PDA

View Full Version : Little Scrapbooks for Little Kids

bdjeepers
06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I just got an email that made me have tears rolling down my cheeks and have to share it with you. Once a week or sometimes more, I make a little card from scrapbook graphics with a matching envelope to send to my 2 year old grandson, Stephen. Sometimes I include a picture of a family member that he can keep just for himself. I knew that he loves getting them, but I didn't know he is so happy to have little pictures of himself. I had sent one a few weeks ago that was framed for him. Here's a quote from the email I just got after I noticed the framed photo on a bookshelf in their house in a picture that came by email today, and that I had asked about: "Steve got home from work and Stephen took him to it, made Steve close his eyes and kneel down then yelled "Surprise"! "Look Steve, it's Boy2"! (Stephen refers to himself as "Boy" much of the time.) He did the same thing with his Daddy when he came home, too.

Sooo, I am going to make an itty bitty album all about him that he can carry around and even put in his pocket. I'll have the pages laminated so they'll last longer. I think I can get pictures of all his favorite toys and his favorite places to go, his family members, etc. all for different minis that he can keep just for himself. I've found some cute ideas today for albums that fit in Band-aid boxes and Altoid tins that you can decorate. I know they have all sorts of tin items at the craft stores, too, that would work. I think it is a project!

TraciJ
06-18-2007, 01:57 PM
What a GOOD Grandma you are Barbara!! That's so sweet that your pages are so special to him!
I know that you'll make him something REALLY nice to carry around with him :)

babyofmine
06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Using the altoid tins, what a great idea! :D I know he'll love it. :congrats:

Love4Scrap
06-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Oh !~ Barbara, you are making Me CRY!!!! what a wonderful little Guy he has to be. You are VERY BLESSED!~ and the Idea that you have , and what you have already been doing is THE BEST!!!!! WAY TO GO TO HE #1 grandma in His Eyes!!!!! he will treasure that FOREVER!!!! I know you WILL AND DO TO!!!! YOU are amazing!~ HATS OFF TO THE #1 GRANDMA!!!

bdjeepers
06-18-2007, 07:31 PM
My greater involvement with my grandson on a large scale came about rather suddenly out of need. His mother is, shall we say - "out of touch" and hopefully out of his life for good. I don't want to go into details, but I am just very thankful that my son learned some truths, also very suddenly and unexpectedly, that required him to remove Stephen immediately on his second birthday and place him in our care. My oldest son then stepped in, and along with his WONDERFUL lady, and have had him in their home for nearly a year now. Stephen named me Momo, which I think is a substitute word for Mama. He has never mentioned her since he left. For that, we are all very grateful, as he seemed relieved from the beginning, and I think by now he has totally forgotten her.

The evening I arrived with my youngest son, Greg, after a 900 mile rush trip, Stephen took my hand and led me into my cousin's living room (my son had taken him to a safe place with family) to her rocking chair. I asked him if he wanted for me to rock him, and he nodded his head. I sat down, put him on my lap, and he cuddled into me like an infant would, and kept quietly saying, "Momo, Momo....over and over". I promised him over and over that Momo loves him so much, and was going to make sure he is always taken care of and he didn't need to be afraid any more. The minute his Uncle Steve heard what had happened he said "Mom, bring him to me". He has had the best of homes ever since, and I'm so proud of the toughness and courage he has shown in overcoming a tragedy. Even though they have moved to another state now, Stephen has his own kid's cell phone, and we talk very often, and of course, he gets his Momo cards every week without fail. His Daddy travels but will soon be with him every week and hopefully can start the new business he wants so that he can be home every day and assume full-time care. This story has had a happy ending so far, and I'm sure that will continue.

I take such pleasure in getting to know some of you young mothers out there doing the right thing for your children. I can tell how much they are loved. I wish Stephen had had a mother like so many of you. My greatest reward at this time in life is seeing my sons helping each other with whatever is needed, and doing whatever is necessary. It's called family. (And being a Momo is just the best thing in the whole world!)

yin
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
It's wonderful to hear how things are working out for little Stephen, even in the face of a "tragedy", yes, family that come together is so important and such a blessing, even making something better out of something "bad". It's God's gift to us, I always tell my boys, and I hope they will stand by each other just as yours have. You're a wonderful mama and momo, Barbara, I don't have the right words to say it, but just am very glad to know you and thank you for your sharing and encouragement. May things continue to work out right and well for your family!!

Maisie
06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Aw... I'm crying! Stephen is so lucky to have you Momo!

bdjeepers
06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Mary, Stephen is the lucky one to have his Uncle Steve and Aunt Lauren and his Daddy, and I am, too, to be the Momo. Yin, thank you for your good wishes, and I know that with mothers like you and so many others that I see here, you, too will have the rewards some day when your children are grown. There's nothing more important than family togetherness, especially when it comes to the youngest members. There are so many ugly things in the world today that I never had to face; things that makes the little ones so much more vulnerable.

Hug your babies and grandbabies - tell them often how much you love them - and keep them close to your heart. Discipline with love, and provide them with parameters they need. They'll learn, and they'll pass it to future generations, which is the best hope we all have for a safer world for them to live in. You moms and grandmothers here have shown me that you're doing a GREAT job!

twirlyjoy
06-18-2007, 10:46 PM
awww Barbara - you are a very special lady and sounds as though you have a very special family too - hope things continue to have a happy ending for you all.

MaggieMae
06-18-2007, 11:22 PM
This has been inspiring! And he's so lucky to have you for his grandma!! Bless you!:love-smiley-011:

HollyS
06-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Wow, I have tears in my eyes reading through this thread! Barbara, you truly have such a good heart and that shows in all the kind, thoughtful and inspirational words you speak to our community! You are so right that it's all about family and family is the sum of parts which makes each family member very important! I love the ideas of yours to not only keep the bond going between you and Stephen but also lend a sense of familiarity and comfort to him with your little book you'll be creating for him! Thanks for sharing!

ABitDaffy
06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Barbara, my heart just broke for Stephen when I read about the rocking chair at your cousin's, but it rejoices when I read about the amazing support and love that he's received from his family every day since then. He's such a happy little boy in the pictures that you've scrapped of him! I just think it is so awesome when aunts and uncles step up and do whatever needs to be done. I know that in the same boat, my sister and my brother would be there for my kids and I know that I would do anything for theirs. You did a great job raising those boys of yours! I hope that I can raise my daughters to be that supportive of each other. When you make Stephen's little book, will you post a picture so we can all see how cute it is?