PDA

View Full Version : What ELSE can you make into an album?

alfenner
06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
I was just searching on assembling the CD album I"m already in the process of making (lol) and found this! CRAZY!!!

http://scrapability.squarespace.com/mini-books-and-albums

twirlyjoy
06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
oooh I love all the different things you can use for albums - even more to add to my collection!!!

bdjeepers
06-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Amy, thank you for that link! It's fabulous! I went through the list and found so many ideas! I love the paint can album idea for keeping not only photos, but other little treasures collected on a trip. I can just imagine one containing the seashells I usually bring home from the beach! Plain ones can be bought at the home improvement stores, so they'd be easy to decorate with
"beachy" themed things or a roadmap or whatever!

Babette
06-20-2007, 07:26 AM
WOW ... some really interesting ideas!

alfenner
06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I, too, like to make things out of unexpected stuff! I've used the paint cans as "gift bags" many times, but never like that! I can't wait to try some of these out -- will come in handy come Christmas time!!!

HollyS
06-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Amy, how are you going to assemble all your circle layouts? I haven't got a clue :)

alfenner
06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Amy, how are you going to assemble all your circle layouts? I haven't got a clue :)

Well, you take and drill a 1/8" hole through the CD's (you know those million you get in the mail, or the ones you burned to but then realized you'd already burned that........etc), punch that hole in your LO's once printed, adhere them to either side of the discs (that's what I'm not sure about -- what adhesive to use......mono? sticky tape?), then you can either tie them together with ribbons, or thread a key-ring thingy (like a binder ring, only loose) in there (I know there's a technical term for it, I just can't think what it is!!!). I can't wait to get it assembled.......I'll have to take pics of it when I"m through.......

ckbymommy
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
(that's what I'm not sure about -- what adhesive to use......mono? sticky tape?)

I would go with either spray adhesive, that adhesive that is on sheets, or if you have a big enough xyron it would probably be the easiest to use.

edit: thought of a couple more - there is acid free liquid glue that you can brush on, or just use a little sticky take to hold each side in place then laminate each disk. Or use self adhesive disk lables to print onto (though this wouldn't be acid free).

I was also thinking, why put a CD in the middle? why not just adhere the two pages together and laminate?

Oh, yeah, and even loose, I believe those rings are just called binder rings

alfenner
06-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Oh I hadn't thought about spray adhesive...........I did think about the disc labels, but they have the hole in the middle (which I didn't plan on using)..........I think that the CD just gives it more reinforcement........laminating is really expensive here, so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible!

Thanks for brainstorming with me!

bdjeepers
06-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I knew I had an old Bandaid tin, so I pulled it out today and sanded it. Off I went to the store and bought red spray paint and star stickers to decorate it with. Before I went, I made a template for the pictures which will go inside, and did simple mini-layouts; there are 8 to a page, and each is 2.5" by 3.5", with rounded corners. (I also made a template with square corners) I printed the sheet and had it laminated. Tomorrow I'll paint and decorate the tin and cut out the photos to go inside. I'll share the templates for anyone who can use pngs, and I think I can do psds, too. I may need to ask for some help there! This is going to be a quick and easy but inexpensive little project (maybe $5.00 or less total), and I can add more photos to tuck in Stephen's weekly cards as the year goes by. I'll post a photo of the finished project for you all to see.

alfenner
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
That's going to be soooo adorable!!! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

babydoe
06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I really want to see your project too. Sounds great.

bdjeepers
06-23-2007, 08:08 AM
All finished! Here's the photo of Stephen's Little Tin Album...... It was a fast and easy project to do. The only trouble I had was re-attaching the lid, but it works.

babydoe
06-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Aren't you just the craftiest one!!! So cute--kind of like ATC's in a box only better. Now you need to do a tutorial on this project.:love-smiley-011:

bdjeepers
06-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Aren't you just the craftiest one!!! So cute--kind of like ATC's in a box only better. Now you need to do a tutorial on this project.:love-smiley-011:

I have uploaded the photo template for the album in the community member freebies. It will be available as soon as it is approved. It is a png; I'm sorry for those of you who prefer psd formats, but I just haven't progressed that far in learning a new program! If someone wants to do that, please feel free to post it - I don't put any restrictions on sharing freebies! There are also simple instructions in the post. The hardest part was waiting for the paint to dry!

alfenner
06-23-2007, 11:48 AM
That's just GREAT Barbara!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

bdjeepers
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Well, the Preview Post thingy isn't working for me, so I'm going to try for the third time! I made a keytag album today. Yep, I'm on a roll, LOL! I had samples of countertop laminate that they give away for free in the home improvement stores. It is even prepunched with a hole, so they've already done the hard part for you. I've used these to mark spare keys with for years, but today I put pictures on the backs. I have a download message pending in the Community Memember Giveaways forum with templates for two sizes of the sample laminates plus instructions and the photo, here: http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28706#post28706

Joyagg
06-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I took a paper mache box and cardstock and made an album for my Mom when she retired. I made an accordian album with the cardstock and adhered photos and embellishments, then glued one end to the top and one end to the bottom. It was a BIG hit at her party!

You can see it here: http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u140/JoyinHim/

Scrapcat0220
07-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow! Thanks for that link! I'm going to have to check that out... ;)