PDA

View Full Version : Saving Digital Downloads

MnMommy2
07-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Ok, call me stupid! LOL.
About a week ago, I burned my downloaded digi files to a CD. Checked the CD and saw the file folders and thought it was good to go and deleted them from my hard drive. Well, I went to open the folders and there was nothing in them, no files, nothing.
Today I try to burn a cd of the files I have bought and freebies I have collected and it has happened again. No I haven't deleted the files from my computer yet, but why isn't the files saving to a cd? What am I doing wrong? I really like Digi Scrapping, but feel very embarassed that I don't know what I am doing wrong... Can anyone help a newbie out? I have a very old computer/low memory on my hard drive so I am getting a low virtual memory error so I thought I would burn the downloads to a cd and use them as I need them, but I can't get it to work right...getting very frustrated here.... please help!

alfenner
07-07-2007, 12:04 PM
YIKES! I'll do my best to help you out.........what program are you using to burn the discs? Does it have an option to burn data, music, video, etc? I use Nero express and burn as a data disc

bdjeepers
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Try re-booting to clear out the virtual memory and see if you can burn. If not, I'd suspect a hardware problem with your burner. Mine quit on me a while back and I had to replace it. If you're using Windows built-in program, it's a yuck-a-doo; Amy's right on about Nero. Good stuff!

:goodluck:

MnMommy2
07-07-2007, 12:09 PM
hmmm. i don't think i have a "program" uh oh. I am just inserting a new cd rom disk, transfering my files to the E Drive and hit burn files to cd. It works fine when I save photos/files to a cd, so I thought it would work for my Digi folders too.

I have a Compaq 5000 Series computer, it is like from 2000 ior 2001. Should I try to put my files on a jump drive and put them on my laptop (new gateway) and try to burn a cd? I am afraid of my laptop for some reason, dunno why!

Pahina722
07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Your new Gateway laptop should have come with CD burning software installed on it. That's what I'd use. There's a good chance that a 'puter from 2000 or 2001 might not have the software installed. Also the new laptop probably has more memory in the first place so that you wouldn't get the memory errors while working on your scrapbooking.

grammy201
07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm not a pro at this either but someone told me that you need to have some room on your hard drive in order to burn files. Seeing you said you are getting a message about your memory why don't you try to just burn one small file; if it burns ok to your cd then you know it's not your burner but in fact a memory shortage problem. Hope this helps.

Lynn

MnMommy2
07-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your help ladies! I saved the files to my jump drive and then was able to burn a cd from my laptop. I should just work from my laptop since it is much faster and has memory, I just need to download all my photo programs to the laptop. I just feel more compfortable working on my main computer, dunno why.

Doro
07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I have all my Foto's and kits on an external non removable disk with 300 GB. So have I always everything available, and my computer is not strained.:wink:

yin
07-14-2007, 04:18 AM
yeah, my husband finally had to buy me an external hard drive too, he went for 500 GB as it was on sale, and because he thinks I will blow that too in no time!! Haha!!

Debra
07-18-2007, 08:29 AM
This sounds good..but just not to really scare you... my ehd with all my "stuff" on it went capoot! I have it in for repair to try and recover my data but... ughhh, I really thought those were reliable, now they are saying they have recovered some of the date but not all... Guess we need a back up of our back up! :eek1

bdjeepers
07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I have two external drives, (500 Gig each) so I "keep and do" on one, and periodically I will zip those folders and store them on the other, but I have got to start burning them to dvd, too. I keep my C drive for running proggys alone, saving all the empty space for vm. My second internal drive is so full it burps! Heaven help the addicted such as we!

alybel
12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
hmmm, might be time to invest in an external hard drive I think... reading everyones replies on here it woudl make a lot of sense, and wouldn't fill the computer up :)

TSavoie11
12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm glad I saw this post because I'm looking into getting an external hard drive myself. Any suggestions as to which brand? The one I'm looking into is a 250 GB Seagate.

KattyZak
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I have a 300 or maybe its a 500 GB Seagate and for a few things I have read, I might choose another brand, but I am also kind of clueless with the whole techie stuff.

Helen
12-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Seagates are excellent EHD...and the brand "My Book" is made by same company - from what I've been told. I have both - and they are both excellent. Only 2 I know.

Office Depot by me has the My Books on sale -too. Though you can probably find all of them on sale somewhere right now - after Christmas.

emst
12-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I have an external drive and they are awesome as long as your husband doesn't drop it on the floor and you then lose everything, thankfully he had backed everything up two days prior to the drop on to his computer so I didn't lose much. Don't know what brand my new one is because I forgot it in VA while visting my daughters for Christmas. Thankfully will get it back on Sunday when we bring Madeline back home.

anneofalamo
01-02-2008, 06:23 AM
I too have an external drive...love it, the book! Very easy to make new folders and stay organized...I am drooling to purchase the ADcSee organizer program. I like the ability to have everything on my external, than I can work on laptop or main puter. I too back all onto CD's every other month. I would cry buckets to lose one file!! lol

amandamoo
05-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Okay! I have a Lacie ehd, and it has been great. Then, just the other day (with no other problems) I opened to find a large folder completely missing. I can't remember, but it could be the first thing I put on the ehd. Is it possible that the thing ran out of space and started dumping the early stuff? What is going on? Help!

mrs.mordecai
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I've been thinking about getting an external hard drive, too: I've been having to weed through my scrapping stuff periodically to keep our disk from overflowing. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem!