PDA

View Full Version : Gift Ideas

mosser77
09-10-2007, 07:59 AM
There was a good discussion going on the other night in the Finale Chat about making brag books for Christmas/holiday gifts. I thought maybe we could start up that conversation again, and list different options for creating/binding the books.

Any other scrapbooky gift ideas, too! (calendars, etc.) September might seem a little early to be thinking about Christmas, but it takes me that long to get organized! :)

lillypug34
09-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Terrific idea! I'm planning on giving brag books for Christmas too and will need to start working on those soon if I ever want to be finished in time!

inge
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I will be glad to have done all of my christmas-cards on time...:laugh:

tborntreger
09-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Great idea Erin!

babyofmine
09-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I am trying to do a brag book for all the "grandparents", a picture to include with our Christmas card, and an ABC book for my DH (using pic's of the boys) so he can take it with him when he's out of town (which happens a lot with his current assignment), and another of me for him. I also have all the fixin's for a calendar, just need to print it out. I also want to make a brag book for my nephew (there are 8 kids from my family, so we have a rotation going so we don't all go broke! :laugh: ) but I don't know if I'll have time. Guess I need to start using his pic's in my pages as well. :D

Helen
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Great thread Erin - I love brag books and have been making them and giving them to friends and families for several years now.

Here are some ideas on how to use them....

1. Children's gifts - great for their birthdays or special occasions.

Birthdays - I've made brag books to give them on their birthdays that include photos from the previous year as "grandma's favorite photos" of them. They laugh at some of the photos I include (good ones and bad ones) and it always makes them smile and talk about the 'good' old days. Can you imagine having a conversation with a 4 or 5 year old about the 'good old days" - lots of laughs at that age.

For one year olds - I've given brag books that include photos from birth (or in tummy of mommy) to the one year mark. A photo on every page of a person or group of people in their lives. ex: grandpa and child on one page, grandma and child, mommy and child, daddy and child, aunts, uncles, even a photo of their pet and them (if they have a pet).

ABC books are great for all ages. For two years - an ABC brag book is great. or a Numbers brag book - 1 to 10. For older kids and adults - abc books that begin a word that describes the emotion or photo. If you don't want to do 26 pages - then combine some letters on the same page.

Small kids get ones that are laminatd, punch hole in corner, and thread a ribbon or twine or ring holder. 2 pages back to back - before laminated. I use xyron laminator available in craft stores - but you can also buy packages of laminated sheets that you just open up - slip the photos in - and then cut around the photos.

Older kids get brag books to celebrate significant occasions - ballet recital, gymnastic recital, trip to zoo, any outing.

2. Family and Friends Brag Books -

Grandparents and people out of town - LOVE brag books. Can be on any subject you want to do - abc theme, numbers theme - top 10 photos from recent get-to-gether, top 10 photos of first 10 years (one for each year of grandchild), 10 reasons why we love you, etc.

Brag books can be given as presents for birthdays, wedding showers (photos of bride-to-be and/or groom growing up), baby showers (photos of parents-to-be when they were babies)

Valentines - top 10 reasons why I love you

Thanksgiving - top 10 reasons why I am thankful to have you in my life with photos of you and the person together, etc.

Military - brag books are great to send overseas - they're small, and make great gifts - these could include anything - photos of family, friends, favorite places you've shared, etc.

There are so many ways to use brag books.

SIZES and SHAPES of BRAG BOOKS:

1. 4x6 in brag books are great - standard photo size with lots of photo holders on the marketplace - you can put brag book sized photos and layouts in to pre-made pocket-sized or purse size photo albums available everywhere - grocery stores, retail stores, etc.

print the 4x6 in layout - 3 fits on my 8.5x11 in paper size printer - per page - cut apart, and put in pocket size photo book - decorate the front

2. 3x5 size brag books - reduce and/or crop layouts and print 4 pages per sheet.

3. wallet size brag books - YES - I've even done these. You know those replaceable wallet size photo or credit card vinyl inserts you can buy to add more cards to your wallet - well - they can also be used for miniature size layouts to carry around with you to show off your pages - or to give as gift for people to put in their wallets. Woudn't it be cool to have your HUSBAND carrying around in his wallet - a copy of a favorite layout you did of him or someone. When he pulls out to show someone photos of their kids - the other person will say - wow - who did that fancy stuff with the photos - and he can BRAG about your digiscrapping talents!:laugh:

4. Name Badge Holders - you get them when you attend events - keep and re-use (or buy new ones at office store). Reduce or make up layouts to fit that holder - insert, and bind several badge holders on the side together - with 3 ring binders, fancy ribbons and bows - twine, whatever is handy - and you have an INSTANT brag book.

I have a million ideas for brag books - everyone in my family LOVES them. They are easy to make - inexpensive - BUT they are cherished by everyone who gets them. They're carried around - they're portable - and they are a great way to show off your digiscrapping skills to your families - without having to carry around a full size album - :laugh:

Ok - you've heard enough from me - can you tell I LOVE THEM! (and will be making some templates and quickpages for my store - one of these days). Like I said - I've been making them for my family and friends for years and they love them - to the point now - that everyone EXPECTS one at birthdays, holidays, and special occasions - be -forewarned. :laugh:

alfenner
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks Erin for starting this! I have several brag book template sets in the works after the discussion last night -- including a full year one (each month plus calendar), a birthday one, and will be starting an artist trading card one soon (that can fit into the badge holders)............I'd be glad to make any more that you all want to suggest!!!

HollyS
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
What about doing a special qp exchange that is in these brag book sizes? 4x6 or 5x7?

mosser77
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
What about doing a special qp exchange that is in these brag book sizes? 4x6 or 5x7?

I'd definitely be up for getting in on that!! Great idea :)

Helen
09-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, I think a Brag Book 4x6 in Quick Page Exchange would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I have a baby kit - Heirloom that we could use if you are looking for suggestions - since babies are the subject matter of MANY brag books!

Or my FANCY kit would be great for a Wedding Theme Brag Book!

I haven't had one yet as a designer - so I would LOVE to sponsor one - what do you think?

Mag Henrey
09-10-2007, 10:35 PM
great idea

My sister did a brag/story book for her little boy when he was about 2 and his dad was away a lot for work. She put pictures and words like this is my dad getting ready to go to work - and listing all the things in the photo that he took to work, photos of him and his dad playing, his dad with his little brother, him wearing his father's shoes and clothes, his dad with mum with words like this is my dad with my mummy - he says he loves her very much.

She ended up laminating the pages for his little fingers and tying them together with ribbon - it was his absolute favourite book when his dad was away.

HollyS
09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes, I think a Brag Book 4x6 in Quick Page Exchange would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I have a baby kit - Heirloom that we could use if you are looking for suggestions - since babies are the subject matter of MANY brag books!

Or my FANCY kit would be great for a Wedding Theme Brag Book!

I haven't had one yet as a designer - so I would LOVE to sponsor one - what do you think?

As a matter of fact Helen, you are up next!

amysum1
09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
The brag book idea is awesome! I've also been asking family members to email photos to me so i can make a scrapbook of their families. I've done one for my sister with a bunch of pictures or her, her kids and hubby and one for my step sister too. I've been doing those at 8.5 x 11 so I can print them at home. I can't wait for the templates.....soooo excited!

lizziej
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
WOW, some awesome ideas! Thank you!