PDA

View Full Version : hard bound books?

griest
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Has anyone here ever had a hardbound book done with your digi layouts? If so, would you recommend it? Which company? Price comparisons? I would like to do a hardbound book for a gift and do not know where to start as far as reliabilty, qualiity, customer service, etc. Can you help?

griest
08-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Nobody here has done this before?

ABitDaffy
08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, crud - I thought I responded to you - I guess you really do have to hit the Post Message button for it to post! :laugh:

I love Shutterfly! I've done several 8.5 x 11 books with them - just using their templates. Their service and quality was excellent. So, when I wanted to have my first digital scrapbook printed, I went straight to them. I got an 8 X 8 harbound album and I couldn't have been more pleased. I designed the cover, too, and I think it's my favorite part. It turned out absolutely beautiful. It was a graduation present for my niece of her senior pictures and everyone who saw it wanted a copy! I'll definitely be going back to them to print my 12 X 12 albums of Gracie's fourth year and Abbie's first.

They run $29.99 for an 8 X 8 and $54.99 for a 12 X 12 (20 layouts). They run 20% off specials pretty frequently, though, and I noticed the other day that they're offering a pre-pay option where if you agree to buy 4 in 2 years, you get 30% off.

Okay, that's all I know....

twirlyjoy
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, crud - I thought I responded to you - I guess you really do have to hit the Post Message button for it to post! :laugh:

lshmbab!!! I am so very very glad that it isn't only me that does this sort of thing!!! You wouldn't believe hoe often this happens to me - I think I do preview instead of submit!

As far as hardbound books go, I have never had one done, so can't be any help - sorry :(

griest
08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your comments. I'll try shutterfly!:hi:

Terrell
08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Perfect timing! I am so aggravated with them right now lol. I went to get a book done and since I had a ton of pics to upload I downloaded their "program" so I could upload more than 1 at a time and it has been messing me up ever since. I checked my firewall settings and everything. Everytime I hit upload pics it gets stuck on the upload/plugin.jsp page Even when I close the Firefox window, it's still running! I have to use task manager to close Firefox. I have spent the last 4 hours messing with it, what a waste of time. think I am going to try Photobuckets new service for books. I believe they are soft cover but at this point I really don't care. Ugh lol

Lori11941
08-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I have, I have! I won two free 8x8 books through Shutterfly with their Father's Day sweepstakes (one using my email and home address and the other using my neighbor's). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. The quality is so much more impressive than a printed photo in a page protector. However, much as I love Shutterfly, I'm ordering the books I'm making for MIL and my mom for Christmas from Viovio. Someone on another board had a post comparing both companies and without plagerizing her, here's a summary of what she said.

Quality was comparable with both companies.
Shutterfly offers 8" x 8" and 12" x 12"; Viovio 8.5" x 8.5" and 10" x 10" (both offer rectangular books too, I think)
Shutterfly has a faster turn around time.
Price with Viovio is significantly lower:
An 8x8 book on Shutterfly starts at $29.95 for 20 pages and then it's $1 for each additional page
An 8.5 8 8.5 book on Viovio starts at $14.95 for hard cover and $4.95 for soft cover (soft not offered with Shutterfly). Pages are 25 cents each.

I'd say, if you want to give it a try, go for a softcover with just a few pages, maybe 20, and see if you like it.

yin
08-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the tip, i'm looking around too, I did see someone's book from shutterfly on her blog (unfortunately forgot which blog now) and it was soooooo beautiful!

sillyleann
08-04-2007, 05:43 AM
I have only done MyPublisher. I was very pleased with the results overall. I think I am going to try shutterfly because I didn't know you could do an 8x8. I was designing special pages to accomodate the 9x12 MyPublisher size.