PDA

View Full Version : SPAM Alert - PMs from Buddha - Seriously

Helen
09-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi - this is not a joke. This is for real.

Just read the posting here at DST about a new spammer - named Buddha, who has been found in several forums in the last 2 days - and it will shut down your pc.

http://digishoptalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=78573

Person is sending out pms to others in the forum, and there are links in the message - if opened - will infect your pc and shut it down.

So if you get a PM from someone named Buddha - here - or in any forum - don't open it.

tborntreger
09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info Helen. I wish people like this would just get a life!

petitflocondeneige
09-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Theresa: :-)
I wish people stopped clicking on every link they receive from strangers!

Helen
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Theresa: :-)
I wish people stopped clicking on every link they receive from strangers!

I agree - opening mail from strangers is a bad thing to do sometimes -

BUT with me being a new designer, I am getting pms from customers who have bought my products - and they want to thank me for a great product - some of my customers are strangers to me - so I wouldn't know not to open it.

Yes, Theresa, I wish they would get a life somewhere else - we don't want them here.

babydoe
09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I got one of those PMs at another site. Believe me, I don't open anything I don't know who it is from. It said I had a PM in a forum link, instead of a regular PM which made me suspicious in the first place.

gigichet
09-17-2007, 11:42 AM
thank you so much Helen for the heads up...I try not to open mail unless I know the sender but it is so very hard at times.

Andrea
09-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Oooo, bad stuff! Thanks for the warning Helen!

emst
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you Helen, I just got back on the computer this afternoon and saw this. I too try not to open anything unless I recognize the name, goes for my emails too.

dmcaruthers
09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for letting us know about it.

mosser77
09-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up! The key is not to click on any links in the PM...goes for suspicious emails, too.

bbhartley
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
You know, I got this email just yesterday - I felt there was something odd about it and never opened it; however, we have a "filter" where we preview our emails b4 they come onto our system - and my husband is a BIG believer in LOTS of protection - so don't think it would have made it thru. It looked like it was coming into my PM at a scrapbooking website (don't remember which) so I thought I could look into it further then - it never came up in any of the sites I visit. Strange - yes, these people should get a LIFE!!!

Maisie
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks, Helen.
I never click on any links, that anyone sends me.
I've been around a while, and know most of the scams.

lizziej
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
YIKES! Thanks for the warning. I probably would have just deleted the PMs anyway, since I don't know anyone on any board named "Buddha."

Yep, people like this do need to get a life.

yvonnew
09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Just for clarification, I am a moderator at the site that I got the pm from. I get a few pm's a month from new members who I don't know. If I ignored those pm's I guess it would not be very friendly for new members.

bdjeepers
09-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi - this is not a joke. This is for real.

Just read the posting here at DST about a new spammer - named Buddha, who has been found in several forums in the last 2 days - and it will shut down your pc.

http://digishoptalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=78573

Person is sending out pms to others in the forum, and there are links in the message - if opened - will infect your pc and shut it down.

So if you get a PM from someone named Buddha - here - or in any forum - don't open it.

Don't follow Buddhini's link, either! Or anyone with a man's name in caps, followed by a lower case a. They're all bad!

Helen
09-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Don't follow Buddhini's link, either! Or anyone with a man's name in caps, followed by a lower case a. They're all bad!

BARBARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you doing?
We've been SO worried about you after you told us you had had a heart attack!

You must be doing better since you posted here!!!!! Phew!!!!

Please let us know how you are doing - I've missed YOU! HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

casey4
09-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Whoever this is has been leaving these messages on several sites already. What a pain.

bdjeepers
09-22-2007, 05:43 AM
BARBARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you doing?
We've been SO worried about you after you told us you had had a heart attack!

You must be doing better since you posted here!!!!! Phew!!!!

Please let us know how you are doing - I've missed YOU! HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Sweetie! I've had a few bad days, but more good ones, so overall I can say that I'm doing fine! I have procedures ahead of me which are pretty scary, but I'll deal with it.

I can poke around online on DH's laptop, but my new drive hasn't arrived YET; (GRRRR!!!) however, it is supposed to arrive today, so then I'll be back in business with that issue after reloading my OS! I am SOOOO looking forward to being an active CT for you again, and an active member as well! That will give me great joy, which is very good for a "broken" heart, right?

thumper6423
09-22-2007, 06:18 AM
I too got this PM, but I didn't click any links. I don't click links from people I don't know. And quite honestly, Buddha just doesn't sounds like a name someone would use in a digiscrap forum. These people are so smart they're dumb in that regard.

bdjeepers
09-22-2007, 09:24 AM
For those who don't know (I didn't for a long time!), you can report a not-so-nice post by clicking on the little triangle that sits on the far right side of the orange stripe above the post. Then a moderator or admin will be notified and can get to it quickly to delete it.