PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your stash??

kel3120
10-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I am completely frustrated! I cannot figure out how to organize this massive amount of kits that I have collected. I had bought Digital ScrapRoom awhile ago and thought it was so cool how I could sort everything so when I wanted frames, they would be right there. I really thought I have found the answer with this program...

However, I ended up having major problems. I moved everything over to an EHD, so that completely wiped out all of the organizing I previously had done. I redid a bunch of it, but now that I have more stuff it is just really slow. Just to look through the ribbons that I have would take about 5 minutes. Lately I have just been sticking to one kit to do my layouts because I just don't want to deal with it.

Anyway, I was going to keep going with the organizing tonight, but I thought I should ask to see if there was something else I could try that would be better than this. I would appreciate any ideas on how to get things organized!

Thanks in advance!

KattyZak
10-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't have an answer for you as I am in the same dilemma. I am going to to the ACDsee thing once I get up and running again and have photos straightened out. I am going to use one of ACDsee's templates for a styling method.
I do like to use a kit, too, because it takes forever to look for things.

gigichet
10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I had all of mine organized by frames, colors of paper, ribbons etc. And I regret organizing that way so I went back to each designer and keeping all of their work together and I like it this way much better. That way the entire layout can coordinate without me digging through each and every folder for hours. That is just my suggestion...

petitflocondeneige
10-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Just like Gwen, everything is organized by website/designer. Most of the time, I don't do mixes, I just use one page kit at a time.

I had started to organize each kit with subfolders names "ribbons - name of the kit - designer - website", "papers - name of the kit - designer - website". This was useful with picasa (from google) which allows you to view folders by name (I could see all papers at once), but that's a lot of work, I can't view all the items of one kit, and it doesn't work well on linux!

Pahina722
10-22-2007, 05:45 AM
I have everything organized by website and then by kit (I haven't gotten as organized as by designer yet) within the website. I'm seriously thinking of buying ACDSee, though, so that I can keep the current organization but add the ability to categorize all the kit previews. That way, I could quickly "flip" through all the previews to see exactly what I had and wanted to use.

As it is right now, I keep forgetting that I have some things--especially if they're from sites I rarely visit/buy from.

KattyZak
10-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Paige, on the ACDsee, you can organize by both kits and individual things, right? That is how I want to do it.

ABitDaffy
10-22-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm a geek - I wrote my own program so I could organize by all kinds of tags (designers, sites, kit types, etc) I know I could have bought ACDSee, but I wanted to try my own, and I added a credit-writing module to help me with all my credits - I'm always combining things from all kinds of kits and posting credits can sometimes be a pain!

mosser77
10-22-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm a geek - I wrote my own program so I could organize by all kinds of tags (designers, sites, kit types, etc) I know I could have bought ACDSee, but I wanted to try my own, and I added a credit-writing module to help me with all my credits - I'm always combining things from all kinds of kits and posting credits can sometimes be a pain!

I'm amazed...*woot

Pahina722
10-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Kathy---yes, ACDSee does both kits and individual elements. When I had the trial, I started out by organizing the individual pieces, but quickly realized that I would have helped myself more if I started with the kits and then went back to the pieces after all the kits were catalogued.

jonimarony
10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I have a folder for every designer and the kits are subfolders in their folder. I have just gotten AcdSee and I'm in the process of organizing with it. It is taking a very long time because of the amount of my digi stash, but I know I will be happy once I get it all done.

kel3120
10-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I downloaded the trail version of ACDSee and am thinking about purchasing it. From what I've used of it, it is easier to use and faster than Digital Scraproom. There is a coupon code for 25% off if you buy it in October, so it's tempting!

sillyleann
10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
This will be long, but I have done much research on this. You need to get a software program that will do this (i.e. ACDsee). I use PSP Album which came free with V9 to organize my kits. On my computer, I keep everything organized by store (or designer if I have a bunch of their stuff, i.e. Theresa Borntreger, Andrea Gold, and Amy Fenner all have their own folder. All the other GDS designers get filed under GDS). Then, by designer, then by kit. I never change this. In PSP Album, I went through first and categorized all the previews. So, I can browse at least the previews if nothing else. The key is to find a program that will assign key words. So, with one click, I pull up every preview of everything I own. If I like something from that kit, I can tell it to open that folder. Presto, all of the contents of the kit is right there.
Second, figure out how you will pull things up. For me, my elements are categorized by type and then color. Some of my categories are papers, bows and knots, buttons, borders, frames, fasteners, doodles, flowers, mats, glitter, ribbons, stamps, stitches, and so on. Then I categorize by color: red, orange, yellow, green, turquoise, blue, purple, pink, brown, black, silver, gold, and so on. Really this step is according to you. You can also go more steps by adding categories such as theme, etc.
Third, go kit by kit and assign these to your pieces. I started with the ones I tended to go back to the most.
It took me weeks to do this. I am still not 100% done. However, I am disciplined to tag any new product that I get. The key is to keep up with it.

Good luck!! I hope you find success with organizing. I also organize my photos only I use PS Elements. I keyword every picture by person and event. So if it is a picture of DD playing the floor, it will get keyworded by her name and home. I can do a search for her name and I can pull up every single picture that I have taken of her. I can even choose a date range or all the pictures of DS at the zoo. This makes using/finding photos so easy. Also, my son will come up and ask to look at pictures. I pull up every picture he appears in. Just some bonus information for you. :)

Antje
10-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Wow, this sounds like so much work - I doubt that I'll ever find the time... But the thing with the photos sounds good. I name every photo the same way, i.e. year-month-day-hour-minute-second-name of person or event. That also helps in organising them, especially if you are not the only one taking pictures...

kel3120
10-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all of those ideas! I really like the thought of organizing my photos that way, Leann. I thought I had a pretty good system going, but your way sounds so much better! How neat to be able to search for the people in the photo!

softerimagegrl
11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I use Thumbs Plus Pro. I love it. I can put my kits in folders under main folders. But then it lets me add it to a gallery, and it will show me the whole gallery at once. And you can have them in multiple galleries at once.

Morgane
11-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I keep each kit in its own folder, then categorize by designer, colour, ribbon, paper, etc. in ACDsee. I like that I can choose to view, for example, all the papers I have that also have flowers, or that are a particular colour, as you can add each item to multiple categories, then choose to view either everything that falls into the categories selected or only the ones that fit into all the categories selected.