PDA

View Full Version : Hey, What's Cookin'??

Amanda
05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I have thought many times about posting a thread like this where we can share cooking/baking tips and just tell "what's for supper"! :) http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/artfulpioneer/My%20smileys/3dmfoodsmiley8.gif

Feel free to add photos if you are a foodie! :laugh: Recipes too!!

Precepts and Promises
05-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Aaack! This reminded me that I have NOTHING prepared for dinner tonight! Oops!:twitcy: Be back later!

britnkaysmemaw2
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Ours is leftover night I believe.

Last night I made Butterfly Pork Chops with Homemade Stuffing in the crock pot! They are sooooo yummy and get so tender! Love it!

I'm a big fan of the Crockin' girls website and found the recipe there!

Amanda
05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh that sounds good! I recently have stopped being a pork fan- just doesn't "set" well with me these days. ONly pork that does is pork chops. MMMM!
We had simple spaghetti- being in the middle of painting the room, I kept it simple. But you will be hearing about my Indian, Greek, and Latin American foods!

Precepts and Promises
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Well, I have carrot-ginger chicken soup on the stove and it's beginning to smell really tasty. I'll add some collard greens, too. :-)

Amanda
05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, that sounds like a recipe wanting to be shared!

Precepts and Promises
05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Well, then, here it is:
Carrot-Ginger Soup

2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken broth
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 cup whipping cream (I'm using coconut milk)
Salt and white pepper
Sour cream
Parsley sprigs, for garnish

Directions

In a 6-quart pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.

Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. (I use an immersion blender.) Don't fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Cover the blender and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender*. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with dollop sour cream and parsley sprigs.

I've added some cooked, cubed chicken and some collard greens. It IS yummy!

Amanda
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Cool! Thanks!!

Amanda
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I've had Carrot Cake on the brain. Love to make it from scratch, problem is, it doesn't stay on the brain. It slips down quite a bit lower, IFYWIM...
What are your favorite desserts to make?

criostirado
06-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I made this tonight by the Pioneer Woman

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2770/4320864576_05030ff87a_o.jpg

My husband loved it!! Its super spicy...which I cant do, mild salsa is spicy for me!

but if you like spicy he said it is delicious!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/cajun-chicken-pasta/

Amanda
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
That looks really good! We are having Chicken Parmigiana because I asked DH to get some chicken for fried chicken and he brought back chicken breasts! lo;
Used panko bread crumbs and it came out beautifully!

SparkysGirl
06-04-2012, 05:10 PM
We had Chicken Marsala tonight ... and, it was YUM!

Precepts and Promises
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
The Male is gone on a business trip, so I'll be making a grilled steak salad for one. :-( No dessert, unless dark chocolate counts...

Amanda
06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
We had Chicken Marsala tonight ... and, it was YUM!
I don't think I have ever had that- Chicken Tikka Masala- from India yes! haha!

Amanda
06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Today? Chicken Tikka Masala , Veggies in Cocoanut curry and Nan bread it was!!

Precepts and Promises
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Today? Chicken Tikka Masala , Veggies in Cocoanut curry and Nan bread it was!!

Oh, YUM!
We had pulled chicken over apple and cucumber slaw. From Everyday Food; it was rather tasty. It's supposed to be in a bun, but since we're gluten-free, it became a salad.

Art for Scrapbooking
06-13-2012, 08:05 PM
OMGosh these all sound so yum. Going to try that soup. I haven't made chicken marsala for years - thats on my list too. I have been eating healthy since holidays last christmas and trying lots of low fat healthy recipes. This is one of my favourites.

Chickpea and vegetable coconut curry

MY NOTES: I had it with quinoe instead of rice. I used fresh borlotti beans instead of chick peas cause i had in fridge. You could use any vegies but cauli is good in curries. It was VERY filling I couldnt finish mine which was less then half so kept for lunch lol. I think you could actually just add more vegies to the amt of sauce and control how much it thickens and you could get 2 lunches as well. otherwise make a double batch as it would be great reheated.

Ingredients

Olive oil spray, 1 spray(s)

Onion, any type, 0.5 medium, diced

Garlic, 1 clove(s), crushed

Ginger, fresh, 1 teaspoon(s), grated

Dried tumeric, ground, 1 teaspoon(s)

Ground cumin, 1 teaspoon(s)

Ground coriander, 1 teaspoon(s)

Garam masala, 1 teaspoon(s)

Honey, 1 teaspoon(s)

Tomato paste, no added salt, 1 tablespoon(s)

Sea salt, 1 pinch(s)

Pepper, any type, ground, 1 pinch(s)

Tomato, 1 medium, diced

Cauliflower, 1 cup(s), diced

Carrot, 1 medium carrot(s), diced

Zucchini, 1 medium, diced

Chickpeas, canned, drained, 1 cup(s)

Vegetable liquid stock, salt reduced, 500 ml

Evaporated reduced-fat milk, 150 ml, coconut flavoured

Coriander, 0.5 cup(s), chopped

Cooking instructions

Heat a large non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Spray a little olive oil into the pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until just turning golden. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.

Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander and garam masala and dry fry for 2 minutes. Add in the honey, tomato paste, salt, pepper, tomato, cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, chickpeas and stock. Stir to combine and leave to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through and the sauce has reduced. If the sauce reduces too quickly, add a little water to keep it moist. Pour in the evaporated coconut milk and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Divide the curry between serving bowls and scatter with the coriander leaves.

Energy in case you care lol

299.2 cal
1246.4 kJ

Not a very good photo as it tastes better then this looks lol. My daughter makes me post and facebook and put the recipes in my notes.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2081/55770010150687646116137.jpg