a kit better then a one tone color kit...love a mix of dark and light papers too.... I'm less likely to buy a monotone kit..I Like a little variety..

and if you have tags and charms in your kit, please give us a fastener or ribbon/twine or something to hang them or staple them ....

also..photo corners..if you are putting lighting highlights on them then please do 4 different ones so the lighting angles look more realistic......

(I always have an opinion :) thanks for asking!)

ABitDaffy
10-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Now, this is gonna sound weird, considering the name of our craft, but I don't like things that look digitized - I don't know how else to describe it - things that look flat and colors that don't look quite natural. And, while I am a fan of cutesy kind of elements, particularly doodled ones, I'm not a fan of ones that are flat or filled with single colors. And papers that don't have any depth or texture to them. I've seen kits where it looked like all that happened was picking a color and flood filling the paper. And, I'm finding myself being a bit more picky as my collection of digi-stuff grows and grows. I love purple, but really how many purple background papers do I need?

babyofmine
10-29-2007, 05:06 AM
I think it's all been said. :) I agree that color is the thing that draws me in, but the quality has to be the best, or it doesn't matter if it matches anything, it just won't look right. I love the grungy look, but I know how to achieve that if it's not there, so it's not mega-important. I have 2 boys (and hopefully 4 soon, as long as the adoption goes through) so things that can be used for boys is pretty much a must, though I do occasionally buy things just for me. :D

ScrapShana
11-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I have to echo a lot of what has been said already. Color is of course the first thing that draws my eye. Texture and prints are next. I don't like kits with the same papers just different colors. Same for elements. Unique elements are best. If a designer gets too attached to a certain group of elements, or prints, and uses them over and over in their kits, soon I'll go right over their stuff.

Unpredicability is the key I think. Fresh, new and bright. :)