PDA

View Full Version : Two questions for you!!

createdbyjill
04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
When shopping for a kit....what's the first thing that catches your eye and makes you think "I gotta have that!"? Colors used? Previews? Creative Team layouts? A favorite designer?

With that in mind (and thinking about how much use you will get from it)...do you look for kits that are overflowing with papers and elements or mini kits with 6 - 8 unique papers and 20 - 30 unique elements?

Can't wait to see the responses!!

Rositsa
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
This will be very useful for me too.
For me the most important things are: the color scheme, the theme and of course the preview and the CT pages. I guess everything is important :rolleyes1:

PattyB
04-09-2012, 11:04 AM
For me, the first thing is the elements. And, as I just love to cluster... I like it when there's plenty of spiky things and greenery to go with the flowers. I also like it when there are small elements to scatter in the clusters.

bombalurina59
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Like Patty, I looove to cluster, so I tend to look for kits with lots of elements, particularly lots of different flowers and leaves. I also like to have a large variety of papers so I can use the kit over and over again. I look at the theme of the kit first, then the colour scheme and last but by no means least I look at the CT layouts.

Amanda
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
My answer is a little different and maybe not helpful, but, I am always struck by the preview. If it intrigues me, or makes me want to make something, I look further. I don't care too much about size, big or small. I do care about variety and uniqueness. I don't like kits that have things so similar to kits I already have. Using it more than twice is not an issue, as many people I think have too many kits already, lol!! If I am not sure about purchasing a kit, I definitely look at the layouts!!

sharonbertolino
04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
First, colors catch my eye and then the preview. I don't care for a kit that has the same exact element in 3-5 colors. I do like a variety of elements in a kit. I love to look at layouts. I love when the layouts with a kit are shown with the kit preview.

donakat
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Color is always first to catch my eye, especially if I'm reading a newsletter with a lot of little previews. I just skim through till a color scheme catches my eye. or a particular preview stands out, then I look further. When browsing a store, though, I do look at the overall style of the kit, and the elements it has. I love plenty of stuff to work with in clustering.

SparkysGirl
04-09-2012, 03:48 PM
A pretty or unique color scheme catches my eye initially ... but ultimately it's something unique about the kit that will drive me to make the purchase. It doesn't necessarily have to be a unique element ... but maybe a pretty pattern on a paper or element that I haven't seen before or that will work with something that I need to scrap. I love beautiful papers! I like a kit that coordinates a beautiful pattern of paper with a solid. I love to cluster, too ... so I love curly strings, ribbons, leaves and flowers. This might just be me, but if a designer combines two elements to make one ... say a button with a bow on it ... I like to have the button plain, too (I like to do my own combining). Recently, I have grown to love plump alphas that coordinate with the kit, too. When I am in doubt based on the preview of the kit, I like to look at layout examples using it ...

SlidingKat
04-09-2012, 03:55 PM
First thing is the price (don't even give more than a glance to small kits priced in the $5+ range).
Second thing is the feel (somber, bright, calm, energetic, etc.). Although color ties into this
Third is the elements.

I prefer big kits and bundles. Use to buy kits for a single element (I had to have) but got burned too many times.

norskinus
04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I always look for layouts using a particular kit - to see how well the papers and elements can be used. I also prefer a kit where there is a variety of papers, and papers that are not all patterned.
Next I look at the elements, and the preview is always helpful for that.

createdbyjill
04-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Love all of these answers! Keep them coming!!

elenasworld
04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
The colors catch my eye at first, but then I take a closer look and love looking at all the previews and layouts made with the kit. The layouts are pretty much what sells me -- if I dont think I can scrap with the kit, no matter how beautiful. than I dont buy it.
I also love Bundles! I love clusters, but dont like to take all the time to do them. Fun word art grabs me too (since I stink at that).

