PDA

View Full Version : Questions for everyone!!!

createdbyjill
04-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Based on a recent poll, courtesy of Amanda,....these were the top 4 themes you liked:

Vintage
Themed
Everyday
Grungy

What is it you like about them? What do you look for when buying a vintage themed kit. Are there certain color schemes and elements you look for?

To the designers....what makes a kit have a vintage feel?

As for themed kits....what themes are you looking for?

Everyday kits.....are there certain colors you return to over and over again? Tell tell!!

Tell me what makes a kit have that grungy edge!

Can't wait to read these responses!!

bombalurina59
04-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Vintage kits: I love soft, muted colours in a vintage kit and papers that have that slightly worn look. They can have torn edges or they can resemble old newspapers. I'd like to see lots of vintage frames (mostly wooden or shabby, not so much gold or silver) and I love to see many vintage fasteners. Some flowers and foliage are a MUST and also some unique vintage elements, like old postcards, suitcases or boxes, toys, etc..

Themed kits: Seasonal kits (spring, summer, autumn, winter), beach kits, boys' kits, nature kits and pets' kits. Also anything with an unusual theme, like circus, different types of sports, fairy tales.

Every day kits: My favourite colour is blue, so I tend to use that a lot in my pages, but for everyday LO's I tend to use white papers or white papers with lining. I think they make for a nice, clean design.

I don't use grunge all that much, so I'm afraid I can't really tell you much about that.

Hope that will help? :biggrin:

hugs
Andrea

createdbyjill
04-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Great answers!!!

donakat
04-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm with Andrea about the vintage kits. There needs to be a sort of worn look, with muted (but not muddy) colors, and a bit of romanticism.

Generally, I love all blues, greens, and purples, and dislike only the overwhelmingly pink color schemes (love to wear fuschia pink, but just like it in moderation on pages). I think I developed an aversion to baby pink when my mother used to buy me pink dresses as a child. I finally said, "stop, no more pink!" to that :laugh:.

Themed kits are great for scrapping kids photos and travels, but I generally like to stick with less specific elements, just using the colors that go with the photos and events and emotions involved.

As for grunge kits, I like the look, but am at a loss as to how to use it, I guess it's just not my way of scrapping. But I love the grunge textures in papers.

criostirado
04-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi!!!

Ok...I love vintage as well, but I kind of have different kinds of vintage that I like. Sometimes I like old and worn with items that they simply don't make any more. Then sometimes I like the soft muted colors, lots of flowers and greenery. Then sometimes I want bright and funky. But then vintage can be something from an era, like I LOOOVVEE flappers. That is probably my most favorite "vintage" period. I think that sometimes people confuse vintage with "shabby" or "Victoria" and while they certainly CAN be that I think that vintage can also be retro, anything from a past period.

Themed kits...hmmm...Im not a real big themed kit kinda girl. I very rarely buy seasonal kits or holiday kits. Although I am always on the lookout for military themed kits because I am trying to scrap my husbands career and I am always trying to find ones that I can scrap my rv trips. so unless it is for a specific project that I am trying to complete...I steer clear of them completely.

Everyday kits, I dont think I have a specific color that I like. Like in your other questions, for me to be interested in the kit its all about the preview...If I see it and am like...OOOOOOOO!!! Then I have to buy it. I have to admit I buy alot more than I use because I cant seem to pass one up that I like! :-)

Ok..grunge...I LOOOVVEE Grunge, its prob my favorite besides altered mixed media and ATCs. I think for something to have a grungy edge it not neat, a darker overcast, it looks used, splatters, dark edges, rips, textures, lots and lots of texture...things with creases, tattered, frayed,rusty, cracked with more texture. I hate to use the word "dirty" but that's what grungy means right??? there is a boldness to it, you wont find cutsie pastels or even bright primary colors. The colors are more muted with an edge of black or dinge to them. Does any of that make sense?? I know...grunge isnt everyone's cup of tea, cant really scrap with it, its more of a journal kind of thing.

Thanks for asking!!!!

createdbyjill
04-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Great answers!!!

norskinus
04-22-2012, 06:00 AM
As for themed kits, I enjoy being able to have a selection of papers that are more solid in color, which give me a better opportunity to work with them - cut, shape, etc. Papers with too much pattern sometimes makes it hard.

I also enjoy using specific elements for specific themes. For example when my sister and her family came to the US and we made smores for the first time, I would love to have a smores element on the page. (how about making a "Americana" kit with all things typical American?...) There are quite a few kits that are theme specific, I like those (ie cooking, camping, boys etc)

I haven't used much in vintage or grungy.

Everyday - I supposed if you journal and scrap about everyday life, solid or lightly textured/patterned papers, elements that have to do with home, commuting/going to work, homework, pets, garden, cleaning, cooking, home repair would be great. I wouldn't think of scrapping a page with only 1 photo for something like this, so templates for multiple photos would be great in a kit like this.

Thanks for asking!

Debra
04-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow.. this is all so informative! Thanks and definitely please keep em coming! *woot