PDA

View Full Version : Warning... Rather Disgusting Topic.. Gassy Dog Anyone?

Debra
09-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Does anyone else have one of these?

My poor pooch is killing us.. Hannah runs from the room and then so do I because it's so bad.. different foods tried, making sure he has plenty of water... stopped the dog bones (mild bones) because those really "sent out" an ever worse rankiness!

Anyone else have to deal with this?

Just rename me the gas mask lady!:head_hurts_kr:

gigichet
09-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Oh you poor baby I feel your pain...been there and done that with the dog, and the bad part is usually they are the SBD (silent but deadly) farts too. Good luck to you and Hannah...You could send the dog down to visit your daughter at college she might need some company by now...haha

digiScrapper
09-21-2007, 08:37 AM
We had that problem with one of our dogs. It got worse as she got older. Yes, I know how it can clear a room. Also woke us up at night as she slept right next to our bed. We found some anti-gas tablets at PetSmart that worked pretty well. No problems getting them down as she'd eat anything so we just mixed them in with her food. They didn't eliminate the problem completely but made it bearable. I've also heard that mixing a little yogurt in with the food helps, but havent' tried that as I didn't hear about it until after the old doggie was gone.

emst
09-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Did you know that dogs, other animals I guess too, have sacs like skunks and there are times that they have to be taken to a vet to have them "pinched" to get the gases out. My mother-in-law was too cheap to take her dog to the vet so she does it herself. There is no way I would do that, no way at all.

HollyS
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
LMAO!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Deb, couldn't resist....!

lillypug34
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
My entire bedroom becomes a dutch oven at night. Let me set the scene - -
My lab sleeps at the foot of the bed and has what I consider to be the worst smelling gas on the planet. His gas is so bad that even when i bury my head in the pillow I can still smell it. His gas is constant, so just when the air clears it fills with his stench immediately.
I have 2 pugs - pugs are actually known for having some of the foulest doggie gas - and they sleep on the bed as well. Lilly is usually in the position where her gas points right at my face...lucky me.
My husband is not much better than the dogs ...
Now that I have thoroughly disgusted everyone I think I'll go eat some lunch.
:giggle:

Elaine - Both of my pugs have to get the squeeze every few months. The vet actually tried to teach my husband and I how to do it ---- NO WAY.

emst
09-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Beckie I'm still laughing and I'm so glad I ate my lunch already, hehe

casey4
09-21-2007, 09:03 AM
You also have to do that with poodles too. When I groomed her that was one of the chores I did, then I decide to have her groomed at a shop and they did it. This really kept the gas to a mimimum

Pahina722
09-21-2007, 09:57 AM
When I was a kid, we had a wonderful Irish setter who thought he was a "people." Unfortunately, that meant that when we were eating dinner, he had to be with us--right underneath the kitchen table--and he had the most AWFUL gas either. Imagine sitting down to an appetizing home-cooked meal, taking one bite, and then gagging when his silent-but-deadly wafted to our noses. Bleck!

Now, we have a gassy Jack Russell that doesn't think she's a people, but does believe that whereever I am, she must be under my feet. As I'm happily sitting at the computer desk, she'll wedge herself between my legs and the CPU and let 'er rip. Again---it just really spoils the mood, you know?

I'm happy to hear that perhaps there are solutions. If yogurt will do it, that puppy is gonna get health conscious!

Debra
09-21-2007, 10:29 AM
LOL... Glad I am not alone! And thanks for the many suggestions... I am so happy to hear there is a pill!!!

Helen
09-21-2007, 10:37 AM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/HelenEhrenhofer/rofl2-1.gif

My 7 yr Golden Retriever has the same problem - AARGHHH!

It can evacuate a room faster than anything - :laugh:

I grew up on dairy farm and had lots of pets - and I NEVER heard of any of these 'vet' things to do with the dogs - pinching and squeezing - what the heck is that all about! will have to ask my vet if there is something we can do to help my 'bailey' and US

no advice for you from me - just leave the room - or get nose plugs!!!!

digiScrapper
09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Just did a quick internet search and found a few websites on this.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=253

http://dogs.about.com/cs/generalcare/a/flatulence.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/gas.htm

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/gas.html

Some good suggestions. Hope this will be helpful.

KattyZak
09-21-2007, 11:00 AM
LOL

Maybe I can add this issue to my list of why we can't get a dog when the kids beg.

digiScrapper
09-21-2007, 12:45 PM
LOL KaddyZak. Just have them take a whiff of the most disgusting smell you can find and ask them if they're willing to live with that. Problem is, they might say yes! Course Mom has the final say, right?

bdjeepers
09-22-2007, 09:30 AM
A sure cure: Get a cat instead!

babyofmine
09-22-2007, 09:49 PM
No way, Barbara! :laugh: I used to have a CAT with the worst gas ever! My dogs had some foul moments, but my cat stole the show. ROFL

digiScrapper
09-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Plus you have to deal with the litter box. No way!

scrappintwins
09-23-2007, 10:56 PM
OH MY!!! I so needed that laugh today lol.....We have an English Bulldog and he can clear a room pretty fast himself. When it gets too bad I give him som pepto chewables. They won't hurt them and Lord knows it could only help...lol

I'm still giggling lololol:laugh:

Rossmab
09-24-2007, 06:55 AM
All I can say....is I'm glad I have a cat :)

Maisie
09-24-2007, 07:31 AM
My poor doggie, Midnight, could clear a room too.
After much trial and error, it was the snacks we were feeding him. some of those chew toys, and etc... Once we found some that didn't cause gas, we were home free, of gas that is... LOL