PDA

View Full Version : What is GRUNGE to you???

dragonflyscrapper76
08-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I have been curious as to what we all members, scrappers and designers alike...feel that grunge is? And I have mulled over whether to ask this question...but now that Round 3 is into voting...I thought it would be safe to ask it.

I can't wait to hear what you all have to say.

Andrea
08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
To me, it's messy! This is the newest kit (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&products_id=775) I just put in the store...my version of grungy!

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/images/medium/andreagold_kit_happygrunge_thumb_MED.jpg

Hope that helps!

scraptigz
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
To me grunge is anything that has that worn/used/loved velveteen rabbit kinda feel to it. It has that antiquey type feel that is a little bit banged up but at the same time extremely appealing in it's roughness.

KattyZak
08-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Beth, this is a great question. What is grunge? It surely is all the rage. I guess I think of dark, inky corners, sand papered papers, weathered elements and more.
I also love the way scrapbooking mirrors trends. Love that.
All the hip fashions have grunge...and outside of a national chain shoe store this weekend, I couldn't help but notice the stickies on their windows...huge green grungies.
Also makes me think of the distressed jeans that are all the rage.
I also believe that are pictures don't always lend themselves to grunge even though it is the rage....but it sure does beat the paper doll trend.

Marianne
08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Great question! I was thinking the same thing...
Firs of all I think og music when I hear grunge. But also worn out jeans and Converse shoes:)

Pahina722
08-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm with Kathy---when I think "grunge," I think weathered, worn. Some people interpret grunge to be dirty, which is probably where it started, but I prefer it when it's more just a broken in, comfortable feel.

twirlyjoy
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I think of grunge as being dirty and worn/torn. I have to say that grunge isn't really my style, but the kits for this round of the contest are fab - and Andrea's new kit caught my eye straight away! Maybe my tastes are changing!

korib
08-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey all...I thought I'd add my two cents to this conversation.

I love words and their meanings, and studied linguistics for some time. So, I am fascinated by the changing meaning of words. (Yep...geek through and through...or would nerd be a better word there?)

So, for me "grunge" started out with those Seattle grunge bands...wearing worn out clothes and looking a bit sloppy. But, I think grunge in terms of scrapping has shifted more towards a tad bit worn or aged (like sanding paper and inking the edges). I think grunge is shifting toward a more vintage-y look.

Okay, so there's my dissertation on grunge. LOL

gigichet
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
To add my two cents...to me grunge is the worn out look, your jeans starting to look worn and comfy, paint that is chipped or worn away, paper that has a kind of tattered on the edges look. But this is my own personal opinion..for what it is worth...haha

Gwen/gigichet

alfenner
08-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I would agree with most of what's been said here..........tattered jeans, slightly worn stuff.........BUT, I think there's a very fine line between grunge and simply messy..........jmo!

dragonflyscrapper76
08-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow, I am so glad that I asked this question, so many great opinions, and even some varried ones. Thank you all for humoring me, I was just so curious, as to what others thought.