I like to have a variety of papers in a kit, but I struggle with scrapping with patterns, so solids and texture always draw me in.

crlin
04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
I like to be able to see the elements in the preview - sometimes you think something is there and it is just part of the designers signature. I love to see layouts done with the kit as that shows what elements are there and their size also. Love things that are different or unusual and not just several of the same recolored.

criostirado
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
My answer is a lot like Amanda's. The preview is what draws me in. I am always looking for things that I don't have. I don't like cutsey wootsy stuff either, I dont know if that is because I like to Art Journal too and I prefer to be a bit grungy when I do that but I stay away from kits that are too pastel and have little animals and stuff like that.

I also prefer specific designers. I have three or four that I have just about everything they have in their stores (much to my husband's displeasure!) I've gotten so that when GDS puts out their collabs I can usually tell who did what elements or papers!

I too would rather have more elements as many times papers go unused for me...although I am trying to use each kit more.

ontiptoe
04-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Color is usually what grabs me first, elements are always a huge thing.

WyoSpring
04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I do have favorite designers, and I always look at their products.
I always look at "ease of obtaining" I have stopped looking at or buying from sites that I have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to obtain the page displayed or cost too much for what is offered.
I never look at pages, etc. that have whimsical, silly items like teddy bears and funny creatures. I Do NOT look at pages that are busy and piled with items. On the sample layouts I look for and like a place to journal or tell something about the picture posted. I do Not like a picture frame to be half out either side or both sides. I always look at vintage, old, antique, and heritage items.
I love:
newspaper looking pages, items, and I have special folders for it,
butterflies,
birds,
scrolls and journaling to be added to pages for descriptions, etc.,
tourquoise, aqua items and many, many more.
I have a folder for special sites that have incredible downloads, and a folder I call Awesome--which has pages I am definitely going to use!

I do think I am a collector and have enough for 3 lifetimes.

criostirado
04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
I already answered how I choose kits....but I have a suggestion!!! Today while I was scrapping, I was using a kit that had no greenery in it...so I had to go digging thru a bunch of other kit to find some greenery.

You know what would be cool...a set of basics....that had in it say a bunch of different greenery to choose from. There are all sorts of sets of frames, tags, flowers...stuff like that that can be purchased....but no greenery...I know boring...but it would be nice to have an assortment of different leaves, vines, etc thats in a go to set

anyway just a suggestion!!

norskinus
04-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I like criostirado's idea! I am a one-kit-at-a-time scrapper, but it is true that sometimes you want something specific, like greenaeries, that the kit you are working one doesn't have.

scrapn4christ
04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
I would have to say the color scheme & the preview is what draws me to the kit. I am like some of the others, I don't like the same item, but in different colors. I like to see a variety of elements with a few papers. I don't like it when we have to purchase mini's to get everything. I also have favorite designers & you just happen to be one of them Jill. I hope this helps you out. :wink:

Amanda
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I like criostirado's idea! I am a one-kit-at-a-time scrapper, but it is true that sometimes you want something specific, like greenery, that the kit you are working one doesn't have.

That is a super idea for the more traditional scrapbook designer!

criostirado
04-20-2012, 09:40 PM
I do both kinds of digital....I dont usually use greenery in my art journal pages! lol

mskinsey
04-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Color always grabs me first, and a well-designed preview is nice, especially when a designer includes a preview of the papers and even paper closeups that show 5 papers to a preview.

I also like to check out the elements. A kit needs to have embellishments to warm up or decorate the page, and items like flowers, greenery, brads, pins, staples, stitching, borders, frames, journal spots, themed knickknacks, and wordart are great. Hmm, I guess I'm saying that I like my embellies to have a purpose as well as look good, not be merely decorative.

I'm definitely into journaling, too, so I like elements that help get the journaling done and looking good in the process. To me, the story is what is important, the who, what, when, where, how, etc.

Most importantly, when I'm choosing a kit for purchase (or even a freebie to download), I look closely at the originality and quality of the items. If the designer relies heavily on CU items, I don't give the kit even 10 seconds of my time.

