PDA

View Full Version : A Mother's Rant... Let's Vent!

Debra
07-27-2007, 06:55 AM
What's the one thing you hate to do regarding your children?

Mine happens everyday... and it's no fun...

Brushing her hair!! She fights me the minute I go for the brush..and fusses the whole time while I'm doing it... poor thing, her hair is really long (daddy's preference of course...ugh) an:sad44:d I feel so bad for her.

I find I avoid it for as long as possible.. heck, I'd rather do the dishes and clean the cat litter rather than brush this child's hair!!

So what about you? What's your one thing...?

KattyZak
07-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Deal with missing assignments that just don't go away.
But it is summer so I guess they did go away, at least temporarily.

Have you tried the untangler in the kids' section? Can't recall the name but that works really well. Also combing out her hair while in the shower with the conditioner helps, too.

amyleigh1204
07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Brushiing Caleb's teeth!!! He isn't 2 yet, and he pushes my hands away, says "Wait!", "No!", and it is such a struggle. When we are done we throw our hands in the air and yell, "Hooray!"

saraschlick
07-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Add me to the "I hate brushing my toddler's teeth" club! Jack clenches his mouth shut and fights me so bad! If anyone has a good tip, I'm open to suggestions.

ETA: Debra: I second the de-tangler for getting through the knots in your DD's hair. I nannied in college for three girls who all had LONG, CURLY hair and this stuff was amazing! We used it in the mornings after they woke up, after the swimming pool, etc. There are lots of different brands out there. Another thing we started doing with them was to braid their hair into a low ponytail every night before bed. That cut down on the knots.

mammacole1979
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I have to say I'm with Debra on the brushing hair. My daughter is 7 and won't let me get near her to do her hair. When I finally do chase her down she cries has, mini panic attacks the whole nine. I think should get an Oscar for her performance! With her being out of school for the summer it's worse because she feels she can do it herself, all that consists of is her running the brush down the back of her head a couple of times. I told her I was going to cut it all off an the dramatics that followed were worse then when I do her hair. :hairpull:

HollyS
07-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Oh....I have one!

My oldest asks me questions just to test me and see if I know the answer! I know the question is coming too!

Andrea
07-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm with Holly! My 10 year old reads National Geographic in his spare time and spends the rest of his time asking me questions about it...like I should just know the answers!

Maisie
07-27-2007, 08:49 AM
My youngest, always thought he knew everything!
It was always so frustrating because he's always right, and you're always wrong. He'd even make up some wild reasons, as to why his answer was always the right one. Argh!
Luckily, he's mostly out grown this.

Pahina722
07-27-2007, 10:04 AM
My son NEVER STOPS TALKING! He spent five years with a birth mother who totally ignored him, so perhaps that's why he has so much stored up to babble about, but still. He will ramble on about anything and everything for hours if we don't stop him.

And he can't seem to discern when adults have stopped a conversation (so that he can start asking his unending questions) or when someone is just pausing for emphasis or a breath.

He's not deliberately being rude; he's not saying mean or hurtful things; he just is ALWAYS TALKING!

curlyberli
07-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't know how this happened? I had been a single mom for ever, no men around,only been married for less than 2 years, how did I raise a bunch of men? I taught them everything they needed to know, cooking, cleaning, electronics, boy scouts, camping, firebuilding, building, organizing, fixing a tire, fixing a bike, working on cars, making things from nothing but an imagination.... even sex ed....you get the picture. :confused1:

My rave is... now they argue-debate with me about everything!!! Like I am retarded and don't know anything...They have to question every move I make, respond to every comment I make, give opinions to everything I say, react like they taught me how to do these things. Do they remember when they learned anything, it wasn't being taught by a MAN!!! Did they forget who taught them...ME!:no:

The funny thing is, they don't listen to me and they do it their own way. Wrong the first time, half way, any way but the way I showed the, the right way. Then I get the privledge of saying.... If you did it the way I have taught you the first time you wouldn't have to do it again. So that's when they become retarded and I get to redo what they have been trying to do , the right way. Or I get to say... If you would have made the choice to listen to me you wouldn't have to pay these consequences.:eek1

Then there is the other matter of being heard. My opinon does not count. I get to make no choices (that don't end up with conflict) All my things are junk around the house, They all believe I am wrong. Let's eat out. No let's eat in. I made eggs. We like pancakes. I feel run over, Either way, I feel non validated as a WOMAN!!!!

