PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the shadows!

norskinus
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh my! I am trying to learn more about shadows, and have come across what looks like great tutorials, but I can't even seem to make a shadow on a separate layer even! I will have - let's say - a flower on a page, and add a shadow to it, double click on the fx and can there adjust the opacity etc. But, all these tutorials say create a new layer for the shadow. I use Photoshop Elements 8, so I click the little square box at the bottom right corner which says - create a new layer - and it creates a blank new layer above the flower. But, how to I make a shadow on that layer? I really am clueless...can someone have mer:confused1:cy on me?

Precepts and Promises
03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Oh my! I am trying to learn more about shadows, and have come across what looks like great tutorials, but I can't even seem to make a shadow on a separate layer even! I will have - let's say - a flower on a page, and add a shadow to it, double click on the fx and can there adjust the opacity etc. But, all these tutorials say create a new layer for the shadow. I use Photoshop Elements 8, so I click the little square box at the bottom right corner which says - create a new layer - and it creates a blank new layer above the flower. But, how to I make a shadow on that layer? I really am clueless...can someone have mer:confused1:cy on me?

Shadows on a separate layer are a Photoshop feature. Unfortunately, in Elements, the shadows are on the same layer, UNLESS you make a custom shadow. Basically, you duplicate the layer with the element you want to shadow, place it below that original layer, select the item, fill with black, add a blur, adjust the opacity, adjust the color if desired, and then smudge, nudge, or warp.
I think if you search for custom shadows in PSE, you might find a tutorial or two.

britnkaysmemaw2
03-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I found a tutorial on You Tube tonight that shows you how to do a separate layer in PSE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTzd9NyIGm0

norskinus
03-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!

britnkaysmemaw2
03-08-2012, 05:25 AM
You are very welcome. Can't wait to see the results!

Precepts and Promises
03-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Cathy, you're awesome!