Told you I like to journal ... you should see how much I left out! :laugh:

Amanda
04-21-2012, 09:16 AM
I do both kinds of digital....I dont usually use greenery in my art journal pages! lol
Same with me, Christine!

mausilini
04-22-2012, 02:59 AM
That's a good question. When I want to make a layout I have a topic in my mind and then I am searching for a kit. For example I want to create a Layout with the pics of our last holidays so I will look for beach, sun and summer stuff. Very important for me are the element especially the frames and all the small things I can use to make a cluster frame...

techie girl
04-24-2012, 01:02 PM
For me.First I look for theme in a kit and can it be used more than once.I don't care if it's mostly girl or boy,since I can use both.I always look at the layout done with the kit before deciding to buy.I don't like to recolor so I always look for the color I can use as is.

tweederbug
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I look at the preview first. Lets face it, if the preview isn't the greatest, you just don't sell your kit. I will look at the elements and if in small print I see "Not All Elements Shown" and there are only a few in the preview, I pass. This just tells me that the designer has not put 100% effort into it.
Second, I look for greenery if the kit has flowers. I have not yet came across a flower that doesn't have some sord of leaves LOL! I like to add flowers but the greenery will make those flowers pop.
Third, the addition of elements, ribbons, ric rac, buttons ... those are things that I look for. These days, clustering is big and if they don't have items like this, you just can't cluster.
Last, papers, I am not a paper lover but I like to see a selection of patterned and solids. That is my rant of what I look for in a kit.

lharvey81
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
My first reaction is color. :) I then look for the details. I like to take kits and blend (mash), extract (cut out), and change the pieces to make it my own work. If a kit has too many "realistic" elements in it, I pass it by. But that's just me. ;)

Amanda
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
My first reaction is color. :) I then look for the details. I like to take kits and blend (mash), extract (cut out), and change the pieces to make it my own work. If a kit has too many "realistic" elements in it, I pass it by. But that's just me. ;)
That is one of the reasons your pages are so outstanding- you add yourself to them!

lharvey81
04-26-2012, 06:56 AM
I already answered how I choose kits....but I have a suggestion!!! Today while I was scrapping, I was using a kit that had no greenery in it...so I had to go digging thru a bunch of other kit to find some greenery.

You know what would be cool...a set of basics....that had in it say a bunch of different greenery to choose from. There are all sorts of sets of frames, tags, flowers...stuff like that that can be purchased....but no greenery...I know boring...but it would be nice to have an assortment of different leaves, vines, etc thats in a go to set

anyway just a suggestion!!

So, I read this yesterday and went home with a mission last night. I took MANY photos of all kinds of greenery in my garden and will create elements from them! I don't currently have any kits or collections for sale, so, when I have this set ready to go, I'll provide a link to download the elements for free. It's a good "first kit" practice project for me and I'd like to see what you think of them when you use them. Hope this helps! :D

PattyB
04-26-2012, 07:12 AM
What a good idea, I find myself searching for greenery in my stash too. I love the viney kind too, to weave in and out and around.

Amanda
04-26-2012, 07:20 AM
So, I read this yesterday and went home with a mission last night. I took MANY photos of all kinds of greenery in my garden and will create elements from them! I don't currently have any kits or collections for sale, so, when I have this set ready to go, I'll provide a link to download the elements for free. It's a good "first kit" practice project for me and I'd like to see what you think of them when you use them. Hope this helps! :D
You go girlfriend!

Amanda
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
What a good idea, I find myself searching for greenery in my stash too. I love the viney kind too, to weave in and out and around.
Heeee Hee!!! Did one for designers too!
http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/images/_amanda/otbds_GreenArt_PU_LRG.jpg (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&cPath=29_180&products_id=11329)

PattyB
05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Tee hee - got it downloaded already!

criostirado
05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
YAY!! I so need this!

lharvey81
05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, so I quickly realized that taking photos of vines and then trying to extract them from a photo is HARD! Still working on it! LOL.