I am a former USMC Marine. That and a MOM. What more can I be...Oh yea a Child of GOd, can't forget that one. So why is it that I feel so not validated... I am tired of conflict and debating.... I want girls friend, chick flicts and chocolate, scrap booking and crafts. These things are important to being who I am today.:wub1:

Wow, I didn't realize how much this stuff bothered me!!!
I do have to laugh at one thing. I just sent my 18 year old off to USMC boot camp on tuesday. I do believe that right around now, his bald head, sore muscles and closed mouth are respecting me from afar!!!!!ROTF!!!!!HEHEHEHE
:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:
I needed that!!! Have a great day!!!*woot

ABitDaffy
07-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Here's the most recent thing that's driving me crazy about my kids:

Gracie: Her Imaginary Family. She has this whole imaginary family with a mother, father, FOUR big brothers, a baby sister, and a kitten. They all live in an imaginary town called Mahbalis in a big house with a big swimming pool. Her favorite time to talk about them is at night (when it's supposed to be bedtime) and she just goes on and on and on and on. I told DH the other night that her talking about her "other" family was about as annoying is going on a date with a guy and having him go on and on and on about his "other" girlfriend! :) Most of the time I think she's pretty cute, but sometimes I just don't want to hear about how her "other" mother does things. The pediatrician warned us that we'd have our hands full with her, and boy was he right!

Abbie: Okay, this is the thing that drives me the most crazy about her, but also one of the things I love the most about her - yeah, I know, I'm mixed up. At the end of the day, she doesn't want anyone but me - no Daddy, no grandparents, no pack-n-play, no walker, just Mama. If I try and put her down, she just follows me around, crawling as fast as her little legs will carry her, "mamamamamamama" - it warms my heart, but secretly drives me a bit bonkers. Gracie was never this way, she was all about Daddy, all the time - and of course I complained about that! :laugh:

Debra
07-27-2007, 10:59 AM
ROFLMAO!!!!!

I hear you too! Between my 27 year old and my 24 year old (both male).. I can do nothing right these days... they have their perfect lives, they want to tell me how I wrong I am about what I let Hannah do or not do (even your kids without children are experts too!)

Ughhhh!!!!

I'm liking this thread more and more!

Debra
07-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Here's the most recent thing that's driving me crazy about my kids:

Gracie: Her Imaginary Family. She has this whole imaginary family with a mother, father, FOUR big brothers, a baby sister, and a kitten. They all live in an imaginary town called Mahbalis in a big house with a big swimming pool. Her favorite time to talk about them is at night (when it's supposed to be bedtime) and she just goes on and on and on and on. I told DH the other night that her talking about her "other" family was about as annoying is going on a date with a guy and having him go on and on and on about his "other" girlfriend! :) Most of the time I think she's pretty cute, but sometimes I just don't want to hear about how her "other" mother does things. The pediatrician warned us that we'd have our hands full with her, and boy was he right!

Abbie: Okay, this is the thing that drives me the most crazy about her, but also one of the things I love the most about her - yeah, I know, I'm mixed up. At the end of the day, she doesn't want anyone but me - no Daddy, no grandparents, no pack-n-play, no walker, just Mama. If I try and put her down, she just follows me around, crawling as fast as her little legs will carry her, "mamamamamamama" - it warms my heart, but secretly drives me a bit bonkers. Gracie was never this way, she was all about Daddy, all the time - and of course I complained about that! :laugh:

Daf.. gotta be hard competing with an imaginary family!! :twitcy:

HollyS
07-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh how I've so enjoyed commiserating (spellcheck anyone???) with all of you while reading all your rants...anyone else wanna chime in???

yin
07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I have one.. probably all of you face it, but I can't stand it anymore, my boys are so untidy!! Because of space constraints, their playroom, bookshelves, and computer are all in our living room. There's always books, papers, pens, lego blocks, knex pieces, marbles, sweet wrappers, biscuit crumbs.... everywhere!!! UUGh!!! Someone tell me they will grow out of this all by themselves?? I need hope! :bigeyes:

Pahina722
07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Here's my rant for the day . . . .

