PDA

View Full Version : When do your kids go back to school??

HollyS
08-07-2007, 06:22 AM
I don't know about you but while I do love my kids.......I'm getting so excited at the prospect of them going back to school! They start back up on Aug 20th here so that's only 13 more days to go!!!! :gogo: :vb_chirolp_iei: :marchmellow:

Deb reminded me about the staples commercial of all the parent's doing the "happy dance" and we just laughed!!! :laugh:

When do yours go back???

Pahina722
08-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Not soon enough!

Ours go back August 20 as well--but this is considerably later than last year, when kids went back around August 8 or 9. Florida's legislature decided, though, that school start dates had been creeping earlier and earlier for years and stopped it. So now, all Florida public schools cannot start before August 20.

My DH is ecstatic about the later date because he's a public school teacher who was previously having to go back to work in July. Since I work at the local junior college, I wasn't having to go back until late August--so I got two to three weeks of ALONE IN THE HOUSE time. Now---poof!---that's gone. I go back to work the same day my son starts school.

twirlyjoy
08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I hate it when my girls go back to school! If homeschooling was more supported over here, I think I would homeschool them!

Mine don't go back till 4/5th September, but then they didn't break up till 19th/20th July, so they get 6 1/2 weeks altogether!

Their next weeks holiday at end of October seems like ages away!!

Pahina722
08-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I suppose it might bother me more if he had less time off, but DS has been out of school since May 24. Although DH and I are both teachers, therefore theoretically off during the summer, we both teach summer classes for 12 weeks--so we actually get very little time off ourselves. Trying to work during the summer while DS is off is a strain.

Andrea
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Mine went back on July 23rd! Yeah!

Blesha
08-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Here they go back to school on August 20th. Our youngest has gone back to daycare as of yesterday, and thinks it's so good to not have summer holiday anymore. That many weeks is a very long time for the little ones.

KattyZak
08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Mine are Sept. 4th. Its always been right around Labor Day, but it was mandated that it has to be after Labor Day because of the resorts and the State Fair. We are already booked every day 'til then, w/my DS's theater production this week and captain's practice starts tomorrow and full soccer practices for both kids for high school.
It's a day w/mixed feelings because it also ends summer when they go back.

korib
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
My kids go back in 7 days, 16 hours and about 4 minutes. But, who's counting?
:twitcy:
They are very excited about it...I love that. I think they are bored of me, and my littlest one is ready for her routine...and to have mommy all to herself.

So, we may go back early, but we'll be out all of November and March...hmmm.

Maisie
08-07-2007, 07:06 PM
My baby is going to college, and we take him Thursday the 16th.
My heart is breaking. I am going to miss him so much.

HollyS
08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Aw Maisie...Deb went through that last year with her oldest Daughter so I'm sure she can relate!

Paige....sorry to hear you got cut short...i know how time to yourself is so VALUABLE!

Korib..how funny you are!!!

alfenner
08-08-2007, 06:19 AM
We've homeschooled previously, but decided it would be best of Ds to go to public school this year............I'm devastated, but I know it's the right decision for the family. Anyway, he goes to school on the 22nd.

gigichet
08-08-2007, 06:32 AM
In reading this thread it brings back so many memories---I have been there with most of you..the oh gosh I am counting the days, the I miss them so and the empty feeling of when you send your baby off to college...I am now at the stage of my grandchildren going to school or being home-schooled...so do I really feel old this morning haha...

Gwen/gigichet

ckbymommy
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
My kiddo's go back on Thursday (16th). The "baby" is going to be in kindergarten (all day), and while the heartstrings are definately tugging to see him growing up, I am really ready for them to go. My issue this year is going to be their school times ....

high school is 7:45-3:05
middle school is 8:45-3:40
elementary is 7:45-2:40

so, basically, I can't rely on my middleschooler or my highschooler to pick up the little guy because they both get out after him.

tabasco7992
08-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I home school so mine don't go anywhere. We started back to school on July 30.

Tabatha

TrishF
08-10-2007, 07:52 PM
The only child that lives with us here in Indiana is my 16 year old Amanda. School starts on the 20th of August. I'ts been quiet here all summer since she's been out visiting with her dad in Pennsylvania. We pick her up at Chicago O'Hare on Sunday the 19th. Talk about cutting it close!

jdsmom92
08-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Mine goes back Aug 23rd! No more sitting in front of the TV playing those silly video games, I keep telling myself - he could be out wandering the streets - at least I know where he is 24/7 - LOL!

