PDA

View Full Version : OMG the heat!

Marcie
07-07-2012, 11:43 AM
It's 108 here in central pa totally unheard of. Debra are you getting this weather too? Plus my HVAC system as been down since the winter time. I have a coal stove in the winter so no biggie and up till Thursday I just left my windows open and it has not been that bad. Thursday afternoon, I went to the one room that has a tiny window unit and me and kids hung out there. We did a lot of reading and playing in the cool weather. We have been making good use of our pool, but the last 3 days even that was not helping. Our pool temp is at 90 so really not refreshing anymore. Daddy finally figured out what was wrong with it and after 40 bucks in parts our AC is running today! :bow2me: Yippee!! I however have been cleaning because who wanted to do it in that heat? Certainly not me! I've vaccuumed, dusted, and steamed cleaned. I have one bathroom to go plus one toilet (I need a break and came here, lol).

I started laundry this morning and I'm hanging it out. Not running a dryer at all. I did the sheets first and by the time the next load was done in the washer, the sheets were dry :eek1 Now that is some heat wave! I just put out my hubby's jeans and we shall see how that goes. All that's left is my towels and laundry is done!

Oh and 2 weeks ago my pond, I'll have to post the layout of it, was full of rain water and tadpoles. On Wednesday night, we rescued the tadpoles in the 2 foot deep water and have them in a bucket under our porch. This morning the 3 foot section was dry too. Gotta dig out some more tadpoles. The ones that are now froggies are hiding in the shade and they are only as big as my pinkie nail. THey are tiny!

Right now I'm glad my vacation is not at the beach, I need a vacation from the excess heat and I love summer! Which I leave for on Monday so I'll see everyone in a week!

Amanda
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Marcie, your post made me laugh and nod "yes" alot! We have had that heat for a week. UGH! We expect heat in July and August in the South, but this is rare. Last two years we didn't have it.
We finally figured out that putting fabric up in the doorway between the kitchen and bedroom forces the cool air from the kitchen AC into the L.R. Soooo much better. Before thqt we spent four days sweating in our living room. The house is an old historic home, so no central air.
El Niņo is also on the way, so we look to see hurricanes. Thankfully we are away from the coast now, so not to worry. Been through 3 major hurricanes though, and they are not fun. The worst was not in the Carolinas but in Honduras, Central America.
We need rain in so many places. Take care, Marcie, and everyone - heat exhaustion happens very quickly!http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/artfulpioneer/My%20smileys/summer-animated-animation-weather-smiley-emoticon-000399-large.gif

mama4bears
07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
We are in our 12th day of triple digit heat! http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/artfulpioneer/My%20smileys/summer-animated-animation-weather-smiley-emoticon-000399-large.gif I agree-this IS NOT fun!

britnkaysmemaw2
07-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Yep, heat going on here in Ohio too. One of our ST members (tweederbug) has been without power since June 29th when the awful storms came thru the midwest. She hopes to have power back according to her electric company, by the 8th! I can't imagine!!!!!
We lost power here for 6 hours, but luckily that was on Sunday when the storms cam thru a second time, and the temps cooled down into the 70's for a little while.
My hubby says it has been excessively hot in St. Louis area too. So glad all this is breaking tomorrow!

Stay cool everyone!

Art for Scrapbooking
07-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I am feeling for you all. It is winter here and our days are around 20c [70f] Our summers average around 90 and if it goes over that I hibernate to a small study with a little window aircon or the pool lol. We occasionally get up over the hundreds but not for too many days. It is the humidity combined with those temps that are the worst. Our summer humidity is around 70% or more.

Stay cool. My tip for the worst days if you cant stand it is have a cold shower in your bathers and leave them on even with a light shirt/dress over and wet that too and try and find a breezy place to sit. Drink lots and remember a car even with the windows down slightly will get WAY hotter then the outside temp so never leave a child or animal in a car even for a short time. We see cases every summer where deaths occur and sadly it has even been children.

Hope to hear you get cool soon.

Blackthorne
07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
It was really interesting to read your reports about the weather
situation. Have seen something about it on TV just a little while
ago also about the lose of power.
Thanksgod that has not happened here yet.

Our wheater is allmost strange too. We are supposed to have
summer but the 2nd year in a row weīve allmost everything
else than that.
When it finally gets warmer sometimes it is a very humid heat
which causes heavy thunderstorms/floodings both in Germany
and Austria and killed people when they tried to find shelter.

Debra
07-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Oh my goodness, the heat here is incredible too.. we're all in the house running the ac like crazy. Helga, I'm so sorry for the terrible weather occurances you all have had too!

Hope everyone is staying cool and taking it easy... Hope you have a great vacation Marcie..and good for you for saving the tadpoles!

Marcie
07-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I think we are all in the same heat wave and we are so not used to it. I think Florida has our weather though. My friend Michi says its cool around 80ish!!! huh shouldn't we all be having that weather? Me thinks someone moved the equator on us as a joke. Although I heard that FL does not have the humidity we do, and that what's really hard.

