PDA

View Full Version : Growing Up!

twirlyjoy
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Ok, its official! I am now a 'real grown-up'! I know, at 34, I most definitely should be, but I've never really felt it till today (well, I thought I had but not quite like today!!)!

Today, in our town's schools, its Transfer Day which means that all of the kids get to go to their new schools/classes which they will be starting at in September. Part of the reason that I am feeling 'grown-up' is that my eldest dd Emi, who is very nearly 11, has gone into Year 7, meaning that she has gone to Secondary School today! (Incidentally, its the same secondary school that I went to!!) The other part of the reason is that Lucie, my youngest, age 7, is going into Year 3, meaning that she spends her day at Junior School - I will no longer have a child at Infant School! Alice, my middle dd, aged very nearly 10, is going into Year 6, meaning that she is now the eldest year group in her school - and has to be responsible for looking after the younger ones!

Just for nosiness' sake, what was it that made you suddenly feel 'grown up'!

wildstorm
07-06-2007, 01:52 AM
It is very exciting when your children step up to the big grades. Maybe you will laugh but I felt mostly all grown up when my first grand child was born. I was 40 when she was born and I am now only as of April 50 years old. Still feel and look young. Have now got my 5th grandchild on the way. Still go for rides with my hubby on our Harley. Some one once said" growing old is manatory, growing up is optional"

CrayonQueen
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Oh I like that quote wildstorm!! I'll have to remember that........as for me, I still don't really feel "grown up".....lol who knows when that'll be!! :lmao:

bdjeepers
07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I think I finally felt grown up when I looked at my three sons the last time were were all together, and realized that they are all completely on their own, making all their own decisions, and handling their lives all by themselves. They lead good, responsible lives, help each other and make wise choices, so my job is done, and now I get to enjoy the fabulous rewards of grandparenthood! In so many ways this is the best part of my life; I am content.

Maisie
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Aw.. Joy...
I know how you feel. My last is going off to college this fall. So... I've done my job. the older two have families of their own, and now the youngest will be on his own for the first time.
I know I'll be crying a river when the time comes.

Pahina722
07-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Two different things did it/are doing it for me . . .

First, I teach high school and college. When I realized that all my high school students had been BORN after I graduated from college, I began to get the clue. Then, when all my college students started reaching that same milestone for me {sigh}, well, it wasn't a happy-making thing.

The other thing . . . . silver hairs! ACK! Until I hit 45, I didn't have any, but now, only two years later, they're everywhere. I'm about to have to quit highlighting my hair and turn to coloring it all to hide the lovely silver shiners.