BTW - I'm not that bad of a Mom - he's a straight A student with 2 AP classes, and was 28 out of 625 in his freshman class - not that I'm bragging - LOL!!!

Pahina722
08-15-2007, 07:28 AM
To all you homeschooling moms out there . . . I am so in awe! There's no way I could do that.

I'm a fulltime teacher, so you'd think that the idea of homeschooling wouldn't throw me, but after every summer with my DS, I'm thinking, "HOW do homeschool parents do this all year round???" For some reason, I can deal with high school and college students slacking or complaining about how much work I give them---but not my own child. Go figure!

babyofmine
08-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Mine went back on July 23rd! Yeah!

Andrea, are they in year-round school? I loved the one I attended when I was in 4th grade! It was Orchard Elem. in Orem (I see you're in Utah...is that school still there? :laugh: worth a shot)

My oldest boy starts school tomorrow!!! :frown: I am sooooo anxious! I know he'll have fun and meet new friends and all that, buy really! :head_hurts_kr: I mean, how am I supposed to deal with this? :twitcy:

babyofmine
08-15-2007, 05:07 PM
My kiddo's go back on Thursday (16th). The "baby" is going to be in kindergarten (all day), and while the heartstrings are definately tugging to see him growing up, I am really ready for them to go. My issue this year is going to be their school times ....

high school is 7:45-3:05
middle school is 8:45-3:40
elementary is 7:45-2:40

so, basically, I can't rely on my middleschooler or my highschooler to pick up the little guy because they both get out after him.

whoa! school starts at 7:75 for elementary????!!! They didn't do that to me until high school. :laugh: All you poor parents! Our elem. doesn't start until 9 am, so WHEW! :D

Andrea
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Andrea, are they in year-round school? I loved the one I attended when I was in 4th grade! It was Orchard Elem. in Orem (I see you're in Utah...is that school still there? :laugh: worth a shot)

My oldest boy starts school tomorrow!!! :frown: I am sooooo anxious! I know he'll have fun and meet new friends and all that, buy really! :head_hurts_kr: I mean, how am I supposed to deal with this? :twitcy:

Yes, we have year round school! I'm in Davis County. There are 1200+ kids at our elementary...the growth is unbelievable! They just built a new school that opened this year and too a few hundred kids from our school and it made no difference. I really like year round though! It's great for my kids!

I don't know about Orchard Elem. The only thing I know about Orem is that my sister lives there and I can find her house and that's about it! :laugh:

JeckaSue
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
note to self: call Julie tomorrow at lunch and make sure she's coping okay... :sad44:

Mine starts tomorrow too, but he's in 2nd grade, so we're getting used to this.

Eeek! I just realized I'm not 100% certain where my camera is. :bigeyes:

ckbymommy
08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
whoa! school starts at 7:75 for elementary????!!! They didn't do that to me until high school. :laugh: All you poor parents! Our elem. doesn't start until 9 am, so WHEW! :D

yeah - 7:45 is a bit early, but it's because his school will be getting a renovation next summer and will be letting out 20 days early - so to make up for the lost days they had to add 25 minutes to each school day. I believe it's normally from 8:05-2:45. Anyway, this works for me right now because I am temping (and hoping for a permanent postion ... so keep your fingers crossed for me) as the kitchen manager at another elemntary school and have to be there by 8 (which would be impossible if he didn't start until 8:05)

Anyway ... my kids start tomorrow, though my 10th grader has been finding any reason she can to go explore her school (which was expanded and renovated over the summer) so I think she's been up there every day this week. Well, I'm done rambling for now, :twitcy:.

ckbymommy
08-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Hope you found it :wink:.

babyofmine
08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
note to self: call Julie tomorrow at lunch and make sure she's coping okay... :sad44:

Mine starts tomorrow too, but he's in 2nd grade, so we're getting used to this.

That's a good idea!! ROFL I should be done with shopping by that time. and I think I'm gonna need it.
I charged the batteries in my camera, just to be sure. :D
Tomorrow's to-do list: take K to school. grocery shopping. Do both ASDR pages (this is my time-consuming task). pick up K from school. get dinner. Attend Melanie's chat. go through over 500 emails that I still haven't touched from vacation. :laugh:
BTW, everyone, JeckaSue is my friend here in Kentucky! :D :D

JeckaSue
08-16-2007, 04:47 AM
I found my camera! YAY! :) It wasn't really lost after all... it was on top of the entertainment center. LOL! The batteries still have juice, I'm set! :)