PDA

View Full Version : VISTA and Photoshop elements actions

tborntreger
07-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I upgraded to Vist a few weeks ago and am just now getting around installing my actions. This is what I've done. C>program data>Adobe>photoshop Elements>5.0>photo creations>special effects>photo effects.

They will not load in photoshop. I thought maybe I needed to delet the cache folder as I did with XP but I can't seem to find a cache folder.

Can anyone please help me?:confused1:
Thanks,
Theresa

alfenner
07-09-2007, 11:35 AM
T - I was thinking you couldn't use actions in elements?

alfenner
07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
And of course I'm wrong -- at least atomic cupcake has elements actions anyway

Part I -- Installation

A. Installation for PC Users for Elements 3.0 or 4.0

1. Close Elements if it is running.

2. Copy the entire "atomic_cupcake_glossstamp" folder to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Previews\Effects folder.

3. Open the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Previews\Cache\Effects Cache folder.

4. Delete these 3 files "CategoryCache.che", "ListCache.che", "ThumbNailCache.che" (these are a list of what you already have -- when you delete them it resets the list and adds the new effect you just installed.)

C. Installation for PC Users for Elements 5.0

1. Close Elements if it is running.

2. Copy the entire "atomic_cupcake_glossstamp" folder to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\5.0\Photo Creations\special effects\photo effects folder. This folder is usually hidden on most computers, so you'll have to type the address in.

3. Inside the folder are two files: atomic_cupcake_glossstamp.psd and atomic_cupcake_glossstamp.atn. Rename the atomic_cupcake_glossstamp.psd file to thumbs.psd (This is required because old versions wanted the icon named the SAME as the file, PSE 5.0 wants it named "thumbs".)

Part II -- Using the Action

1. Open the image you would like Glossy Paint.

2. Select the layer you want to look Glossy Paint, it can be a text layer, a custom shape, etc. If it is a custom shape layer, you should right click on it's name in the layer's pallette and simplify it.

3. a. In Elements 3.0 and 4.0: Go to your "Styles and Effects" window and set it to show "Effects" and "All". You should see the icon for the effect. It looks like part of a blue Glossy Paint letter and has the Atomic Cupcake logo on it.
b. In Elements 5.0: Click the "Apply Effects" button under "Artwork and Effects". Change the dropdown menu to "All". You should see the icon for the effect. It looks like part of a blue Glossy Paint letter and has the Atomic Cupcake logo on it.

4. Double click it.

The Glossy Paint version will be created in a new document -- leaving your original item in it's original condition.

Those are the instructions they give for their newest action...........hth!

tborntreger
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
That's how I installed them when I was running XP. Vista is different. I followed the vista instructions from PanosFx and another place and they didn't load! This is once again, my luck!

alfenner
07-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Dang! Sorry, I was hoping that would help! Have you googled it?

tborntreger
07-09-2007, 03:28 PM
DH to the rescue!! He fixed my action problem!!

babyofmine
07-09-2007, 07:25 PM
How did he do it?? I also have Elements and Vista!! :D

bdjeepers
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't know about fixes, but Elements 5 I think has a Vista upgrade.

tborntreger
07-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Put your actions here:
C:>program Data>Adobe>Photoshope Elements>5.0>Photo Creations>Special Effects>Photo Effects

Then launch PS Elements 5.0 and while your launching it you MUST hold the shift bar down the entire time from the time you click on it to open the program until the action library is fully rebuilt!

I wasn't holding the shift key at the time when I was having trouble but my DH read the tutorial again and obviously read it clearer than I did! Good luck.

tborntreger
07-10-2007, 09:05 AM
oh yeah, you can also download a vista patch for elements from the adobe website. I am honestly not sure that had anything to do with it though. I did install the patch.

KattyZak
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I did the Adobe e-seminar today which i missed most of because the phone was ringing.
Elements has a 5.02 updater for Vista.

bdjeepers
07-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Theresa, for those instructions. I copied and pasted them into a text file so I'll know when I get Vista. Hopefully soon!

babyofmine
07-10-2007, 08:32 PM
KattyZak, I also attended that webinar! I got TONS of shortcuts from it, and learned a LOT about how to edit photos. I did find the technical glitch kinda funny. :laugh:
Theresa, thank you sooooooo much for letting us know where to put them. yay! :D