PDA

View Full Version : A most "wonderful" adventure?

Maisie
07-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Hey ladies.

I've been gone for a few days. Took DS to college orientation, to VA TECH.
Now DH was supposed to go with us, but at the last minute some of his bosses started to whine, about so many people taking off at the same time.
So he decided to stay home. So off DS and I went. It's a 4 and 1/2 drive from where we live. About 3 hours into the drive, my oil light went off. We stopped at the next exit and added a quart of oil, grabbed some lunch, and hit the road, again. About 2 minutes of driving the oil alarm went off again. I mean this is a loud annoying bleeping sound. So I have to drive 20 miles to the next exit. We buy another quart of oil, and add it. Now it's super full. Well, now I get halfway down the ramp re-entering the interstate. The alarm goes off. By this time we are on the edge of screaming bloodly murder. We decide to stop and let the car cool down, so we stop at a rest area, several more miles down the road, and sit for a half hour.
We get back in, start the engine, and we didn't even get out of the parking lot, you guessed it. The alarm goes off. I figure crap, we only have an hour to go, and I know there is plenty of oil in the engine. So I am just going to push it.
Well... about 10 minutes down the road, the engine starts to make a loud grinding noise. I have no choice, I have to pull off and get the car looked at.
We limp to the next exit, with our blinkers on.
I drive very slowly off at the next exit, and yea!!! I see a repair garage.
But yes, you guessed it, it's 5:10, and the mechanic is gone for the day.
The person behind the counter tells me there is another place down the road a few miles. So off we go... barely moving, down the road. We ger down the to the place and it's an Auto Parts store!!! There are no mechanics there!
I just break down and start crying. I have reservations at Blacksburg, but can't get there.
I call the husband, he says, leave the car, rent a room and settle in he's on the way. So he drives 3 hours, to meet up from us. The next day he stays with my car, while I drive DS to his orientation. DH has the car towed to the closest VW place, which is an hour and a half away. Big $$$ We figure the car is dead. The engine frozen from no oil. So I was so surprised when they said the engine is fine. It's just the oil pump. So we have it fixed, More Big $$$
Lots of driving back and forth. A big sweaty mess. Not so much fun for anyone.
But when we left yesterday to drive home (with 2 cars) DS was all set for college. All the classes he wanted, and so totally happy. That made everything worth it.

Now this is a condensed version. LOL But this is a typical day in my life.
One crisis after another. LOL
I can laugh now. But it's been the longest 3 days of my life. Each day felt like a week.
Sorry for the long story. I just had to share.

Andrea
07-21-2007, 11:10 AM
It is amazing what life throws at you! That's how I feel lately. I think that I can't deal with one more stressful life event and sure enough something else gets added to the mix! I find myself on bed rest this last week, with puking kids, a bunch of doctors appts (that I can't find sitters for because the kids are sick), husband is working 12 hour days, and my 4 year old hides and we have to call the police! Every time I ask what else can happen, something does! We'll have to stick together here at GDS and all get some support! I'm so glad to hear that you are getting your son to college after all of the loan hassles! Somehow, things work out, but its great to know that other people have this chaos too! :wink:

Helen
07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
OH MY!!!! Both of you have had a rough week - I don't feel so bad now after the week I've had (nothing like yours).

Maisie and Andrea - both of you need a vacation from everything! Hope your next week is better than the last one!

Maisie
07-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh Andrea,
I am so sorry!!! I hope the family is feeling better soon.

Another goodie... I was just checking the camera, for the pics I took at VA Tech. They're gone. DS's batteries died in his gameboy, so I told him to take mine fron the camera. When I went to put new batteries in, I saw he had popped the memory stick. *sigh* I had such good pics too!!!

HollyS
07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh geez ladies...I can comiserate (sp?) with you all too just with the site stuff the past few weeks. Hang in there! Brighter times are a coming!

Andrea
07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Mary, if it makes you feel better...when I graduated from college with my first degree, we took all of these pictures (it was a 35mm camera because that was a long time ago) and I was so excited. The camera was flashing and winding film and everything. I realized later that there was no film in the camera! I don't know how that one escaped us!

Andrea
07-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Sometimes...it's like a wave Holly! You know something stressful is headed your way and you can't stop it! :twitcy:

Debra
07-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm so sorry you had all that car trouble. It's such a horrible pain to deal with, especially when you're on an actual road trip! So glad DS is all set for college and now you can have a little peace of mind about what direction life is going for atleast a few months :)

Andrea, I wish I lived closer so I could watch the munchkins for you! I'm so sorry life keeps throwing so much at you all at once!

Hugs Hugs to everyone!!

gigichet
07-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Boy Ladies it has to get better for you both...sorry that you had car trouble but look at it this way a new engine is way more expensive then an oil pump. So Mary it did end up for the best.

And Andrea sorry that you are having so many problems and the best way to think of this is that is last week...this is a new one so this one will be good...

{{{{{hugs}}}}} to you both and it will get better...

Gwen

Maisie
07-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Your right Andrea!
It's like a wave. And then it rolls you! LOL
Next week has got to be better right???

twirlyjoy
07-22-2007, 12:56 AM
oh no!! You have both had such awful times recently - hope things settle down for you both real soon :)