PDA

View Full Version : question to designers: how to use your freebies?

petitflocondeneige
09-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Hi,

On another forum, there is currently a cluster challenge (just like Helen!). I'm really surprised that they say which kit we're supposed to use. They argue that that particular designer is OK for people to use her kits for this challenge, and that it may not be the case with other designers...

So that's my question to every designer: is it OK to use your freebies for a challenge?? if no, why??

HollyS
09-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Hiya! When the designer announces their challenge, they generally will list any kit restrictions so can't give you a blanket answer that applies to all challenges here at gds. You'll need to just double check the challenge announcements for the ones you are interested in participating in and if all else fails, post a question to the designer in that thread :)

twirlyjoy
09-17-2007, 01:42 AM
I have never heard of designers not allowing their kits to be used for challenges, unless they are challenges where the finished item will be shared amongst participants in the challenge - such as with the quick page exchange here at gds.
Obviously, the designer then has to give permission for their kit to be used as in theory, the sharing would be in breach of the TOU.

Hope that makes sense!

twirlyjoy
09-17-2007, 01:43 AM
lol Holly, we posted together! I think we both interpreted the original question differently, but hope your query is answered Petite :)

petitflocondeneige
09-17-2007, 01:46 AM
You don't answer my question... Or maybe I wasn't clear!

Would Jessica, or Debra, or Theresa or... be mad if I used their freebies to fulfill a challenge somewhere else than GDS?

petitflocondeneige
09-17-2007, 01:49 AM
lol Holly, we posted together! I think we both interpreted the original question differently, but hope your query is answered Petite :)
Hey Joy!
You answered the question the way I meant it... and you have the same answer I would have given. I'm very surprised by the explanation given on that other forum.

twirlyjoy
09-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Was the other challenge at the other site to create a cluster element and then to swap with the other participants???? If it was, then I can understand their reply, if it was just to be made for personal use, and no swap, then I don't understand their reply either!!

tborntreger
09-17-2007, 07:56 AM
You don't answer my question... Or maybe I wasn't clear!

Would Jessica, or Debra, or Theresa or... be mad if I used their freebies to fulfill a challenge somewhere else than GDS?

You are free to use my freebies for anything personal use as stated in my terms of use. So if you would like to use them to complete other challenges be my guest....so long as it is for personal use and doesn't include the redistribution of anything you have obtained of mine whether free or otherwise!! :) I think this is true of other designers here at GDS as well....but I don't want to speak for them!!

Hope this helps!! :hi:

Andrea
09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
You can use anything that is allowed in the challenge rules. You can use anything of mine for any of the challenges as long as the designer who runs the challenge allows it. I usually require use of my products for my challenges. Sometimes I will say any of my products and other times I will specify a certain product. It just depends on the rules of the challenges. That's how most of the other designers run their challenges too. Just read the requirements, and if it doesn't say you have to use a certain product or designer's products, then you can use what you want. :)

tborntreger
09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
You can use anything that is allowed in the challenge rules. You can use anything of mine for any of the challenges as long as the designer who runs the challenge allows it. I usually require use of my products for my challenges. Sometimes I will say any of my products and other times I will specify a certain product. It just depends on the rules of the challenges. That's how most of the other designers run their challenges too. Just read the requirements, and if it doesn't say you have to use a certain product or designer's products, then you can use what you want. :)

I meant to say that too!!!!

petitflocondeneige
09-17-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm happy to see that you are both OK for the use of your freebies. This case is really strange. The challenge is proposed by designer A. Designer A says: "you have to make a cluster, use this kit from designer B, she is OK for us to use her page kit".
Someone asks if we have to use this kit, or if we can use whatever we want, and designer A answers that "some designers aren't very tolerant" and she doesn't want to get into trouble. This is what I find strange, since it's free advertisement!

Andrea, I want to add (and this is my personal opinion!) that I find the sketch challenge less fun with the rule of using your products. It narrows the choice so much! And I love mixing page kits and sketches/templates from differents sources. I think it's a good way to thank both designers.
For instance, you have showed my last LO on your blog, which is good for the designer of the page kit (great thing, since I'm on her CT for this kit!), and she has showed it on her shop, which is an ad for your templates at the same time. Isn't that a win-win? :)

Helen
09-17-2007, 10:03 AM
My products, including any freebies I have given out in the past here and in the future - are ALL for your personal use to use.

This includes ALL of the freebies I have given out here in the community member section in the past (free papers, baby blocks, quilt templates)
and my 4 designer contest kits in August.

Yes, you can use my products and freebies in other challenges at other sites - if the other site's rules allow them.

If anyone uses any of my contest kits, past and future freebies, I would love a link to them so I could leave you some lovin' comments - I love seeing my products in use!