My son can be so oblivious to everything that's going on around him. For example, yesterday, he was playing around in our lane while my husband and I swam laps at the pool. Every time we got near him, we'd have to slow down and make detours because he hadn't a clue what was going on around him. (Mind you, we kept reminding him, "Germon, you have to get out of our way.")At one point, I was backstroking and, while desperately trying not to run him over as he turned backflips, banged my head into the wall. When I snapped at him that he should be watching where I was, he answered, "That's okay, Mom. You didn't hit me."

Grrrrrrr . . . .

ckbymommy
07-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, in all my busy-ness, I have just been browsing the forum. Finally able to read this thread, I have a comment about almost everyone's rants ....

Brushing her hair!! She fights me the minute I go for the brush..and fusses the whole time while I'm doing it... poor thing
Oh, I miss brushing my daughters hair :frown: My oldest had such a tender head, and as soon as she started making her own decisions about hair style it went short, my second daughter is 15 and will occasionally let me help her straighten it, but I just miss brushing, playing, doing her hair (though I probably hated it at the time LOL)

Deal with missing assignments that just don't go away.
But it is summer so I guess they did go away, at least temporarily.
Thank heaven for repreives - short as they may be.

Brushiing Caleb's teeth!!! He isn't 2 yet
I let my 5 year old brush his own teeth in the mornings so he can learn, but I do it in the evenings so I know it's getting done correctly. If I don't let him spit in time, he just pushes it out of his mouth and the paste/spit gets all over my hand.

My 15 year old has always been an honors student, and thinks she knows everything (and she is actually right most of the time, but don't tell her, LOL) - she hasn't grown out of it, btw

Gracie: Her Imaginary Family.

Abbie: Okay, this is the thing that drives me the most crazy about her, but also one of the things I love the most about her - yeah, I know, I'm mixed up. At the end of the day, she doesn't want anyone but me - no Daddy, no grandparents, no pack-n-play, no walker, just Mama.
My son's imaginary friends are all ghosts. He used to have monsters, too, but they all moved away. He started with them at about 3 - to scare away the scary monsters, and the ghosts have become playmates and scapegoats. At first we had to constantly wait for Chris to do everything for them (sit in the car until Chris buckled every available seatbelt so they would be secure; wait for dinner so he could feed the ghosts; wait at the library so he could help them find invisible books; etc) Now they're all 'old enough' to 'do those things for themselves' :twitcy:

I have one.. probably all of you face it, but I can't stand it anymore, my boys are so untidy!! :bigeyes:
Yeah, we have major space restraints ourselves, and I can't walk through my house without finding an armful of things to pick up and put away. Though with teens delegation helps alot, I just make each kid responsible for certain areas each week, and it has helped quite a bit.

KattyZak
07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Melanie, are you telling us there is hope? I sure hope so.
Add to my vent, that sounds somewhat familiar, is the know it all kid. My DS, at 13, has always been extremely bright [but the grades don't show it, {my 1st post was missing assignments}] but will not be guided as far as the social graces and more. Last week I addressed the need for better deodorant application and it fell on deaf ears [of course] and tonight I brought it up again and it didn't go over so well. Sheeessshhhh! Evidently he wants to hear it from his Dad and not me.
I sure hope this one doesn't want to walk the wild side because it will be pure hell.

babyofmine
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
my 5-yo has to have me watch everything he does, like play with a toy car, make it go, etc.

and my 3-yo gets offended easily (this is new) and it's very frustrating for me, because then I have to either ignore his piteous cries, or calm him down. :rolling eyes:

they're still the best kids ever! :laugh:

DivaDee
07-31-2007, 04:52 AM
It was always so frustrating because he's always right, and you're always wrong. He'd even make up some wild reasons, as to why his answer was always the right one. Argh!

My 29 y/o has always been like this....and it hasn't gotten any better with age!!!:confused1:

bdjeepers
08-06-2007, 06:54 AM
My only complaint is that at my age, I don't think I'll ever catch up with scrapping all the photos I have. I inherited all my parents pictures, scanned all those of an aunt, (many are over a hundred years old) have hundreds of my own from nearly 41 years of marriage, and I just got OVER 3,000 (no, that isn't a typo!) new pictures from 2 of my kids! I am going to wear out how many scanners before I get all that done? Thank heavens for digital photos that won't require scanning!