PDA

View Full Version : We had a kitchen fire tonight!

bdjeepers
06-19-2007, 08:13 PM
The oil boiled over and out of the deep fryer while I was making french fries tonight, and totally ruined my stove. We got the fire mostly out, but called the fire department anyway. The house was full of smoke and they did a great job of ventilating it with a huge fan, and of making sure that the fire wouldn't erupt again. What a mess my kitchen is tonight, though! DH threw cornstarch all over the burner, the floor, himself, and even the living room had some - don't ask me how....! Oil dripped down from the drip pan into the big pan under the burners, then into the oven and was on fire in there, too. Scary! We are both just fine - just the stove is toast! I couldn't face anything in there tonight, and having to explain it all to the neighbors, our kids, and so forth. I'll tackle the mess in the morning. We'll go shopping for a new stove tomorrow, so we'll be very reliant on the microwave for a few days, but that's OK, too. We were not hurt, and that's all I care about.

Maisie
06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh Barbara!!
How scary!!! I'm so glad you all are ok!!!

Xaria
06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Glad you are OK and everyone safe. Just remember to take some pics...

KattyZak
06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
OMG - scary stuff. Glad you are all ok and the damage was minimal.

twirlyjoy
06-19-2007, 11:42 PM
oh no - very scary - glad you are ok :)

ABitDaffy
06-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Barbara, I'm so glad you and you husband are okay! Sorry about the stove, but I'm glad that it wasn't much much worse. Do you want us all to cook you dinner and mail it to you?:wink:

bdjeepers
06-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Well, Daff, cooking won't be a real problem, but thanks for the offer! We have a big gas grill outside and the microwave inside, so we'll get along just fine with those, I'm sure. If I felt I absolutely had to bake something, I have a roaster oven, but then, I rarely bake anything anyway. After Hurricane Frances, my DS actually hooked up the coffeemaker to a power inverter powered by the car battery so he could have his morning java! Last night, DH elected to get a burrito out, but I nuked a hot dog, then we went to the mall to look at new stoves. I wouldn't have chosen the method, but I'm glad to get a new one; I really hated the one I had. I need a couple of new potholders, too. One pair now resides in the trash after moving the pot off the burner. Fires and burns scare me more than about anything I can think of.

HollyS
06-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Oh gosh, that is my worse fear with oil! I'm so glad you all are safe, nobody got hurt, your house is still standing and all you lost is your stove and a pair of potholders! Hang in there!

gigichet
06-20-2007, 05:03 AM
OMG glad to hear that all is well with you two...the stove and the potholders can be replaced. But I really think that you went to drastic measures just to get a new stove...don't you? ha ha

tborntreger
06-20-2007, 05:19 AM
Oh My Barbara. I'm so glad you all are alright! That is so scary!

bdjeepers
06-20-2007, 05:56 AM
I'm taking a break! I got up at 5:00 AM, had coffee while browsing around here as I usually do, then started in on the kitchen cleaning. Naturally DH would have all day meetings out of town today, so no help there! Greasy smoke means I have to wash down all the cabinets, walls, and every single thing in there and the breakfast room. It's about half done, so I think I'd treat myself to having lunch out, except DH has the car. PB & J for me today, then dinner out so we can get an early start on shopping for the new stove.

There actually was a funny component to all this. I had just received new pictures of Stephen in his new fireman outfit which is also a raincoat and fire-helmet style hat, but has toys to match, too. One of the photos was up on the screen when the fire started. The next photos of him showed him wearing a Home Depot Guy outfit! I guess I'll need that stuff, too! That's my boy - always ready for any job Momo needs doing, LOL!

sillyleann
06-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Oh my! I am so glad that you and your hubby are fine. How fortunate that it is only your stove. I assume no other smoke damage? Wow! That would totally scare me!! You are a brave one.

yvonnew
06-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Oh my goodness. I am so glad that you all are ok. Well atleast now you get a new stove.

Love4Scrap
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Barbara!~ We are all GLAD tol hear that you and the hubby are ok!~ I am just now getting to this,due to MAJOR STORMS that ripped thru the area LAST NIGHT AND EARLY THIS MORNING !....YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 75 mph winds ...... MY NERVES ARE STILL A MESS!!!!!!

HAD TO EDIT THIS BECAUSE I WAS NOT THRU AND HIT THE "ENTER" , BEFORE I REALIZED I HAD DID IT!!!!
HAVE FUN GETTING A NEW STOVE , I HAVE TO SAY THAT I WOULD NOT HAVE CHOSE THAT METHOD IN GETTING A NEW ONE EITHER , BUT IF THATS THE WAY THAT IT HAD TO BE ... I AM JUST GLAD THAT WAS ALL THAT NEEDED REPLACING, BESIDES YOUR NERVES , I AM SURE!!!!!! MORE THAN HAPPY TO HEAR THAT NIETHER ONE OF YOU WERE HURT!!!!!

ScrappinBikerChick
06-20-2007, 07:20 AM
glad to hear that you are doing all right! happy stove shopping :wink:

ckbymommy
06-20-2007, 07:25 AM
I am so glad you guys and {the majority of} your house are alright! When we replaced our stove last, we got a flat top and love it (though it did mean hiding the cast iron from the teens, hehehe).

If I lived close, I'd bring you something better than PBJ for lunch and help you with your cleaning, but, alas, I don't.

Have fun shopping for your new stove.

Andrea
06-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear you are ok and your house is spared. Deep fryers are scary sometimes.

Babette
06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
OH Barbara!!! How scary - so glad that everyone is okay though .... see? That's why I don't cook! <joke> Have fun shopping ... get one of those without flames! LOL

brandiwest
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
OMGoodness!! I am glad no one got hurt!! Sorry about the fire!!

alfenner
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh my goodness!!! So glad you're all ok, and (besides some bruised egos) nothing is too badly damaged (look on the bright side -- you get a new stove!!!).

TraciJ
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Barbara ... I know I'm late getting to this .. but I went on shut down after yesterday morning :laugh:
We've had quite a few overflows of our oil pan that sits on the back burner ... and it's always a scary thing!! It's a very good thing that my husband is so calm, cool and collected about everything because it counterbalances my panic!
I'm sorry that it ruined your stove, but look on the bright side; You get a new stove!
I know, it's one heckuva way to get one, but any way is better than no way, right?

bdjeepers
06-21-2007, 06:26 PM
All's well that ends well! My new stove arrives late tomorrow afternoon, just in time for dinner. DH got a little carried away in the appliance department, and surprised me with a new dishwasher, too! They are both just what I've wanted since we moved here nearly 5 years ago. I guess that must mean he expects me to spend more time in the kitchen, huh? One appliance for me - the stove - and one new one for him - the dishwasher. He does all the cleanup. I'll cook all day for anyone who cleans!

:vb_chirolp_iei: :vb_chirolp_iei: :vb_chirolp_iei:
I'm Happy - I'm Happy!

crops2dawn
06-21-2007, 06:43 PM
OMGoodness!!! I just wanted to say THANK GOD you and your family are okay!! What a way to get a new stove! Maybe you better get a Fry Daddy too, lol I dont know if they even still make them. But I'd I check into something along that line. Cause I wouldnt be making fries on the stove top again thats for sure! I am just happy to hear that your ok!!!!