I do hope we all stay cool and avoid heat strokes. ANd the tadpoles are alive and well still. They are thriving under my deck!

El Nino? Can he stay away?

That is so sad what is happening across the way. Let's hope this summer is different for you all.

Art for Scrapbooking, I think we'd all love 70 right now. This past winter we had days below 0 Fahinheight ( not sure what that is in C) so to go from that to 100+ is almost toxic. THen add in the humity which today was at 100%, and your going to melt instantly!

Precepts and Promises
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh, I am feeling for you all... I HATE the heat. It's been great here in Long Beach, so I am not complaining AT ALL. I will need your sympathies for the next earthquake, however... :-)

daybreakscraps
07-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Heat oh yes. :3: we have the heat here in Western Ky too. I feel so bad for the ones who have to work outside in it. I'm going through hot flashes anyway so I sweat whether it's hot or not. Luckily at the day job I have 2 fans blowing on me plus the a/c. Here at home it isn't so nice, our central unit has been out since 2004 and DH is not too keen on replacing it (he'd rather not have a/c at all) so we are making due with window units (I try to explain to him it would be more energy efficient and cheaper in the long run to replace the central) but the window units don't keep up with the heat when it gets over 95 or so. oh well, it'll be cooler next week I've heard...only in the 90s haha, it will feel like Antartica!

donakat
07-08-2012, 01:15 AM
So sorry the weather is so bad for all of you. I live in Paradise, so I hate to even say what our weather is like, for fear of heat crazed ladies coming after me with sharp knives! I will, however, experience plenty of the mucky hot stuff when I visit both Mississippi and DC in August. How stupid is that??? I should just stay where I am and have everyone come here!

PattyB
07-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Here is Nebraska, we're not escaping any of the heat either, triple digits every day for about a week so far. This makes veggy gardening a challenge! We do our chores out there early in the morning, and then start the sprinkler after we're done. We try to only go out in the afternoon to move the sprinkler to it's next position. Hopefull soon we'll get some rain and relief from this heat and humidity. Stay cool all!

techie girl
07-08-2012, 09:38 AM
We here in the mountains of Virginia have been in the hign 90's.Something unheard of here in our area.One thing we got going for us is there has been rain in the storms,enough to keep the grass green and the garden thriving.,but the humidity has been unreal.I really feel for those without power.I hope you get it back on soon.Stay safe everyone.

Darlene Currie
07-08-2012, 10:53 AM
That is a super long time to go without power. My freezer full of tons of stuff would be the thing I'd worry about.

Summer just arrived here on the west coast of Canada. We had such an unseasonably cool Spring we were all calling the month of June here JUNUARY! But now the temps are back to normal - it's 25 here right now and I can handle that. But you guys in the mid-west and eastern seaboards - you have my sympathy. We've been seeing it all on the news lately!

Blackthorne
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Thank you for your sympathy, Debra.:rolleyes1:
I am really glad that I donīt live in the mountains
anymore.You better respect the nature there or
you will get in troubles.
As Dawn said : ... "I sweat whether it's hot or not"
Thatīs the same with me - So I prefer the cooler
70īs with some fresh breezes between.

Anyway I hope that the heatwave in the US will
soon be history and the power will work again.:goodluck:

Amanda
07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
After reading through both pages, one realizes that any degree of suffering is something all of humanity shares, and the beauty is released through compassion. :D
We have storms now, but for the first time in two weeks, we can open our front door and let fresh air in from the front porch. YEA!!!! With a pent up husband and a really odorful big cat, that is sooooo great. Note the small things- they all add up to a pile of goodness:love-smiley-011:

Els AW
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Terrible that heatwave!
And without power ... no computer? :eek1

But we would be pleased when you sent some heat to Holland, we can surely use some!
It is rather cold and very rainy out here, not like a (real) summer at all!

Andrea
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
We're feeling it here too. It was 102 today which is hot for Utah. The kids have been in the pool for 3 solid days because you can't do anything else outside.

Amanda
07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Heat broke this evening- hope it isn't returning. A pool--drool!!! The only pool in our yard is the pool of sweat from just taking out the trash, haha! Our neighbors have one they said we can use, but we have to wait for the knee incision to heal, then S-P-L-A-S-H!

Andrea
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
We just have one of those above ground metal frame pools and it has been worth every penny! So glad for the AC!

Heat broke this evening- hope it isn't returning. A pool--drool!!! The only pool in our yard is the pool of sweat from just taking out the trash, haha! Our neighbors have one they said we can use, but we have to wait for the knee incision to heal, then S-P-L-A-S-H!

mama4bears
07-11-2012, 01:03 PM
We finally got a little break this week and we are in the middle to upper 90's in Kansas! DS and his family are coming Friday from Mississippi for our 40th Wedding Anniversary celebration. So glad it is supposed to be in the 90's through the weekend.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/mama4bears/EXTRAS/scorcher.gif I'm thinking that this looks like a fun way to stay cool! http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/mama4bears/EXTRAS/elephant.gif