PDA

View Full Version : 4Shared popups ads

HollyS
09-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Just wanted to bring to your attention something a couple of us have experienced this week while clicking on a link to download something from 4shared. We've got some strange but malicious popups which is unusual. On the 4shared site forums, this post was done:

http://forum.4shared.com/viewtopic.php?t=6823

So in short, as you do with any site, be careful what you are clicking on because ads are getting more and more sophisticated in the way they look as if it's true popups from software running on your computer, etc.

I even just had a popup come up that asked for Ok or Cancel...do not click either but instead the X to close that window.

If all else fails, don't click!

gigichet
09-26-2007, 12:56 PM
thank you for the heads up Holly...I have had a few weird popups from 4 shared this week and wondered what was going on.

KattyZak
09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Me, too. Am not liking it either...on one occasion it shut me down. The pop up I am getting is "is your computer slow, bla, bla.."

anitastreet
09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Me, too. Am not liking it either...on one occasion it shut me down. The pop up I am getting is "is your computer slow, bla, bla.."

that's the same one I was getting and then it tried to install some nefarious program! The first time my antivirus software caught it as I had inadvertently clicked on something trying to get it to close! now I just close it down..but it takes a few tries..and yes, it has shut me down in the process! ugh! :mad: :no:

emst
09-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I've had one telling me that if my computer is running slower than normal I may have a virus and all of a sudden it starts doing some weird stuff and then it told me that I had some corrupted files and did I want to download their virus scanner. I hit the X to close that didn't work, I've had that one twice now. Of course my husband worked with computers daily for Verizon so he has a lot of experience. Anyway as usual I yell to him and he came in and looked and said that he would use his own program to check, guess what, nothing wrong, no bad files.

KattyZak
09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
That's cool, Elaine.
Does 4shared know about this...kind of wants me to stay away until they get resolved.