PDA

View Full Version : New additions to our family...HELP?!?!?

HollyS
07-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Oh my gosh, my middle son came flying in our room to announce his new hamster aka "Sparky" had a baby! Much to our surprise we did not have a male but rather a female. Who was obviously pregnant we we got him ... ooops, her!

Since that announcement a few minutes ago, mama had another little one :)

Her cage has a loft with a ladder down to the main floor. In the loft she has a little home with an opening but there's not much bedding up there.

So if any of you out there have had baby hamsters...any hints, clues? How many did she have? How do we get water to the babies? What should we look out for? We know not to touch them or to mess with the cage for a couple of weeks.

HELP ?!?!?!?!

HollyS
07-15-2007, 01:11 PM
And now we have another one! I'm just freaking cuz the babies keep falling out of the house and onto the loft area which has nothing but a drop to the bottom floor :( One has already fallen but I made sure there was lots of cushion for the landing and it was ok.

babyofmine
07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I would suggest moving the bed to the bottom floor, if possible. You don't want the wee ones falling down that ladder... (and I just read your 2nd post)...so you don't want them falling again. :wink:
If Mama Sparky will let you take her out, do so (so she doesn't bite you), and then move the babies, without touching them (we had to do this once, and the one baby that was touched was shunned, it was very sad), try scooping some bedding along with them, maybe gloved hands. And then mama will take care of the rest! :D She will nurse them, so make sure she has plenty of food, but take care that the water doesn't drip on its own, as that will get the bedding wet (listen to me, "take care"...I sound like a wet-nurse!:wub1:) but you probably know that. Let us know how they're doing!:vb_chirolp_iei: