PDA

View Full Version : Sad Sad Sad!!!

twirlyjoy
09-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Am really not sure how I am going to get through the next week!!! My little Alice (ok, so she's 10!!) is going away for a week with the school on a residential trip! She is only an hour and a half away, but we aren't allowed any contact with them at all, which whilst I understand that, it makes it very hard!!!

She is very excited and nervous (understandable!) and I am just very nervous! lol!! I am sure she will have a fantastic time, but if any of you have any ideas as to how I can keep my mind off of the fact that I am one daughter short this week, they would be gratefully appreciated!!!!!

gigichet
09-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Oh she will have a blast...and I am sure that you will miss her. You can keep yourself busy with all of the new challenges that start on October 1st at GDS. And think of all of the freebies that you will get by doing all of the challenges not to mention all of the wonderful layouts that you will get done.

emst
09-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Oh Jill, it doesn't get any easier when they go away. I didn't know what to do the first time I let my mom have Michelle for a week and she was only two at the time but with my mom living 2 hours away they didn't get to see her too often. I called at least ten times a day so that helped, you won't even be able to have any contact with her. Like Gwen said try to stay busy and be sure to join in on my challenge which starts tomorrow. Sorry I had to plug it LOL. You can Hello me if you get real lonely.

Pahina722
09-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Yup---my solution would be to enjoy the extra time you'll have to get some serious scrapping done! I suppose it might be a little nerve-wracking to be forbidden contact with her, but you know she'll be having a blast and is well-supervised, so just enjoy yourself as well.

Notice I said, "I suppose" not "I know." My DH is almost 10 and spends of nights and weekends away from us--but always with relatives, so I never have to wonder if he's having a good time or being watched. I know he is. I don't really know how I'll feel if he spends a week away from me without family around. If I'm lucky, I won't have to experience it until he goes to college--and he swears he's going to live with us while he does that!

KattyZak
09-30-2007, 03:51 PM
My kids have always gone to camps so been there, done that. There were many times it was at the same time, so, it was a nice break. I waited at the mailbox for letters that typically didn't come.
My suggestion might be to have a surprise for her that will keep your mind occupied...paint her room, clean her room, reorganize her room and/or closet...or scrap a page a day of her to show her.
I also created fun letters with lots of photos of them to mail, if that is allowed.

Maisie
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
My kids went on week long trips in the 6th grade.
I missed them, but they had a blast!
Of course my two boys didn't take showers for a week. ugh P U!
Try to enjoy your time with out her. Do something special for yourself!

twirlyjoy
10-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, she went off absolutely fine on Monday morning - was last seen making faces at me from the coach window!!!! I went straight to the gym to keep my mind off of it, but ended up chatting to a retired teacher about various residential trips she had taken kids on!!!!

I got a text message yesterday from her group leader who also happens to be a good friend of mine! She said that Alice had a few tears on Monday night, but I am not surprised by that as nights away are always worse than the days, but that she was very excited yesterday as they were zip-wiring and canoeing!!!

The decorating idea was something I had already planned! When she gets back, her room will be a pretty pink colour!! She does know about it, so it won't be a surprise unfortunately, but hopefully she will like it!!

petitflocondeneige
10-03-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm sure the week will pass in no time, and you will wonder why you were so anxious ;-) Good luck for the remaining days, though!