Amanda
05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, so I quickly realized that taking photos of vines and then trying to extract them from a photo is HARD! Still working on it! LOL.
you keep at it! I have a few tricks I will share with you once you come back from your trip! ;D

msbrad
05-26-2012, 12:31 PM
hmmm interesting topic.
When I see a kit I can relate to - go with photos I have I'm all about it.
For me the CT LO's catch my eye more than the actual preview a lot of the time.
When I was scrapping my DD+SIL's wedding book [colors black and white and she had red roses], everything black and white caught my eye. Now, did I need 60+ different kits from 26 different designers for those 135 pages???? Probably not- but I sure had fun!:laugh:
m

scrapangie
05-26-2012, 05:24 PM
first the preview, this is what will give me or not desire to look at the kit in detail for possible future purchase
I also look at the colors, this is very important
and of course I always take a look at LO. they are important because everything is not visible on the preview and I like to know pretty much what is in the kit

these three things are essential in order for me to decide whether to buy a kit

a kit with a lot of papers and elements is really the best for me, I don't really like mini kits

Debra
08-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Definitely love to see example layouts of the product in use :)

Zphyr Cra-Designs
11-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Designers and the preview first. After, I look the quality of each elements... so I look the ct pages. I like real elements.

Maree
11-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I am going with what will make me do an impulse buy.
First color, the colors draw my eye and either lift me or bring me down.
Preview of the kit is really important, thee way a designer presents her kit either makes me have to have it, or pass it over.
I look at the shadowing on the elements as well, because how those elements shadow look is usually an indication of how easy or hard its going to be to do that myself.
If they dont shadow well, then my final layout isnt going to look great either.
I have in the past bought an entire kit just for one element.
Now I dont, I check out the cu stuff and get what I need from there.
The papers are also important, I really dont like bright and busy patterns, I find them really distracting in layouts.
So I look for some patterns and very subtle background papers.
Value for money is also important.
I also love the designers who sell the elements and papers separately. I find that is especially great for doing challenges and things at sites. And also because sometimes I just want a plain background but love the elements of the kit.

Mini kits are great if they have the right mix of elements in them. They are also great for challenges lol.

I have seen layouts in a gallery which has induced me to want to purchase the kit, clicked the link and the preview was so poorly done that it completely turned me off the kit, even though the layouts were what drew me to look at it in the first place.
I also love kits with splatters and things made with brushes.

These days I tend to buy more brushes than anything because you can do alot with them.

I also have my favorite designers and sites that I tend to purchase from. I like shop for all I want in the one store if possible.

jem_scrapper
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=createdbyjill;240474]When shopping for a kit....what's the first thing that catches your eye and makes you think "I gotta have that!"? Colors used? Previews? Creative Team layouts? A favorite designer?

*That depends entirely on what I'm looking for... but usually the colours & previews are important... otherwise I look for my favourite designers... couldn't name just one as there are SO many :love:

With that in mind (and thinking about how much use you will get from it)...do you look for kits that are overflowing with papers and elements or mini kits with 6 - 8 unique papers and 20 - 30 unique elements?

*Yes I look at the papers designs and colours & I also love LOTS of elements as I love clustering & using different elements on different layouts... sometimes I just look for special elements :D

Hope that helps :wink:

CountryStyleDesigns
05-14-2014, 06:21 AM
I look at the price first, then I go off of, what is the colors or the theme to the kit how much comes with it for the price. That kind of stuff.

AngelaK
05-14-2014, 01:03 PM
One or more elements have to catch my eye. I'm not after papers particularly. I prefer to buy smaller kits with what I am looking for than a kit bursting at the seams with a whole lot of similar stuff.

Blackthorne
05-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Same with me but the papers are as important. I dont need more than 6-8 papers/ 3 clusters
or two qps. AND the items should be in one style so they fit together. No gel objects in vintage kits etc.
I also care for the colours :balloons:which are sometimes too pale.
But that is only my personal taste. :hello:
------------

One or more elements have to catch my eye. I'm not after papers particularly. I prefer to buy smaller kits with what I am looking for than a kit bursting at the seams with a whole lot of similar stuff.

crystalrosecrafts
07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
I look at the elements and overall theme. I prefer medium sized kits. I want to have some choices but not be overwhelmed. Also, I prefer paints and graffiti. When I get the chance I like to make my layouts with an art-journal style.