PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Computing - WOW!

bdjeepers
07-13-2007, 07:56 AM
I thought you'd like to see a sneak peek as to where PC's are headed ala Bill Gates.... talk about cool!

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/ (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/)

Our new coffee-table albums, ladies! HOWVER, I will never give up the notion of printed media, no matter what they say!

ABitDaffy
07-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Amazing! I'm not giving up my printed stuff either, but wouldn't it be cool to have something like this in your living room - no worries about getting little kid finger prints all over it. But $5000 - $10000 is a bit steep....although I read in 3-5 years the price should drop to a consumer level...

Thanks for sharing that Barbara! I love gadets!

twirlyjoy
07-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I think it looks fab - but if you saw the state of my computer desk, you would know why I would hesitate to get one (thats even if I could afford one which I most definitely cannot!!!) - I know I would end up with bits of paper and junk all over it - oh yeah, and of course, the number of drinks that would get spilt on it!!

bdjeepers
07-13-2007, 08:32 AM
I think it looks fab - but if you saw the state of my computer desk, you would know why I would hesitate to get one (thats even if I could afford one which I most definitely cannot!!!) - I know I would end up with bits of paper and junk all over it - oh yeah, and of course, the number of drinks that would get spilt on it!!

No way I could afford it, either, so when I am too old to have my own home, I'm going to go live with my oldest DS, the family's pro geek, and play with the one I know he'll have eventually! LOL!

:biggrin: There's more information about how its done and what it will do here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/touch-me/microsoft-surface-confirmed-touch+sensitive-10k-minority-report-table-264338.php

Helen
07-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Barbara for the link - cool technology - but I'm not giving up my coffee table - you would think there would be all kinds of fingerprints over this.
I see 2 areas benefitting from this.

1. companies who make screen cleaning stuff - from cleaning all the fingerprints

and

2. chiropractors and doctors from all the increased neck problems from people bending over and using it too much - it's not natural to bend the head down and look at something like that for a very long time - I need to look at my computer screen straight on - or my back and neck hurts

:laugh::laugh:

bdjeepers
07-13-2007, 11:17 AM
What you see here is for commercial applications like hotels and restaurants. There will be desktop versions for the home and office workers. I'm already seeing very similar ideas being used on things like the newest cell phones. Same back/neck problems here, too, Helen! I got a new chair a couple of days ago that fits little me instead of the big high-back office chair I had, which fits 6' 4" 200+ lb. DH! I also have to use a slide-under keyboard shelf for my shoulders. If I get any smaller I'll just disappear!

Pahina722
07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
DH saw info on this earlier (he's working on his Ed.D. in distance education) and we both thought that this is what we'll be seeing in schools and workplaces much sooner than in our homes. It looks really cool--except that I don't have an IPod, a cellphone, or a blackberry, so apparently the only thing I'd interface with my coolio $$$$ computer would be my camera! I'm with Helen, too. I already have neck problems because I read so much with my head tilted down. On the other hand, we could avoid the cramps in our hands from mouse-clicking, right?

babyofmine
07-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I love that screen! Now, if the home version is flat against the wall, like in the movie Paycheck, then I'm all for that! :D very cool.

yvonnew
07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Oh my goodness this is so cool.