PDA

View Full Version : they're all GONE!!! boooohoooowaaaaa

babyofmine
09-06-2007, 07:36 AM
This just happened to me yesterday. You can skip the 1st paragraph and go to the beef in the 2nd paragraph. :twitcy:
I was having troubles connecting with GDS (the first and sometimes only site I connect to), but then figured out that I couldn't connect to any other site, so I called my ISP (I had to call my mom for the phone number :laugh:). After troubleshooting, they determined that my expired internet security program was the problem (DH was supposed to fix it, I thought it was fixed MONTHS ago. grrrrr!!). So I called Norton, and they told me how to uninstall it (because I wanted to install the new one). I called my ISP again, and they "pinged" my computer, and said the old firewall was still there, and to call Norton again to help me remove it from the registry. So I called Norton, and they walked me through the registry removal. I called my ISP again, and they said the ping still wasn't going as fast as it should, we tried safe mode and it was okay, so they advised me to a system restore. I did it back to 9/1, since I know my internet worked then. It didn't fix it. So then I had to do a system Recovery. Before I did it, I backed up all my photos, documents, and games onto my EHD (didn't take that long, cuz I normally put them there anyway). Then I wrote down all the programs that I need (you know, PSE, ACDSee, etc :lmao:) and did the system recovery. It worked! joyous day.
The first thing I did was get online with IE (which I detest), and download FireFox. So I install it, and sign into my email, and that's when it hit me. I forgot to save my bookmarks. It was almost midnight, and I just sat there laughing hysterically, knowing that if I stopped laughing I would start crying. :cry::twitcy:
But despite that, the story has a happy ending. I did save my bookmarks from when I switched computers, so my bookmarks are only 6 months old. :laugh: *insert heavy sigh*:head_hurts_kr:
AND, all my important programs are downloaded and installed. Well, I still need to install MS Office, but I wanted to check out the festivities here before I did that. :D
The moral of the story: Save your bookmarks!!! :hairpull:

mosser77
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Ooooohhhh!!! So sorry!

You might want to look into using ikeepbookmarks.com - it's a free site where you can...obviously...keep bookmarks :) You can access them from the website, so you don't need to be at your own computer, and it would definitely serve as a backup for times like this!!

Helen
09-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Ooooohhhh!!! So sorry!

You might want to look into using ikeepbookmarks.com - it's a free site where you can...obviously...keep bookmarks :) You can access them from the website, so you don't need to be at your own computer, and it would definitely serve as a backup for times like this!!

sorry julie - but good news is that you have 6-month old bookmarks - that's better than nothing -

and hey - what's this - a FREE site to save bookmarks - thanks for the tip - will write this down and check it out later - that would be awesome!

babyofmine
09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
before this happened, I had just started using delicious (I can never remember where the "dots" go, lol)....so this is just a KICK to my pants to actually use it. So now that's in my browser, all I have to do is click the button so save it. whew!

On a sour note, I cannot install my PSE (that I won at the GDS 6-monthiversary celebration) on this computer without the install disc....which I have lost. I thought it was installed okay, but when I tried to open it, it gave me error messages. So now I have to either use GIMP for the supreme team contest or install the trial of PSE on my old, slow computer which I don't think can handle it. :laugh:
which would you do??? :twitcy:

petitflocondeneige
09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Go Gimp!!! LOL

I've had quite an adventure too: I've bought a new hard drive (500Go, instead of 160) and decided to have a double-boot: windows and linux (ubuntu). So I've installed windows, then linux, then firefox on both, on a shared part of the hard drive, so both firefoxes would be able to access my bookmarks...
Then windows-firefox froze, I had to kill it, and there was no way for me to start ubuntu-firefox: it was always saying that it was still running. I had to create a new profile. I did think of my bookmarks, but there was nothing to do for my passwords. And... now I realize I don't know any of my logins or passwords!

babyofmine
09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
I did try to use Gimp, but it loaded differently than the tut showed, and I got really confused. I cleared a bunch of stuff off my old computer so I could install PSE, but then KattyZak (yes, our very own KattyZak! :D ) suggested that I use a friend's install disc for PSE on my Vista computer. GENIUS!!! :LAUGH: Another member here, JeckaSue, is actually my BFF here in Kentucky, so I gave her a call. I was able to use her disc and my serial number. :D
What's the moral of the story? Three brains are better than 1!! :lmao:
oh! and I don't jump around online as much as I used to, so I haven't missed my bookmarks yet. And I haven't come across a site that I didn't know the passwords *knock on wood* :D

petitflocondeneige
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I explained in the tut that there are a lot of windows when you start gimp (that is one of its flaws), but you can organize them.
Anyway, if you have PSE back, everything is alright!

I'm OK with the forums I go the most often. It's more difficult with e-shops for clothes, make-up, toys, or websites for jobs...

lizziej
09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I need to quit reading this thread, because it's scary! LOL

amysum1
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I have my bookmarked memorized. I only come here, my bank account (don't need to be bouncing checks:twitcy:) and perezhilton.com to see what Britney and Lindsey are up to. :lmao: heeeeeheeee

yvonnew
09-12-2007, 12:36 AM
I have done that before. I am so glad that everything else worked out for you.

sabined
09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Oh, I feel for you.
I have so many bookmarks on my computers I would DIE (no less) if I lost them!:cry: